Heston wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 12:35pm
revbob wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 11:54am
Heston wrote:
23 Jul 2020, 5:42pm
WestwayKid wrote:
23 Jul 2020, 2:49pm
Just finished There Are But Four Small Faces. It's a fantastic collection of songs, obviously augmented by the inclusion of 3 of their greatest singles. It's an interesting mix of songs from the relatively quiet to the very loud. I tend to prefer the more muscular tracks. Talk to You is a favorite. Marriott's guitar riff is perfection and I like McLagan's little piano bit. Tell Me (Have You Ever Seen Me) is another great track. Man, Steve Marriott just might have been the best lead vocalist ever. Great slow build on I'm Only Dreaming. The goofy backing vocals on I Feel Much Better have always been a little off putting for me, but Ronnie Lane plays a great fuzz bass on this one and it also showcases how good of a drummer Kenney Jones was/is. The opening of Tin Soldier is one of my fave of all time. I love how they slowly layer the instruments until Marriott's shout of "come on" and then it's really gets going until they pull it back slightly for his delivery of the first verse. The Small Faces are another criminally underappreciated British band (especially in the US).
I've been saying this for years about Steve's voice. He had everything. Even Robert Plant doffed his cap to him as the best ever British vocalist.

Tin Soldier is one of those songs which is just sent down from heaven fully formed.
I never much cared for Plant's vocals.

I think he served as a good front man though.
Well I think you know how I feel about Led Zep. Never cared for them or Plant at all.
I do and what little I cared for them dried up ages ago. I can still listen to a few songs if they come on the radio but not many.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: WWK’s Work Day Music Challenge

Post by Low Down Low »

Not a Zep or Plant fan ever, but i did quite like that album he did with Alison Krauss, or as much as i heard of it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

One of the most cringeworthy attempts at being clever comes from a Robert Plant album (don't ask me what; it was my roommate's): "You were pumping iron but I was pumping irony."
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 4:26pm
One of the most cringeworthy attempts at being clever comes from a Robert Plant album (don't ask me what; it was my roommate's): "You were pumping iron but I was pumping irony."
Dear me, that's awful.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 4:26pm
His solo stuff from the 80s/90s was dreadful.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Plant's sort of interesting. I used to hate his vox with Zep like a good punk, but now I think they're fine. His 80s/90s stuff was pretty dreaful as revbob says, but post those collaboration albums in the 90s with Jimmy Page (which also weren't all that great) he got really, really good. Dreamland was the first album that featured a core band that I think he's largely stuck with through subsequent albums and they put together a really good, moody world-psych-folk sound that's a natural extension of Zep's less turned up to 11 moments. I saw him live a few years ago and he was great. I like his voice a lot more now, too.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 5:12pm
Plant's sort of interesting. I used to hate his vox with Zep like a good punk, but now I think they're fine. His 80s/90s stuff was pretty dreaful as revbob says, but post those collaboration albums in the 90s with Jimmy Page (which also weren't all that great) he got really, really good. Dreamland was the first album that featured a core band that I think he's largely stuck with through subsequent albums and they put together a really good, moody world-psych-folk sound that's a natural extension of Zep's less turned up to 11 moments. I saw him live a few years ago and he was great. I like his voice a lot more now, too.
I could see where aging would do his voice some good.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Not relevant but was in the car yesterday snd Smoke On The Water come on the radio. I haven’t heard it in years ( as I avoid heavy metal whenever possible) but I was surprised how ‘I heavy’ it sounds compared to other songs you hear now. It did not sound out of place on daytime radio put it that way.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

101Walterton wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 6:05pm
Not relevant but was in the car yesterday snd Smoke On The Water come on the radio. I haven’t heard it in years ( as I avoid heavy metal whenever possible) but I was surprised how ‘I heavy’ it sounds compared to other songs you hear now. It did not sound out of place on daytime radio put it that way.
Heaviness wise, it really isn't that harder than the Beatles.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:
07 Aug 2020, 11:15am
101Walterton wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 6:05pm
Heaviness wise, it really isn't that harder than the Beatles.
It’s about the same level of “Heavy” as, well “She’s So Heavy.”
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"