So- how didn't I know the new Wire was out?

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: So- how didn't I know the new Wire was out?

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 11:35am
Marky Dread wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 11:00am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 10:44am
Marky Dread wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 10:38am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 10:26am

Just for that, I'm *not* going to hunt it down. I hope you're happy, stink face!
Have fun *not* tracking it down.
I'm not even going to have fun not doing that. Now, excuse me, I have some lemons to chew.
Chew on this sourpuss.
https://mega.nz/#!ngdVBCLK!pdR0eZqVjnJJ ... MmqERlRtvg
I clicked on it, but screw you if you think I took any pleasure in doing so.
Pleasure is overrated.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

hairydot61 wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 11:38am
Marky Dread wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 9:43am
hairydot61 wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 8:14am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 May 2018, 3:28pm
Between the Nine Sevens set and the Harvest re-releases, I've been returning to Wire a fair bit. Two things to say:

1) I have fallen in love with the "Our Swimmer" deconstruction and mutilation, "Catapult 30." It's hypnotic in its own way, especially when that deep bass periodically shows up like a gong.

2) The "Question of Degree / Former Airline" is the definitive Wire document. The A side is archetypal post-punk, with Wire's odd pop instincts married to early dugga, and the B side is perhaps my favourite Bruce piece—noisy, chaotic, funny, almost falling apart but maintaining integrity the whole way thru. It captures Wire's playful side, that "let's see what happens" approach. Without a doubt, if I could make a case for Wire with only one record, this would be it.
You may already have heard it but try Take away the lure of Salvage, by Andy Partridge, deconstruction of early XTC tracks, I would personally rather go to the dentist than listen to Catapult 30 again, :naughty:
It takes allsorts though, This Life.
Yep that's excellent and none of it is on the Fuzzy Warbles collection that the grumpy old Doc mentioned I bet if he didn't just dismiss out of hand without actually hearing it he might just appreciate it. I used to own the vinyl but that's long gone and I now have it plus more on the CD "Explode Together: The Dub Experiments 78-80" lots of deconstructions of White Music/GO 2/Drums and Wires tracks.

Side A (Take Away)

"Commerciality (Signal Ad)" (Andy Partridge) (3:08)
"The Day They Pulled The North Pole Down" (Colin Moulding/Andy Partridge) (3:50)
"The Forgotten Language Of Light" (Andy Partridge) (4:17)
"Steam Fist Futurist" (Andy Partridge) (3:09)
"Shore Leave Ornithology (Another 1950)" (Andy Partridge) (5:32)
"Cairo" (Andy Partridge) (1:52)

Side B (The Lure of Salvage)

"The Rotary" (Andy Partridge) (3:21)
"Madhattan" (Colin Moulding/Andy Partridge) (3:17)
"I Sit In The Snow" (Andy Partridge) (3:12)
"Work Away Tokyo Day" (Colin Moulding/Andy Partridge) (4:05)
"New Broom" (Colin Moulding/Andy Partridge) (5:27)

Track sources

Side A (Take Away)

"Refrigeration Blues" (White Music outtake; the lyrics were a poem called "Signal Ad (Saleable Futurity").
"Heatwave" (using the backing tracks and slowing them down).
"Millions" (using the percussion tracks and adding guitar and ad-libbed vocals).
"Real by Reel" (using the backing tracks and adding various sounds).
"Pulsing Pulsing" (using the backing tracks and adding various things with poetry inspired by Charlie Parker's "Ornithology").
"Homo Safari" (sped up backing tracks adding keyboards, vocals and handclaps).

Side B (The Lure of Salvage)

"Helicopter" (improvised guitar/singing/yelling over drums, bass and percussion tracks).
"That Is The Way" (backing track with new sounds added).
"Roads Girdle the Globe" (slowed-down backing track of the bridge with poem and sounds added).
"Red / Day In Day Out" (original beginning, then all nine of Barry Andrews' sax parts from "Red" played simultaneously, and "Day In Day Out" sped up with a new bass line).
"Making Plans For Nigel" (new lyrics and sounds to the backing tracks).

Each to their own of course.
Not heard they Explode together collection, I see theres one on the auction site from usa, no bids at the mo, I have the vinyl of 'Take away' and do play it now and again, its got more melody than the Wire deconstruction for sure :approve: Dr Medulla, the extreme sounds you listen too have you heard any Mark Stewart & The Maffia, it has dated well and is a pretty challenging listen as that Wire deconstruction is, Mark Stewart did a couple of albums with On U Sound, As the veneer of Democracy starts to fade...and also Learning to cope with Cowardice are cutting edge for their time, Mark Stewart vocals needxa little autotune ;o) but the beats are Brutal.
Lee if you want a copy on CD then PM me your address. I've got two copies and one just collects dust. So all yours if you would like it.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

[/quote]

Lee if you want a copy on CD then PM me your address. I've got two copies and one just collects dust. So all yours if you would like it.
[/quote]
Very much appreciated Mark, will do shortly, thanks
. "Bikini Reds a state of mind,
I'm in a state and She don't mind"
  • Comforting the Disturbed and
    Disturbing the Comfortable

>>>>The Caped Curator<<<<

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 8:15pm
Kory wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 7:46pm
New Wire album, new Wire documentary: http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2018/ ... cumentary/
Missed the part about a new album in the email about the documentary. Yeah, I'll pony up Kickstarter money for the documentary because I'm an automatic Wire patron, but, being honest, I don't like the idea of them doing their own history. I question why it's even necessary given Wilson Neate's fine bio only a few years ago. And, based on that, there are strong opinions within over the meaning of particular events, and I'm wary that this might be Colin's interpretation of the band.
I'm sure it will be, but it would be great to have some vintage footage and maybe a full live show to go with the home release, if they wanted to be really nice.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 1:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
New Wire album, new Wire documentary: http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2018/ ... cumentary/
Missed the part about a new album in the email about the documentary. Yeah, I'll pony up Kickstarter money for the documentary because I'm an automatic Wire patron, but, being honest, I don't like the idea of them doing their own history. I question why it's even necessary given Wilson Neate's fine bio only a few years ago. And, based on that, there are strong opinions within over the meaning of particular events, and I'm wary that this might be Colin's interpretation of the band.
I'm sure it will be, but it would be great to have some vintage footage and maybe a full live show to go with the home release, if they wanted to be really nice.
It's not like they haven't released live shows on dvd. There's the Rockpalast show, the Oxford MOMA June 1985, and the Scottish Play. On the surface, at least, it just seems a thing to do because it's a thing to do, unless it's about undoing Neate's book.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 3:25pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
It's not like they haven't released live shows on dvd. There's the Rockpalast show, the Oxford MOMA June 1985, and the Scottish Play. On the surface, at least, it just seems a thing to do because it's a thing to do, unless it's about undoing Neate's book.
That would be very disappointing to me. Neate knows a punk group when he hears one eventually.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 3:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
That would be very disappointing to me. Neate knows a punk group when he hears one eventually.
Grrrrrrrr …
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 3:36pm
Marky Dread wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 3:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Grrrrrrrr …
It's only me. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
But they expressed their satisfaction with the book, didn't they? Also, where is this Oxford MOMA show you speak of?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 3:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
But they expressed their satisfaction with the book, didn't they? Also, where is this Oxford MOMA show you speak of?
It was in Oxford.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

As far as I know, yes, the book hasn't offended. I was just suggesting that that was one possible reason for a documentary only a few years later. The MOMA show was a bonus in one of their bootleg packages. You want an upload, senor?

edit: Oops, I was wrong. It was Bloomsbury Theatre, London, the following month.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 4:06pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

As far as I know, yes, the book hasn't offended. I was just suggesting that that was one possible reason for a documentary only a few years later. The MOMA show was a bonus in one of their bootleg packages. You want an upload, senor?

edit: Oops, I was wrong. It was Bloomsbury Theatre, London, the following month.
Please, unless the bootleg is still available, in which case I wouldn't mind having the DVD. Thank you!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 4:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Please, unless the bootleg is still available, in which case I wouldn't mind having the DVD. Thank you!
Here ya go: https://mega.nz/#!8dtRDQjS!p_qJAscnazdv ... qaLWpfirD8

If you want the physical dvd, lemme know. I can make a copy and ship it out post-haste.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 4:34pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

If you want the physical dvd, lemme know. I can make a copy and ship it out post-haste.
Thanks!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 5:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 4:34pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Thanks!
So, is that a yes or no to a physical dvd?