So- how didn't I know the new Wire was out?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: So- how didn't I know the new Wire was out?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Still waiting on my copy of 10:20 to arrive, but downloaded it elsewhere. The new tracks (the "20") are in the same vein as the last couple albums, so set your expectations accordingly. Sigh.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I was listening to Pink Flag this morning and musing on how lucky the band were to not have been produced by Mickey Foote. Can you imagine the power of that album being hamstrung by such a thin sound?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 5:18pm
I was listening to Pink Flag this morning and musing on how lucky the band were to not have been produced by Mickey Foote. Can you imagine the power of that album being hamstrung by such a thin sound?
Why would Wire be produced by Mickey Foote?

Are you suggesting the first Clash album sounds thin?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
It helped that even at that early stage, Wire did not want to be a rock band. They were still figuring out what they were trying to do, but having a negative identity helped in the meantime.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 5:47pm
Kory wrote:
It helped that even at that early stage, Wire did not want to be a rock band. They were still figuring out what they were trying to do, but having a negative identity helped in the meantime.
They were very fortunate to get Mike Thorne. Working with the likes of Deep Purple and more so Soft Machine in the late 60s as a tape operator and having an ear for something a bit different.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 6:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
They were very fortunate to get Mike Thorne. Working with the likes of Deep Purple and more so Soft Machine in the late 60s as a tape operator and having an ear for something a bit different.
Very lucky, yes. It's conceivable that with a narrow-minded producer who insisted on a straight rock record that they just pack it in.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 6:08pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Very lucky, yes. It's conceivable that with a narrow-minded producer who insisted on a straight rock record that they just pack it in.
I'm convinced this is how they ended up on the Harvest label. Kind of the E.M.I. branch for mis-fits. They E.M.I. wanted the Pistols on that label but Malcolm was having none of it.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 6:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I'm convinced this is how they ended up on the Harvest label. Kind of the E.M.I. branch for mis-fits. They E.M.I. wanted the Pistols on that label but Malcolm was having none of it.
And arty nature of Harvest's acts would have attracted Wire. And then it turned out Wire were even more anti-success than Harvest expected.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 6:28pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

And arty nature of Harvest's acts would have attracted Wire. And then it turned out Wire were even more anti-success than Harvest expected.
I don't think Harvest had any ambitions at all for Wire. Lest forget Harvest had the biggest rock band in the world at this point in Pink Floyd.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 6:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I don't think Harvest had any ambitions at all for Wire. Lest forget Harvest had the biggest rock band in the world at this point in Pink Floyd.
Perhaps not at first, but my understanding is that relations between band and label broke down by Wire wanting to go in more avant directions while the label thought they could have some pop success if they tried harder.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 7:01pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Perhaps not at first, but my understanding is that relations between band and label broke down by Wire wanting to go in more avant directions while the label thought they could have some pop success if they tried harder.
Well then I suppose Harvest with the view of hindsight were partially correct. As the band achieved some small pop success on Mute with Eardrum Buzz.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 7:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Well then I suppose Harvest with the view of hindsight were partially correct. As the band achieved some small pop success on Mute with Eardrum Buzz.
Very small. Colin Newman has blamed Bruce Gilbert for scuttling the band's pop successes, but I really don't think any of them care for that, Bruce was just more honest. They could write some chart friendly-ish stuff but mostly put in a lemon drop to keep people away.

Also, I was wearing my "Eardrum Buzz" shirt yesterday. Because I'm cool.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 8:08pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Very small. Colin Newman has blamed Bruce Gilbert for scuttling the band's pop successes, but I really don't think any of them care for that, Bruce was just more honest. They could write some chart friendly-ish stuff but mostly put in a lemon drop to keep people away.

I agree you were definitely cool...yesterday. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 8:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I wasn't actually cool.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 9:41pm
Marky Dread wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 8:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I wasn't actually cool.
That's what makes you cool. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia