I don't know, Brian Jones.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Most Overrated Band Member of All TIme

Post by Flex »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
05 May 2020, 11:27pm
I don't know, Brian Jones.
Mmmmmm, I feel like most normies don't even know who the fuck he is anymore.

I'm going with Robbie Robertson. After all those years, Kaleb finally convinced me.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Oh, and more for real tho, flava Flav

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

In a band that dismissed a member for many years for being a little too openly anti-Semitic, Flav somehow still manages to be an embarrassment.

I’d say David Lee Roth, but honestly I might also want to add Eddie Van Halen.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Flex wrote:
05 May 2020, 11:30pm
DISAGREE

Flex

Post by Flex »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
05 May 2020, 11:40pm
Flex wrote:
DISAGREE

Love those songs, but Flav has gone out of his way in recent years to make sure we all know how inessential he is to what makes PE, and those songs, great. Sad.

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Here's one that won't take the title, but I think is a good nominee: Luther Perkins. Obviously vital to Johnny Cash's beloved sound, but it's also obvious that Cash's backing band is stronger on At San Quentin than At Folsolm Prison and, generally, Perkins' limitations on guitar were holding Cash and his band back at that point. Still love me some Luther Perkins, but he wasn't the terminus of Cash's backing unit putting out great music by any stretch.

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
05 May 2020, 11:55pm
Here's one that won't take the title, but I think is a good nominee: Luther Perkins. Obviously vital to Johnny Cash's beloved sound, but it's also obvious that Cash's backing band is stronger on At San Quentin than At Folsolm Prison and, generally, Perkins' limitations on guitar were holding Cash and his band back at that point. Still love me some Luther Perkins, but he wasn't the terminus of Cash's backing unit putting out great music by any stretch.
He’s a weird case because I love his sound and I don’t think Cash becomes Cash without his contributions, but yeah. Though it’s kind of unfair to use his replacement at San Quentin being better than him given that by any measure his replacement was a charismatic legend in his his own right.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Generally speaking, drummers from classic rock bands (Keith Moon, John Bonham, Charlie Watts, etc). Yes, they are highly skilled and all that, no doubt about it. But to hear critics and fans tell it, the songs would completely fall apart with a lesser drummer. If you have to have a trained ear to appreciate all those special touches that they bring, they're overrated.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 May 2020, 7:49am
Generally speaking, drummers from classic rock bands (Keith Moon, John Bonham, Charlie Watts, etc). Yes, they are highly skilled and all that, no doubt about it. But to hear critics and fans tell it, the songs would completely fall apart with a lesser drummer. If you have to have a trained ear to appreciate all those special touches that they bring, they're overrated.
I could see an argument made for Charlie Watts, but Moon and Bonham were VERY distinct. It's hard to say "well, the music would sound different if someone else was playing it" without being able to hear it. I'm not talking about dusting off Kenny Jones takes of My Generation, but more of the hypothetical, "if Kenny Jones was in the band in 1963 or whenever, what would My Generation sound like?" We have no way of knowing, just speculation. Additionally, they (Bonham/Moon) are still thought of as lesser members of the band. If you ask someone who is more important to Zeppelin's sound, Page or Bonham, no one is going to say Bonham. I think they are properly regarded.

I may also be biased though.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
05 May 2020, 11:49pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
05 May 2020, 11:40pm
Flex wrote:
DISAGREE

Love those songs, but Flav has gone out of his way in recent years to make sure we all know how inessential he is to what makes PE, and those songs, great. Sad.
He is generally presented as an equal to Chuck D and probably as well known (certainly since his reality shows more well known) than Chuck D. That being said, remove his contributions from PE and you are still like 95% of the way there.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
06 May 2020, 9:28am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I could see an argument made for Charlie Watts, but Moon and Bonham were VERY distinct. It's hard to say "well, the music would sound different if someone else was playing it" without being able to hear it. I'm not talking about dusting off Kenny Jones takes of My Generation, but more of the hypothetical, "if Kenny Jones was in the band in 1963 or whenever, what would My Generation sound like?" We have no way of knowing, just speculation. Additionally, they (Bonham/Moon) are still thought of as lesser members of the band. If you ask someone who is more important to Zeppelin's sound, Page or Bonham, no one is going to say Bonham. I think they are properly regarded.

Yeah I would agree with this. Some drummers bring a distinct sound/style but how many people notice that?

matedog

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
05 May 2020, 11:38pm

I’d say David Lee Roth, but honestly I might also want to add Eddie Van Halen.
Not sure I get either choice. Overrated in terms of their actual skill or their importance to the band? Because DLR and Eddie are both super important to the band. DLR is a shitty singer, so I could see the skill argument there, but not Eddie. There's too many soundbites of guitar players talking about how much of a game changer Eddie was.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
06 May 2020, 9:32am
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yeah I would agree with this. Some drummers bring a distinct sound/style but how many people notice that?
And that's my point in saying they're overrated. It's not to suggest that they were crappy drummers or weren't influential or anything like that. Far from it. It's that critics and ardent fans over-emphasize how crucial they are to the band. But if most listeners focus on melody, harmony, voice, and/or guitar, going on about what the drummer brings is appealing to a distinct minority set of listeners. Those critics may argue that that demonstrates that the role of strong drummers is actually underrated, but they tend to overcompensate in their rebuttal.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 May 2020, 9:49am
revbob wrote:
06 May 2020, 9:32am
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

And that's my point in saying they're overrated. It's not to suggest that they were crappy drummers or weren't influential or anything like that. Far from it. It's that critics and ardent fans over-emphasize how crucial they are to the band. But if most listeners focus on melody, harmony, voice, and/or guitar, going on about what the drummer brings is appealing to a distinct minority set of listeners. Those critics may argue that that demonstrates that the role of strong drummers is actually underrated, but they tend to overcompensate in their rebuttal.
Serious question I have not through myself: If a component of music is less obvious, does it mean it's less important?