General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Trivia Question

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 10:55am
Hello,

I'm very impressed your uncle knew Joe Strummer was in the 101'er's!
Doubt very much he knew at the time. But he has a great knowledge of rock n roll. He was a fan of the early 70s Ladbroke Grove underground music scene that included The Deviants/Hawkwind/Pink Fairies etc. These bands definitely would've informed the likes of Mick and Joe with free concerts.

My uncle would take the piss out of me when punk came along saying he had seen it all before and played much better.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Marky Dread wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 11:51am
My uncle would take the piss out of me when punk came along saying he had seen it all before and played much better.
He wasn't wrong.

Great story, Marky. You really were there right from the start!
Jetzt das Kinderlied...

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Low Down Low wrote:
04 Apr 2021, 4:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Apr 2021, 4:30pm
Low Down Low wrote:
04 Apr 2021, 4:24pm
He's come back and said Canned Heat is the answer. I actually checked them out earlier and ruled them out. Did have half a notion it might be a bullshit question, JHE is a better answer than that.
Calling bullshit on that. The band is still active per Wikipedia, with the same drummer since '67.
Yeah complete bullshit. Who puts that kind of question on a trivial pursuit card anyway? That was a massive red flag from the off.
So what happened? Didn't anyone demur? Did the guy come back and explain himself?
Jetzt das Kinderlied...

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Olaf wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 5:33am
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
He's come back and said Canned Heat is the answer. I actually checked them out earlier and ruled them out. Did have half a notion it might be a bullshit question, JHE is a better answer than that.
Calling bullshit on that. The band is still active per Wikipedia, with the same drummer since '67.
Yeah complete bullshit. Who puts that kind of question on a trivial pursuit card anyway? That was a massive red flag from the off.
So what happened? Didn't anyone demur? Did the guy come back and explain himself?
Last i saw of it, someone mentioned the drummer being still alive and he said, yeah, but not original line up. Then someone else mentioned the first guitarist, also still alive, and he said, yeah but only in the band for a few days or weeks or something so doesn't count. May have been more yeah buts but i gave up at that point. Learned shit load about Canned Heat though so definitely not wasted time!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 12:44pm
Olaf wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 5:33am
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Last i saw of it, someone mentioned the drummer being still alive and he said, yeah, but not original line up. Then someone else mentioned the first guitarist, also still alive, and he said, yeah but only in the band for a few days or weeks or something so doesn't count. May have been more yeah buts but i gave up at that point. Learned shit load about Canned Heat though so definitely not wasted time!
The No True Dead Canned Heatsman logical fallacy.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Great story, MD!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen

Post by Wolter »

Great story!
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Inder wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 1:10pm
Great story, MD!
👍

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing