Olaf wrote:
06 May 2020, 12:03pm

Arguments are overrated.
If that's true, my entire life has been a lie! X(
No it isn't!
Oh yes it is.
Ok Mimi you win. ;)
:lol:
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Re: Most overrated band of all time...

Post by JennyB »

Mimi wrote:
05 May 2020, 2:15pm
When I was a young punk, I didn't have the money to buy any band tshirts, so when I got a job that paid well, and hot topic had them, I bought a bunch of shirts--one Ramones and a few Clash tees. I wore them to work a few times and holy hell you should have seen the reaction from some of the guys. All of a sudden, I had to prove myself. Name some Ramones songs. Name other punk bands. (and this coming from a punch of podunk hicks) I quit wearing them. In fact, after that experience, I never wore them in public again. Assholes. Go stick your head in a punch bowl, Billy Bob.
Ahhhhh...the universal experience of being a female punk fan. When I interviewed for my last job, I had to submit a writing sample (it was mainly an advocacy position, but there was a communications element). It was an article I had written for an online Jewish magazine about advocacy in Judiasm. I mentioned in the article how the Clash was partially responsible for my interest in advocacy and one of the rabbis (the male one) quizzed me about my Clash bonafides. In a job interview.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
06 May 2020, 4:03pm
Mimi wrote:
When I was a young punk, I didn't have the money to buy any band tshirts, so when I got a job that paid well, and hot topic had them, I bought a bunch of shirts--one Ramones and a few Clash tees. I wore them to work a few times and holy hell you should have seen the reaction from some of the guys. All of a sudden, I had to prove myself. Name some Ramones songs. Name other punk bands. (and this coming from a punch of podunk hicks) I quit wearing them. In fact, after that experience, I never wore them in public again. Assholes. Go stick your head in a punch bowl, Billy Bob.
Ahhhhh...the universal experience of being a female punk fan. When I interviewed for my last job, I had to submit a writing sample (it was mainly an advocacy position, but there was a communications element). It was an article I had written for an online Jewish magazine about advocacy in Judiasm. I mentioned in the article how the Clash was partially responsible for my interest in advocacy and one of the rabbis (the male one) quizzed me about my Clash bonafides. In a job interview.
When I gave a lecture this past term about how male music critics and fans in the 60s established the gender rules of rock music (i.e., women play a supporting and service role, especially sexual), afterwards a couple young women chatted about how, yeah, that shit hit home for them. One was a metal fan who regularly was treated as an intruder by guys at shows. My riot grrrl lecture wasn't done live—it was after in-person classes were cancelled—but I'd expect similar reactions. Territoriality dies hard for guys.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

JennyB wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Hello,

I'm guessing you passed that test. Did you get the job? Did you start wearing blue and brown?

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

gkbill wrote:
06 May 2020, 4:21pm
JennyB wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Hello,

I'm guessing you passed that test. Did you get the job? Did you start wearing blue and brown?
Ha! I did and it allowed me to do some good work. But I still find that particular guy insufferable.
Got a Rake? Sure!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 May 2020, 4:15pm
JennyB wrote:
Mimi wrote:
When I gave a lecture this past term about how male music critics and fans in the 60s established the gender rules of rock music (i.e., women play a supporting and service role, especially sexual), afterwards a couple young women chatted about how, yeah, that shit hit home for them. One was a metal fan who regularly was treated as an intruder by guys at shows. My riot grrrl lecture wasn't done live—it was after in-person classes were cancelled—but I'd expect similar reactions. Territoriality dies hard for guys.
Bingo.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

JennyB wrote:
Mimi wrote:
*high five* I knew you'd understand.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JennyB wrote:
Mimi wrote:
I hope you let that rabbi drop.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 May 2020, 10:32am
JennyB wrote:
Mimi wrote:
I hope you let that rabbi drop.
:mrgreen:
Got a Rake? Sure!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Mimi wrote:
06 May 2020, 5:51pm
JennyB wrote:
Mimi wrote:
*high five* I knew you'd understand.
:angry:
Got a Rake? Sure!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I'm wondering if the US punk / hardcore scene was a lot less accommodating to women than the UK punk scene. There were plenty of women at the UK punk gigs I went to and by the time the scene had evolved into post-punk and goth there were many more.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 May 2020, 1:23pm
I'm wondering if the US punk / hardcore scene was a lot less accommodating to women than the UK punk scene. There were plenty of women at the UK punk gigs I went to and by the time the scene had evolved into post-punk and goth there were many more.
Yeah, probably. I just listened to an interesting interview with Kevin Seconds where he talked about how the really early days of the Reno hardcore scene were much more welcoming to women since the scene drew from a lot different things like the rocky horror crowd, theatre people, etc. and then once it got connected more to the larger hardcore scene it got a lot more macho and unfriendly to women.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Marky Dread wrote:
That's a real shame and a lesson of punk lost. Come one come all.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
07 May 2020, 2:24pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Yeah, probably. I just listened to an interesting interview with Kevin Seconds where he talked about how the really early days of the Reno hardcore scene were much more welcoming to women since the scene drew from a lot different things like the rocky horror crowd, theatre people, etc. and then once it got connected more to the larger hardcore scene it got a lot more macho and unfriendly to women.
Descriptions of the L.A. punk scene are the same. From the start, it just attracted weirdos of all stripes (including The Weirdos!), allowing all sexes and races and musical variety, but by '79 or '80, it became a more insular and aggressive white, male hardcore scene; from one that revelled in heresy to orthodoxy.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 May 2020, 3:15pm
Flex wrote:
07 May 2020, 2:24pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Descriptions of the L.A. punk scene are the same. From the start, it just attracted weirdos of all stripes (including The Weirdos!), allowing all sexes and races and musical variety, but by '79 or '80, it became a more insular and aggressive white, male hardcore scene; from one that revelled in heresy to orthodoxy.
I feel like every US scene I’ve ever heard anything about had that happen eventually. The arty kids got run out by the macho quasi-jocks.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"