Kory wrote:
09 May 2020, 3:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 May 2020, 11:26am
Wolter wrote:
09 May 2020, 11:07am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 May 2020, 10:50am

Pretty amazing, albeit in a literally morbid way. How much does fame and success play into it all? Or were so many of these people drawn to each other by their self-destructive tendencies?
I mean, that scene was drenched in addiction before it even made it to the Buzz Bin.
Sure, but it's hard not to think that a bunch of people used to living day by day suddenly becoming absurdly wealthy and no longer private, that that turned a drug culture lethal. If Seattle doesn't become a national thing, how many of these guys don't completely burn out? I know that's unanswerable, but I can't help but think that these people were fundamentally killed by the music industry.
I don't know if you've been here, but Seattle is a depressed town. I'm constantly depressed, I'm sure those guys were too. Drugs help you forget.
Sure there's a high-paying and -rewarding job at Microsoft or Amazon or Starbucks! Is there a more corporate liberal city in America than Seattle?
I would have said maybe SF at one time, but not now.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Question for Kory

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 12:02pm

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 12:32pm
That would make a great final exam question: Critique this image.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 12:46pm
Kory wrote:
A: I am now blind

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 2:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
That period at the end of passion is rather off-putting, yes.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 2:55pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Periods are for boomers

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 3:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Periods are for boomers
All hail the reign of the interrobang‽

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 3:23pm
Kory wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 3:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Periods are for boomers
All hail the reign of the interrobang‽

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Where you at, son? It's been awhile since you've dropped a bass solo on us.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Apr 2023, 9:22am
Hey, I've been lurking around, but I had some shakeups at work and haven't had much time to actually post anything. I'm hoping that will quiet down soon. My manager quite suddenly quit, so I had to take on his workload, and as a result the team I was on with him was dissolved and I've been moved into another team where the the pressure to "grow" will be higher. Hoping my work life balance won't change too much once I get through this work wall but as I move more into being a developer and less as a designer, I suspect I won't be able to control it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Apr 2023, 1:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hey, I've been lurking around, but I had some shakeups at work and haven't had much time to actually post anything. I'm hoping that will quiet down soon. My manager quite suddenly quit, so I had to take on his workload, and as a result the team I was on with him was dissolved and I've been moved into another team where the the pressure to "grow" will be higher. Hoping my work life balance won't change too much once I get through this work wall but as I move more into being a developer and less as a designer, I suspect I won't be able to control it.
Yikes. Did the big boss(es) paint it as a promotion (title and duties, not income) to you, as well?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Apr 2023, 1:33pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yikes. Did the big boss(es) paint it as a promotion (title and duties, not income) to you, as well?
No, it's just a small reorganization. They didn't want to backfill the former manager's position, but since the team was just me and him, they needed somewhere to shift me so I wasn't just managing myself.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Apr 2023, 1:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
No, it's just a small reorganization. They didn't want to backfill the former manager's position, but since the team was just me and him, they needed somewhere to shift me so I wasn't just managing myself.
Damn. Being a team of one is usually when I'm most productive.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Apr 2023, 1:57pm
Kory wrote:
17 Apr 2023, 1:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Damn. Being a team of one is usually when I'm most productive.
Same. I'm good at managing myself so I was kind of hoping they'd just let me get on with it. But I know they're trying to grow me as a dev too so I guess I appreciate that I'll have support. I just feel a bit in over my head now because I'm the weakest developer on the team by a very wide margin. Makes me feel like a kid.