Most UNDERRATED Band Member of All Time

General music discussion.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Most UNDERRATED Band Member of All Time

Post by Flex »

We can discuss endlessly how meritless someone is, but who are the unsung band members who contributed more than they get credit for?

I'll start with Carl Wilson (and really to some exttent any Beach Boys member not named Brian Wilson or Mike Love). Carl led the band during some of their less commercially successful but highly satisfying late 60s and 70s studio output and really took control of the live band for a bunch of years to pretty good success. And his vocal harmonies were often worth seeking out even in the most dogshit z-grade late era Beach Boys material (as matedog has lovingly cataloged on his SiP dives). I think hardcore fans of the band recognize Carl's contributions, but I don't think there's any popular awareness of how the non-Brian and Mike members of the group contributed.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Most UNDERRATED Band Member of All Time

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Ringo. Consistently most people's fourth-favourite Beatle but nobody dislikes him. He was the steady and modest one, the one who handled the insane fame the best. He was fine letting the others be the stars, doing what needed to be done as a Beatle. He was basically the drummer for the band's persona, too. His odd speech also provided a number of catchy lyrics for the others. Such a valuable presence in the band all the way to the end.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Both Ringo and Carl are definitely underrated. Good choices.

I’m gonna say that Greg Norton is probably underrated because everyone can point to Grant and Bob’s contributions to Hüsker Dü, but he managed to keep them in a band together for almost a decade against all odds. Also, he was somehow the only straight one in the band yet he sported a totally 80s queer culture mustache.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Linda McCartney. Her triangle work was only surpassed by her tambourine.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

tepista wrote:
07 May 2020, 12:41pm
Linda McCartney. Her triangle work was only surpassed by her tambourine.
Plus no one credits her enough with breaking up the Beatles. It’s always Yoko this, and Yoko that.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 May 2020, 12:32pm
Ringo. Consistently most people's fourth-favourite Beatle but nobody dislikes him. He was the steady and modest one, the one who handled the insane fame the best. He was fine letting the others be the stars, doing what needed to be done as a Beatle. He was basically the drummer for the band's persona, too. His odd speech also provided a number of catchy lyrics for the others. Such a valuable presence in the band all the way to the end.
Ha, I was going to list Ringo in the Overrated thread. Generally a so so drummer that also happens to be probably the best known drummer. Not sure if well known equates with "overrated" though.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
07 May 2020, 12:10pm
And his vocal harmonies were often worth seeking out even in the most dogshit z-grade late era Beach Boys material (as matedog has lovingly cataloged on his SiP dives).
:cool:
Actually I prefer his Still Cruisin' contributions.

It's also worth noting he sings lead on God Only Knows and Good Vibrations. Arguably the two most important BB songs.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Geezer Butler, bassist of Black Sabbath. He was the main lyricist of the band but was often overshadowed by Iommi's guitar and Ozzy's Ozzyness.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
07 May 2020, 12:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Ha, I was going to list Ringo in the Overrated thread. Generally a so so drummer that also happens to be probably the best known drummer. Not sure if well known equates with "overrated" though.
Almost as predictable as death and taxes, drummers who dump on Ringo. :lol: I've read many, many times that he intentionally underperformed in the Beatles because he didn't think it was his role to stand out. Maybe that's a weird form of hagiography, but that's the standard line amongst Beatles scholars.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Christine McVie
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

JennyB wrote:
07 May 2020, 2:40pm
Christine McVie
She definitely made lovin’ fun.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

revbob wrote:
07 May 2020, 1:19pm
Geezer Butler, bassist of Black Sabbath. He was the main lyricist of the band but was often overshadowed by Iommi's guitar and Ozzy's Ozzyness.
I think the only Sabbath member that’s probably correctly rated is Bill Ward.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I’ll nominate Cathal Smyth of Madness.
Although originally he didn’t have an official role in the band the band will tell you that in those early days when he wasn’t there they weren’t the same band. He was the drive that kept them together.
He became major songwriting contributor with some of thier biggest hits including Our House.
He was also the driving force behind Madstock and the band reforming.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
07 May 2020, 3:54pm
revbob wrote:
07 May 2020, 1:19pm
I think the only Sabbath member that’s probably correctly rated is Bill Ward.
He's pretty highly regarded in drumming circles. Not Bonham level, but up there. Not sure if that's correct or not.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 May 2020, 1:20pm
matedog wrote:
07 May 2020, 12:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Almost as predictable as death and taxes, drummers who dump on Ringo. :lol: I've read many, many times that he intentionally underperformed in the Beatles because he didn't think it was his role to stand out. Maybe that's a weird form of hagiography, but that's the standard line amongst Beatles scholars.
Even if he didn't underperform intentionally, he did exactly what those songs needed. Being a drummer isn't just chops, it's having taste.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc