Trivia Question

General music discussion.
Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Re: Trivia Question

Post by Olaf »

I was gonna suggest famous German Oktoberfest band Kraftwurst. The complete band died when a beer tent collapsed.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Olaf wrote:
04 Apr 2021, 4:39pm
I was gonna suggest famous German Oktoberfest band Kraftwurst. The complete band died when a beer tent collapsed.
That works for me!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Olaf wrote:
04 Apr 2021, 4:39pm
:lol:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

I just realized Wally started this thread almost exactly a year ago. Choked me up a little.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Olaf wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 3:56am
I just realized Wally started this thread almost exactly a year ago. Choked me up a little.
Yesterday my uncle phoned to speak to my mum. He asked to speak with me afterwards. He asked me what I was doing so I says I was listening to Joe Strummer.

He starts singing down the phone "waah raah waah raah" his little joke about Strummer's diction. Yeah yeah very funny says I. He then says "hey remember when I took you to see Strummer" yep I says it was December 27 Hammersmith Odeon the Kampuchea gigs we went to two nights. Yep but that wasn't the first time you saw Joe live. So I replies nope I saw The Clash at Victoria Park RAR gig in '78. Nope he says you saw Joe way before that. What you talking about says I. He says don't you remember I used to take you to see bands when you younger. Yeah all your old boring hippie bands (he was a big fan of Gong).

Haha! Yeah but when I took you to Bracknell Cellar bar the 101ers were playing. Whaaaat I shouts down the phone are you kidding me! Nope he says definitively the 101ers all R n B numbers and a right scruffy bunch.

Mind blown I check the dates over at BMC sure enough the 101ers played Bracknell in '76 two weeks before they split up. Then I played Elgin Avenue Revisited and the last track is live from Bracknell.

This got me thinking about Wally (101) as we both went to see the band The Piranhas in Bracknell. Although we never met our paths crossed so many times through football and music. I miss him 'round these parts.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 6:30am
Olaf wrote:
Yesterday my uncle phoned to speak to my mum. He asked to speak with me afterwards. He asked me what I was doing so I says I was listening to Joe Strummer.

He starts singing down the phone "waah raah waah raah" his little joke about Strummer's diction. Yeah yeah very funny says I. He then says "hey remember when I took you to see Strummer" yep I says it was December 27 Hammersmith Odeon the Kampuchea gigs we went to two nights. Yep but that wasn't the first time you saw Joe live. So I replies nope I saw The Clash at Victoria Park RAR gig in '78. Nope he says you saw Joe way before that. What you talking about says I. He says don't you remember I used to take you to see bands when you younger. Yeah all your old boring hippie bands (he was a big fan of Gong).

Haha! Yeah but when I took you to Bracknell Cellar bar the 101ers were playing. Whaaaat I shouts down the phone are you kidding me! Nope he says definitively the 101ers all R n B numbers and a right scruffy bunch.

Mind blown I check the dates over at BMC sure enough the 101ers played Bracknell in '76 two weeks before they split up. Then I played Elgin Avenue Revisited and the last track is live from Bracknell.

This got me thinking about Wally (101) as we both went to see the band The Piranhas in Bracknell. Although we never met our paths crossed so many times through football and music. I miss him 'round these parts.
Superb, cool Uncle!

101W is much missed. I do google his daughter's name every so often, to check she is still on course for Olympic glory.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Great story marky. I was very lucky to have a brother a good bit older who took me to some good shows when i was a bit too young, but nothing of that magnitude.

Although i didn't realise the significance, happy to have resurrected the thread.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 6:48am
Marky Dread wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 6:30am
Olaf wrote:

Superb, cool Uncle!

101W is much missed. I do google his daughter's name every so often, to check she is still on course for Olympic glory.
He was rightly so proud of 50.5. :approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 6:53am
Great story marky. I was very lucky to have a brother a good bit older who took me to some good shows when i was a bit too young, but nothing of that magnitude.

Although i didn't realise the significance, happy to have resurrected the thread.
😎👍

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Ok Marky, I was already jealous of you seeing the Clash and XTC, but now you tell me you've seen the 101'ers!

FFS man! :mrgreen:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 8:27am
Ok Marky, I was already jealous of you seeing the Clash and XTC, but now you tell me you've seen the 101'ers!

FFS man! :mrgreen:
Yeah but don't worry I've never seen KISS. ;)

I might've seen The 101ers but I only have a vague recollection. And I was probably far more interested in my uncle buying me a fizzy drink. :disshame:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Incredible, Mark.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 9:09am
Incredible, Mark.
I did feel chuffed when he told me. But then I thought about all the other hippy bands I must've endured. Like Gong and Uriah Heep that said he did get me into Hawkwind and The Groundhogs who I both still like. I can only assume The 101ers were supporting one of the hippy bands. But I can't find any other info on the gig. My uncle couldn't remember if we went to the gig on a friends recommendation or if it was somewhere he just took a chance on. I guess something stuck with me because I did see a lot of bands later on. I've always had a keen interest in music. My mum said that once my dad had died I would immerse myself in music. I think it was my escapism from reality.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Marky Dread wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 9:38am
Silent Majority wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 9:09am
Incredible, Mark.
I did feel chuffed when he told me. But then I thought about all the other hippy bands I must've endured. Like Gong and Uriah Heep that said he did get me into Hawkwind and The Groundhogs who I both still like. I can only assume The 101ers were supporting one of the hippy bands. But I can't find any other info on the gig. My uncle couldn't remember if we went to the gig on a friends recommendation or if it was somewhere he just took a chance on. I guess something stuck with me because I did see a lot of bands later on. I've always had a keen interest in music. My mum said that once my dad had died I would immerse myself in music. I think it was my escapism from reality.
Yeah, that totally makes sense. Healthy way to escape, too.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I'm very impressed your uncle knew Joe Strummer was in the 101'er's!