sonnyburnit
Junco Partner

Re: Post your own music

Post by sonnyburnit »

Kory wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 10:18pm
sonnyburnit wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 8:13pm
I moonlighted as a beat maker/producer for a hip hop project that me and one of my best friends worked on 10-12 years ago. Demos got passed around to some heavyweights in NYC & we got an offer from Rockafella which fizzled out but I look back on that time fondly, so much creativity flowing, lots of herb & fun basement studio sessions. Self taught myself everything from tons of different software/hardware, plugins, mixing & mastering techniques and although the recordings don’t have that professional radio-ready polish, I’m pretty proud of what we were able to do.
Here’s some assorted tracks/instrumentals: https://m.soundcloud.com/sonnyburnit
This stuff sounds great, definitely better than mine. I’m missing some kind of fullness that I can’t put my finger/ear on. I think I need to be more diligent about having a reference mix going at the same time. I’ll definitely be checking these out further this coming week.
Thanks!!!
I had an obscene amount of plugins that I was playing with at the time, compressors, eq’s, limiters, etc. I learned a little about each and I think I got them as good as I could am being a mixing/mastering novice. I was more interested in making the music but with no real musical talent, as in playing an actual instrument, I was drawn to sampling because it made my workflow easier and it helped me bring a lot of my ideas to fruition… I also knew that there wasn’t a great chance these would ever come out commercially so I wasn’t worried about clearance.
I used to play the tracks on our studio monitors, burn to cd and play in the car and on home stereo system, headphones, etc. to try and help with fixing some deficiencies, it was so damn time consuming and laborious. I have dozens of versions of most of our completed tracks with different vst’s used, little tweaks, etc. I really can’t believe now that I actually did it because it’s been years since I made a beat, I wouldn’t even know what to do now, it seems like a lifetime ago. I used Fruity Loops exclusively although I did dabble a bit with reason and a few others. I just found it to be the easiest as far as workflow and learning curve… although I only utilized a small % of its overall capacity as a DAW.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Kory wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 4:02pm
Was this only a limited time offer? It looks like the URL doesn't work anymore.
Should be working now 😎

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Inder wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 11:34am
Kory wrote:
Should be working now 😎
Sir, this is exceptionally good. How often do you make tunes? What else have you got?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

sonnyburnit wrote:
12 Jun 2021, 5:47pm
Kory wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 10:18pm
sonnyburnit wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 8:13pm
I moonlighted as a beat maker/producer for a hip hop project that me and one of my best friends worked on 10-12 years ago. Demos got passed around to some heavyweights in NYC & we got an offer from Rockafella which fizzled out but I look back on that time fondly, so much creativity flowing, lots of herb & fun basement studio sessions. Self taught myself everything from tons of different software/hardware, plugins, mixing & mastering techniques and although the recordings don’t have that professional radio-ready polish, I’m pretty proud of what we were able to do.
Here’s some assorted tracks/instrumentals: https://m.soundcloud.com/sonnyburnit
This stuff sounds great, definitely better than mine. I’m missing some kind of fullness that I can’t put my finger/ear on. I think I need to be more diligent about having a reference mix going at the same time. I’ll definitely be checking these out further this coming week.
Thanks!!!
I had an obscene amount of plugins that I was playing with at the time, compressors, eq’s, limiters, etc. I learned a little about each and I think I got them as good as I could am being a mixing/mastering novice. I was more interested in making the music but with no real musical talent, as in playing an actual instrument, I was drawn to sampling because it made my workflow easier and it helped me bring a lot of my ideas to fruition… I also knew that there wasn’t a great chance these would ever come out commercially so I wasn’t worried about clearance.
I used to play the tracks on our studio monitors, burn to cd and play in the car and on home stereo system, headphones, etc. to try and help with fixing some deficiencies, it was so damn time consuming and laborious. I have dozens of versions of most of our completed tracks with different vst’s used, little tweaks, etc. I really can’t believe now that I actually did it because it’s been years since I made a beat, I wouldn’t even know what to do now, it seems like a lifetime ago. I used Fruity Loops exclusively although I did dabble a bit with reason and a few others. I just found it to be the easiest as far as workflow and learning curve… although I only utilized a small % of its overall capacity as a DAW.
I use Fruity Loops too—it's by far the most intuitive. Then I take what I made there and import it into Logic where I do any recording necessary (usually bass, guitar, and vocals) and then mix. I also hate going back and forth to the car. I think I'm definitely going to hire somebody to mix my next solo project. I'm getting fed up with the whole process and I'm probably too close to it to do a good job anyway.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Kory wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 1:50pm
Inder wrote:
Kory wrote:
Should be working now 😎
Sir, this is exceptionally good. How often do you make tunes? What else have you got?
Cheers, kp 😎

I had a project on the go with some pals before the world ended last year, sort of getting back into gear over the next little while. I have some punched up one-man-band type stuff like the above to sort out as well, so lots of things to organize!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Inder wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 1:03pm
Kory wrote:
Inder wrote:
Kory wrote:
Should be working now 😎
Cheers, kp 😎

I had a project on the go with some pals before the world ended last year, sort of getting back into gear over the next little while. I have some punched up one-man-band type stuff like the above to sort out as well, so lots of things to organize!
This style is quite up my alley, so please be sure to alert us when you have some other tracks!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Inder wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 1:03pm
Kory wrote:
Inder wrote:
Kory wrote:
Should be working now 😎
Cheers, kp 😎

I was listening to this again and got curious—what type/brand of distortion are you using on the guitars?

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Just amp distortion/trem and phase with some delicately added gnarl in post in places (like the Christmas celebration at the end). 😎

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

So after not going near a pro recording studio for about 13 years, we bit the bullet and have been in The Bunker (The Clash played there on the busking tour!) in Sunderland to record an album called "Land of Tribes." It's being readied for release but I thought I'd offer up a free download here for anyone who wants to check it out. It's a half and half mixture of old and new material as we wanted to get some of our popular live songs recorded in decent quality. Mr Marky Dread has kindly lent his remastering skills to the project and a damn fine job he did too.

Here's the link...

https://mega.nz/file/2N1hwAgI#H-BENilbi ... 4gOGs40IiE
album-art1.png
album-art2.png
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

It's a cracking listen so grab it people.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Thanks, man!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Heston wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 1:58am
So after not going near a pro recording studio for about 13 years, we bit the bullet and have been in The Bunker (The Clash played there on the busking tour!) in Sunderland to record an album called "Land of Tribes." It's being readied for release but I thought I'd offer up a free download here for anyone who wants to check it out. It's a half and half mixture of old and new material as we wanted to get some of our popular live songs recorded in decent quality. Mr Marky Dread has kindly lent his remastering skills to the project and a damn fine job he did too.

Here's the link...

album-art1.png

album-art2.png
Thanks Heston! I put it on my iPod and listened to it while working out, really good stuff.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Sparky wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 9:13am
Heston wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 1:58am

Here's the link...

album-art1.png

album-art2.png
Thanks Heston! I put it on my iPod and listened to it while working out, really good stuff.
Thanks mate. Hopefully good working out music! I'm still trying to work out how to play them. :mrgreen:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

CrashCrapenter
Corner Soul

Post by CrashCrapenter »

My band put these two singles out in May!

CrashCrapenter
Corner Soul

Post by CrashCrapenter »