Bands you used to like...stopped listening to, but might consider again?

General music discussion.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Bands you used to like...stopped listening to, but might consider again?

Post by WestwayKid »

U2.

I was a huge U2 fan for 20 plus years. Saw them live 5 times.

I stopped listening at some point, however...and they completely dropped off of my radar.

For some reason I decided to spin War today and it’s a damned good record. I might reconsider my stance on relegating them to my musical past.

I have not been impressed by their recent music. They’re trying way too hard to sound like themselves, but I think they might be salvageable.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: Bands you used to like...stopped listening to, but might consider again?

Post by Wolter »

I go through phases with REM and Butthole Surfers. Both bands are bands I prefer in the 80s, like some 90s stuff, and then are...not what I’m looking for after.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I followed up War with October. I’ve forgotten how good that LP is. You can hear the post punk influence. Production is raw, but powerful.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Wolter wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 9:01pm
I go through phases with REM and Butthole Surfers. Both bands are bands I prefer in the 80s, like some 90s stuff, and then are...not what I’m looking for after.
Definitely REM with me. I struggle with their post Document stuff.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

The Scorpions
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Heston wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 9:12pm
The Scorpions
You're goddam right! If there is a smart man's metal act, that act is The Scorpions. Great name, great look, and they were a bunch of krauts. Klaus Meine and Rudolf Schenker were born to be the German representatives of 70s/80s metal. There is no way that Spinal Tap gets written without the existence of Animal Magnetism's cover art.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

WestwayKid wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 9:10pm
Wolter wrote:
They are absolutely perfect through Document. Then the next three albums have moments I really like but are less than the whole. Then Monster happens and I’m done. But I keep trying.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Wolter wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 10:50pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Wolter wrote:
They are absolutely perfect through Document. Then the next three albums have moments I really like but are less than the whole. Then Monster happens and I’m done. But I keep trying.
I agree here to a point, REM had some good moments. I can't get past how... soft they were. I forget who said it but some respected rocker once said, "I was just always waiting for them to just rock and they never did.". That said, I did a lot of fiddling with girls in high school with Out of TIme playing in the background. Wholesome stuff.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Probably lots of stuff. Wolt mentioned Butthole Surfers who I haven't listened to in forever.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

This happens to me all the time, but after I listen to the old albums, I'm usually set for another 5 years.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Pixies are a band that I'll listen to obsessively for a couple weeks, then nothing for years. No idea why.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Clash 2 every 10 years.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Wolter wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Wolter wrote:
I can listen to everything from Murmur through Document start to finish. As you said, it's a prefect run of albums. Green through Automatic I can listen to all the way through, but there are some songs that are clearly not as good. I could then take Monster and everything after and make one playlist of the songs I like...but I'd never listen to those albums all of the way through.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 11:05pm
Wolter wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Wolter wrote:
I agree here to a point, REM had some good moments. I can't get past how... soft they were. I forget who said it but some respected rocker once said, "I was just always waiting for them to just rock and they never did.". That said, I did a lot of fiddling with girls in high school with Out of TIme playing in the background. Wholesome stuff.

Hello,

I felt the same way about REM. They had gotten too soft and artsy (pretentious). Listen to the first three tracks of Accelerate. This was a short comeback.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Of their 21st c records, the only REM song that I can say that I like is "Imitation of Life." Cool, trippy video, too.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft