So- how didn't I know the new Wire was out?

General music discussion.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: So- how didn't I know the new Wire was out?

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 2:57pm
Kory wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 2:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 2:31pm
Kory wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 2:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 9:00pm

Coincidentally, I got an update email this morning!

tl/dr: We need more money.

Yeah that was my motivation for posting, I was sure you'd gotten the email too. It reads a lot like the last one!
Ah. I didn't know that you'd forked over your money. Even acknowledging the covid disruption, this project doesn't seem to have been managed well. I know that early on there were people pissed off about the rewards for sponsorship. At this point, I'll regard a released version as the reward.
Right, at the very least it seems like they're taking the project itself pretty seriously—I like that they've hired an actual editor. I hope the end product reflects the care they seem to be putting into it. I hope it's not just a bunch of praise from the talking heads of Flea and Anthony Kiedis.
I imagine the band would be disappointed with a lame celebration. As far as I know, they were good with Wilson Neate's biography, and it wasn't a lazy, backslapping effort.
Am I misremembering that they've mentioned that they've interviewed some people that were influenced by the band? That kind of thing always turns me off—I don't really care what other musicians think of this or that band.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 3:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 2:22pm

Yeah that was my motivation for posting, I was sure you'd gotten the email too. It reads a lot like the last one!
Ah. I didn't know that you'd forked over your money. Even acknowledging the covid disruption, this project doesn't seem to have been managed well. I know that early on there were people pissed off about the rewards for sponsorship. At this point, I'll regard a released version as the reward.
Right, at the very least it seems like they're taking the project itself pretty seriously—I like that they've hired an actual editor. I hope the end product reflects the care they seem to be putting into it. I hope it's not just a bunch of praise from the talking heads of Flea and Anthony Kiedis.
I imagine the band would be disappointed with a lame celebration. As far as I know, they were good with Wilson Neate's biography, and it wasn't a lazy, backslapping effort.
Am I misremembering that they've mentioned that they've interviewed some people that were influenced by the band? That kind of thing always turns me off—I don't really care what other musicians think of this or that band.
I think you're right about that aspect. And agree with you about the value of that kind of stuff. It rarely offers anything other than validation. Who care?
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 3:08pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I think you're right about that aspect. And agree with you about the value of that kind of stuff. It rarely offers anything other than validation. Who care?
"Who cares?" Is always what I think when I pull out my CD of Entertainment!. I don't give a flying fig that Flea thinks Go4 was a huge influence on the Chili Peppers, and I'm constantly baffled about why it needs to be on the liner notes like a book review.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 3:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

"Who cares?" Is always what I think when I pull out my CD of Entertainment!. I don't give a flying fig that Flea thinks Go4 was a huge influence on the Chili Peppers, and I'm constantly baffled about why it needs to be on the liner notes like a book review.
Y'know, I liked Entertainment!, but didn't know if it was proper for me to like it. So I only listened to it with headphones in a closet in the basement, late at night. But then, wowee zowee, Flea endorsed it, so I can feel certain that my tastes won't be ridiculed!
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 3:49pm
Kory wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 3:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Y'know, I liked Entertainment!, but didn't know if it was proper for me to like it. So I only listened to it with headphones in a closet in the basement, late at night. But then, wowee zowee, Flea endorsed it, so I can feel certain that my tastes won't be ridiculed!
I know, it's so weird the endorsement is inside the case. Like, you guys already made the sale, quit while you're ahead!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I'm listening to Manscape right now, Kory, you coward! Where's your god now?

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Mar 2024, 12:26pm
kory's god is probably listening to some dave or 311 :cool:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
14 Mar 2024, 12:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
kory's god is probably listening to some dave or 311 :cool:

(God—the real one, not Kory's twisted mockery—help me, I genuinely don't dislike Manscape, and there are chunks that I actually dig.)

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I haven't got one god. I've got all four(s).

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
14 Mar 2024, 6:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I haven't got one god. I've got all four(s).

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Five legit awesome Manscape:

And a non-album track that I think is the best of the batch, "Gravity Worship":

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I get Torch It stuck in my head all the time.