Toppers Boppers
Long Time Jerk

Re: Your song is 5 minutes, that's just my intro - the PROG ROCK thread

Post by Toppers Boppers »

Marky Dread wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 1:00pm
Toppers Boppers wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 8:09am
They call it new prog, worth checking out...

Isn't this the guy that remastered XTCs back catalog?
Yep, one and the same. Never heard his remixes though, think he had a go at Black Sea. Mostly remixed prog classics Yes, King Crimson, Jethro Tull and glam like Roxy Music.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Toppers Boppers wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 1:20pm
Marky Dread wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 1:00pm
Toppers Boppers wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 8:09am
They call it new prog, worth checking out...

Isn't this the guy that remastered XTCs back catalog?
Yep, one and the same. Never heard his remixes though, think he had a go at Black Sea. Mostly remixed prog classics Yes, King Crimson, Jethro Tull and glam like Roxy Music.
He's done all the XTC remasters. He seems to be quite respected for not brickwalling and treating remasters with respect. I like it!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

They get called a lot of different genres, but I would say in the way they are very technically skilled players utilizing tightly composed playing to produce challenging music, you could make a good case for The Dillinger Escape Plan being in the tradition of prog, even if most fans of strictly 70s style prog would call them horribly abrasive chaotic noise.

EDIT: I have no idea how they sound now. I meanly know the early stuff, like Calculating Infinity from like 20 years ago.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Wolter wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 4:51pm
They get called a lot of different genres, but I would say in the way they are very technically skilled players utilizing tightly composed playing to produce challenging music, you could make a good case for The Dillinger Escape Plan being in the tradition of prog, even if most fans of strictly 70s style prog would call them horribly abrasive chaotic noise.

EDIT: I have no idea how they sound now. I meanly know the early stuff, like Calculating Infinity from like 20 years ago.
Fugazi ?

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

revbob wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 7:24pm
Wolter wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 4:51pm

Fugazi ?
I wouldn’t say that. They’re definitely pushing the bounds of hardcore, but it doesn’t “feel” particularly proggy to me.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Grading final exams and a student referred to "Pinky Floyde" and now I will never not think of them as anything but that.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Dec 2023, 1:48pm
Grading final exams and a student referred to "Pinky Floyde" and now I will never not think of them as anything but that.
The troubled anti hero of my favourite Graham Greene novel.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
17 Dec 2023, 5:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Dec 2023, 1:48pm
The troubled anti hero of my favourite Graham Greene novel.
Ha, nice!