Post your own music

General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Post your own music

Post by Heston »

Much appreciated Marky and Maj, nice one!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Phenomenal stuff, hes
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston

Post by Heston »

Flex wrote:
24 Oct 2020, 1:48pm
Phenomenal stuff, hes
Cheers Flex, much appreciated.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Great stuff! I'm glad this thread is being used while my writer's block soldiers on.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 6:19pm
Great stuff! I'm glad this thread is being used while my writer's block soldiers on.
Thanks Kory. Writer's block can happen to the best, I'm sure you will find some inspiration soon. What is your usual songwriting method?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 6:42pm
Kory wrote:
Thanks Kory. Writer's block can happen to the best, I'm sure you will find some inspiration soon. What is your usual songwriting method?
Typically, I have a mood or tempo in mind first, and then I kind of work around that, even if it winds up changing drastically in the process. I usually have writer's block pretty heavy after finishing an album, like I drained myself. Then sometimes the block is discouraging enough that I just don't write for a while, which gets me out of writing practice and it becomes a cycle.

However, in this case, I'm trying to do a project in which the music is much simpler, which isn't my usual wheelhouse. It's been hard to fight my urge to make things more interesting by making them more complicated, and I just throw stuff away because it seems too cliché or obvious or boring. So I have to figure out how to get over that, I guess.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 6:54pm
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
Typically, I have a mood or tempo in mind first, and then I kind of work around that, even if it winds up changing drastically in the process. I usually have writer's block pretty heavy after finishing an album, like I drained myself. Then sometimes the block is discouraging enough that I just don't write for a while, which gets me out of writing practice and it becomes a cycle.

However, in this case, I'm trying to do a project in which the music is much simpler, which isn't my usual wheelhouse. It's been hard to fight my urge to make things more interesting by making them more complicated, and I just throw stuff away because it seems too cliché or obvious or boring. So I have to figure out how to get over that, I guess.
Yeah, interesting mate. I go through a similar thing after writing in batches, like the tank is empty. And yeah, I totally get your other points but sometimes a simple idea is the best idea. I just think of all those great songs with three chords and a rooted bass. But there's room for flashy playing too. And throwing stuff away is totally par for the course for me, I've got about 15 discarded demos/ideas from the past year.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 7:03pm
Kory wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 6:54pm
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:

Yeah, interesting mate. I go through a similar thing after writing in batches, like the tank is empty. And yeah, I totally get your other points but sometimes a simple idea is the best idea. I just think of all those great songs with three chords and a rooted bass. But there's room for flashy playing too. And throwing stuff away is totally par for the course for me, I've got about 15 discarded demos/ideas from the past year.
Oh I know, I love simple music. It always baffles me how much The Cure can do with so little—but I think it's a skill that I haven't developed, especially since I'm not really a lyrics/melody guy, so I'm not confident about my skills in covering up something that's lacking with that. I guess I'm just concerned about whatever I do for this project either being boring, way too derivative, or amateurish.

Heston

Post by Heston »

I know I posted this in the "Question For Heston" thread but I've given it a little remix so I thought I'd post it here...

Also here's a little bonus. A song we recorded and made a video for a couple of years back but ulitimately decided not to release for whatever reason. This one's called "Skin It Up" and in no way advocates drug-taking...

Last edited by Heston on 22 Apr 2021, 4:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Heston wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 12:53pm
I know I posted this in the "Question For Heston" thread but I've given it a little remix so I thought I'd post it here...

Also here's a little bonus. A song we recorded and made a video for a couple of years back but ulitimately decided not to release for whatever reason. This one's called "Skin It Up" and in no way advocates drug-taking...

Nice use of the Tom & Jerry cartoon clips in Skin It Up!
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Caution. White guy dancing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVU0qtDYsDw

Spiff sings!
Spiff sings!
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Spiff wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 11:08am

Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 10.07.29 AM.png
You got the moves. :mrgreen:

Nice one, Spiffy, I loved it.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Heston

Post by Heston »

Good stuff Spiff. White men CAN dance!

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Spiff wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 11:08am

Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 10.07.29 AM.png
Looks like you're having some fun and bustin' a move.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung