So- how didn't I know the new Wire was out?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: So- how didn't I know the new Wire was out?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 12:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 12:53pm

Listening to the He Said Omala album right now. Not counting the Dome records, it's probably my favourite Wire-related solo album. Graham Lewis' collaborations in the 1990s interregnum were generally exceptional.
I have the Take Care album by He Said, but I think I like this better.
I'm not especially keen on either He Said (or HALO, which is also just GL) but the He Said Omala and Hox albums are superb. Yet, from Dome to the present, GL's best work has been done outside Wire.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 1:14pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Listening to the He Said Omala album right now. Not counting the Dome records, it's probably my favourite Wire-related solo album. Graham Lewis' collaborations in the 1990s interregnum were generally exceptional.
I'm not especially keen on either He Said (or HALO, which is also just GL) but the He Said Omala and Hox albums are superb. Yet, from Dome to the present, GL's best work has been done outside Wire.
Yeah out of all of them, I think Hox is still my favorite. His daughter's work is quite good too, I remember you posted that a while ago and it stayed in my rotation for quite a while, actually.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 4:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 1:14pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yeah out of all of them, I think Hox is still my favorite. His daughter's work is quite good too, I remember you posted that a while ago and it stayed in my rotation for quite a while, actually.
Have you heard the album pre>He? Can share if you're interested.
http://www.wireviews.com/reviews/pre_he.html
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Fun review:
Attachments
174177226_10159477208634388_446951622437441774_n.jpeg

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 4:16pm
Fun review:
It lacks a comparison to Sam Cooke and Marlene Dietrich.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The last Wire song that I'd feel good with putting on a comp. Perhaps no coincidence that it's a Lewis vocal.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A rather un-Wire-like poster. Nothing about that poster is suggestive of the music you're going to hear.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 May 2021, 12:20pm
A rather un-Wire-like poster. Nothing about that poster is suggestive of the music you're going to hear.
Hey, Seattle!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

For those who insist on physical product: https://pinkflag.greedbag.com/mailouts/ ... 456-deluxe

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 9:07am
For those who insist on physical product: https://pinkflag.greedbag.com/mailouts/ ... 456-deluxe
The Send Ultimate set makes this fairly obsolete, no?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 4:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 9:07am
The Send Ultimate set makes this fairly obsolete, no?
Depends on your attitude towards edits. I listen every so often to the Redux set I bought via iTunes. It's no great revelation or anything, but the edits don't ruin things either. I might still get this to support the band and/or for the book it comes with. I'm undecided, tho.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I missed this a year ago, you might have too:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
13 Aug 2021, 9:43pm
I missed this a year ago, you might have too:

I watched part of it when it came out. Nothing to convert the unconvinced. :meh:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

For those thinking of buying PF456 Redux, the cd version does not come with Graham Duff's essay; must be a vinyl-only thing. Bit bummed because that was the main reason I ordered it (that and to throw a bit more cash at the band, especially for an album I love).

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I'm making a Wire playlist for Maggie. It's long overdue, especially since they played a hand in getting us together in the first place. I have an old two-disc one that I thought I could just give her, but looking at it now, I'm totally baffled at the songs I left off of it. I can't imagine who I made this thing for originally.

Back to work!