So- how didn't I know the new Wire was out?

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: So- how didn't I know the new Wire was out?

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 4:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 8:27pm
Kory wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 8:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 8:15pm
I've listened to it three more times and, nope, it's distressingly meh. I've got my ticket to see them in March, so I hope these songs translate better live.
My friend said the back half is more subdued/ambient, he liked it. I'm holding off listening until it comes in the mail.
Yes, subdued, but I'd hesitate to call it ambient. It sounds like the worst parts of Githead.
Finally listening today. I think Oklahoma might be my favorite at the moment.
The only stand out for me. The rest is all really safe sounding Wire by numbers. I'm not expecting ground breaking material but Wire need to step out of their comfort zone.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I've listened to it three more times and, nope, it's distressingly meh. I've got my ticket to see them in March, so I hope these songs translate better live.
My friend said the back half is more subdued/ambient, he liked it. I'm holding off listening until it comes in the mail.
Yes, subdued, but I'd hesitate to call it ambient. It sounds like the worst parts of Githead.
Agreed. Graham songs are almost always the best, tho him snarling "Oklahoma" is rather amusing (is it supposed to be?).

edit: According to the Limey contingent at pinkflag, shows this year have featured songs from Manscape and, amazingly, "Outdoor Miner."
Last edited by Dr. Medulla on 29 Jan 2020, 4:59pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 4:56pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Agreed. Graham songs are almost always the best, tho him snarling "Oklahoma" is rather amusing (is it supposed to be?).
A playful reference to the musical, perhaps.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 4:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 4:56pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

A playful reference to the musical, perhaps.
Or a warning to our own Bankrobber not to cross him.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Yesterday, on the plane, I listened to the most recent version of 154 (the deluxe edition) and was entranced all over again by its icy and dark beauty. And it got me thinking about why more recent Wire records sound, as I've suggested, only Wire-ish. Today, while walking and doing errands, I listened to the self-titled album, which I rate rather well, as a comparison. A big part of it is, I think, the absence of tension and nervousness or edginess. Both the music but especially CN's voice is just so much smoother. It's not exactly relaxing, but the current style of the band just glides in delivery, whereas the 1970s band was all kinds of stops and starts and, often, clipped speech. I think that's what I miss from the current band. And, fair enough, they're old buggers who are feeling okay with their legacy and all that, but the records only serve to elevate that initial blast of crearivity.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 7:49pm
Yesterday, on the plane, I listened to the most recent version of 154 (the deluxe edition) and was entranced all over again by its icy and dark beauty. And it got me thinking about why more recent Wire records sound, as I've suggested, only Wire-ish. Today, while walking and doing errands, I listened to the self-titled album, which I rate rather well, as a comparison. A big part of it is, I think, the absence of tension and nervousness or edginess. Both the music but especially CN's voice is just so much smoother. It's not exactly relaxing, but the current style of the band just glides in delivery, whereas the 1970s band was all kinds of stops and starts and, often, clipped speech. I think that's what I miss from the current band. And, fair enough, they're old buggers who are feeling okay with their legacy and all that, but the records only serve to elevate that initial blast of crearivity.
This sounds correct to me, and it doesn’t help to have the same smooth effects on everything too, it just sandpapers the edges off. Bruce is very missed, I realize more and more every album.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 11:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
This sounds correct to me, and it doesn’t help to have the same smooth effects on everything too, it just sandpapers the edges off. Bruce is very missed, I realize more and more every album.
I understand that Bruce was an utter pain in the ass to work with, but he was vital grit in the oil. Matt Simms is doubtless a superior musician, but he doesn't play the same role.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

The bar I'm soaking in is playing the entirety of Pink Flag and I thought of this thread. 😎

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

After a Talking Heads, Suicide and Replacements interlude, we're on 154. 😎😎😎

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Inder wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 11:23pm
Any word on whether any of the other patrons realize there's some new Wire out?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
"The Other Window" is serious pick-up music.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Feb 2020, 7:14am
Inder wrote:
I think Drill works pretty well.

"hey baby, do you dugga? DRILL DRILL DRILL."

Works the first time, every time.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 2:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Feb 2020, 7:14am
Inder wrote:
I think Drill works pretty well.

"hey baby, do you dugga? DRILL DRILL DRILL."

Works the first time, every time.
Mill thru my grinder, I'm grinding thru your mill.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Maybe this is over harsh after all Wire are still making decent albums worth listening to at this stage. But it feels like they are too comfortable being Wire if that makes sense.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 4:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Maybe this is over harsh after all Wire are still making decent albums worth listening to at this stage. But it feels like they are too comfortable being Wire if that makes sense.
I know, and I feel a bit shitty given how much I love them (and how much other Wire fans dig their newer stuff). But the newer stuff just doesn't move me much.