So- how didn't I know the new Wire was out?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: So- how didn't I know the new Wire was out?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
30 Jan 2024, 8:03pm
I have that change becomes us vinyl. It sounds so good. My favorite wire release, probably
I'll bet I was wary when I heard about them revisiting song sketches from 1980, but it's proven to be the last properly great Wire album. Really fucking good from start to finish.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jan 2024, 8:06pm
Flex wrote:
I have that change becomes us vinyl. It sounds so good. My favorite wire release, probably
I'll bet I was wary when I heard about them revisiting song sketches from 1980, but it's proven to be the last properly great Wire album. Really fucking good from start to finish.
I must confess I played it a few times but it never really grabbed me, and I filed it away... time to revisit, I think.
If I can find it!
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JohnS wrote:
30 Jan 2024, 9:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
I must confess I played it a few times but it never really grabbed me, and I filed it away... time to revisit, I think.
If I can find it!
Let me know if you've lost your copy and I'll upload one for you. I won't rest until you've changed your mind!
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jan 2024, 9:49pm
JohnS wrote:
30 Jan 2024, 9:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
If I can find it!
Let me know if you've lost your copy and I'll upload one for you. I won't rest until you've changed your mind!
You're too kind, many thanks! But fret not, I see that it's on Spotify (along with a very healthy selection of Wire albums - inc all the recent stuff, and the first three - although not, funnily enough, the expanded versions)
Colin may have sounded a bit troubled by Spotify in that interview, but at least he/Pink Flag are willing to use it.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Hugs and candies for change becomes us enjoyers, cement boots for change becomes us detractors.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Starting to think this doc is never coming out. It's like a new Cure album.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 8:17pm
Or Bernie's memoirs!

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 8:18pm
Kory wrote:
Or Bernie's memoirs!
Those Fabled Memoirs

Flex

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 8:23pm
Flex wrote:
Kory wrote:
Or Bernie's memoirs!
Those Fabled Memoirs
Our plan to have Maj liberate them when we sent him off to Bernie's Funtime Holiday Camp for Wayward Street Kids had the fatal flaw of it only working if Bernie ever let Maj escape.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
Coincidentally, I got an update email this morning!

tl/dr: We need more money.
Dear Crowdfunders

I’m writing partly to reassure you of significant progress towards a final cut of Wire - People In A Film. And also to outline to you in detail where we’re at with the film, and what we need to do to completely finish it.

Firstly - as with the rest of the world from 2020 - Covid interrupted the making of this film and impacted on its economy.

Nevertheless, much of the initial editing was done in lockdown and once travel became possible again we were able to complete a first rough assembly last May. However hindsight, input from the band and other factors led to us thinking there is a stronger cut to be made than what we have.

We’ve thus already spent significant time recutting and are some way towards a second cut. But the process of recutting has brought to light that there’s a need for new content to complete the film.

So we now have a detailed plan for further shoots with new interviewees, and have brought an experienced documentary editor on board. There are also discussions about possibly shooting more interviews with the band, bringing in their post-Covid perspectives on performing and working, and filling in perceived gaps in Wire history.

We’ve budgeted what we need to take the documentary to the point of having a cut ready to screen. This will be shown at a preview screening for crowdfunders that I believe can and should take place before the end of this year, even if we end up revising the final cut before the film reaches cinemas and physical release.

All of us working on this film are very aware and appreciative of your patience in awaiting this film after your good faith and investments. But I’m also aware that - having enabled this film - you want to see something substantial for your money.

Quite a number of people have written asking if the Crowdfunding campaign was going to reopen, and asking if the can contribute. Some of these have been people who missed the original campaign before it closed, and some existing Crowdfunders who have contacts who wish to contribute and want to know how to do so.

Having consulted with Crowdfunder, it’s not possible to reopen a campaign once it has been closed. Thus we think the best way forward is to invite contributions from those who wish to contribute via the film’s website.

https://www.wire-film.com/

On the page there is a button which enables you to directly donate via PayPal.

We’re about to update the website with this information. But as you are the original crowdfunders, we wanted to share the news with you first.

The budget to complete the shoots we need and recut is around £20, 000. Obviously we’re not asking for more money from you existing crowdfunders! But if you do know someone who missed out on getting involved, please let them know about this new drive.

We have a new and more limited range of rewards than those offered in the original crowdfunding campaign. But still plenty of exciting ways to get involved which can finish this film in style.

If we’re successful in raising this money within the next month, shooting will begin straight away and we can move swiftly to conclude the new cut. The aim being to complete it in the Autumn, and have a screening ideally this year.

Thanks again everyone for all your support to date on Wire - People In A Film. It is bearing increasingly promising fruit.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 8:25pm
Kory wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 8:23pm
Flex wrote:
Kory wrote:
Or Bernie's memoirs!
Those Fabled Memoirs
Our plan to have Maj liberate them when we sent him off to Bernie's Funtime Holiday Camp for Wayward Street Kids had the fatal flaw of it only working if Bernie ever let Maj escape.
Worst case scenario is that James could have become Vince, Jr. And even that's pretty good!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 9:00pm
Kory wrote:

Yeah that was my motivation for posting, I was sure you'd gotten the email too. It reads a lot like the last one!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 2:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Yeah that was my motivation for posting, I was sure you'd gotten the email too. It reads a lot like the last one!
Ah. I didn't know that you'd forked over your money. Even acknowledging the covid disruption, this project doesn't seem to have been managed well. I know that early on there were people pissed off about the rewards for sponsorship. At this point, I'll regard a released version as the reward.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 2:31pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Ah. I didn't know that you'd forked over your money. Even acknowledging the covid disruption, this project doesn't seem to have been managed well. I know that early on there were people pissed off about the rewards for sponsorship. At this point, I'll regard a released version as the reward.
Right, at the very least it seems like they're taking the project itself pretty seriously—I like that they've hired an actual editor. I hope the end product reflects the care they seem to be putting into it. I hope it's not just a bunch of praise from the talking heads of Flea and Anthony Kiedis.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 2:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 2:31pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Right, at the very least it seems like they're taking the project itself pretty seriously—I like that they've hired an actual editor. I hope the end product reflects the care they seem to be putting into it. I hope it's not just a bunch of praise from the talking heads of Flea and Anthony Kiedis.
I imagine the band would be disappointed with a lame celebration. As far as I know, they were good with Wilson Neate's biography, and it wasn't a lazy, backslapping effort.