Another Reason For Remixing

General music discussion.
101Walterton
The Best

Another Reason For Remixing

Post by 101Walterton »

I watched an interesting interview last night with Eddie Rayner the keyboard player from Split Ends.
He has just remixed the bands most commercially successfull album True Colours for its 40 th Anniversary.
He explained that the album had never previously been 'officially' remixed and advised that after the original recording he had kept all the tapes (including the demos and everything) in a cardboard box that had been hidden away in his house for 40 years.
What was interesting to hear was the difference bewtween all of the versions of the album that are currently out there despite there only being one source (the original recording). He played extracts to compare and some were unrecognisable especially Spotify.
I have taken this explanation from a newspaper interview:
"I have both the original stereo masters from the 1979 mixing sessions, and the versions currently held in repositories such as Spotify….and they are radically different, sonically. The original masters are mixed, but unmastered, and the Spotify versions have been brutally, and probably repeatedly remastered... by whom, when, where and why, nobody will ever know. So for me, remixing to both restore and improve the currently-available mix AND the overall sound, for this 40th anniversary release, was a good idea."

Another reason why listening to your music on Spotify is not the best idea.

And as a bonus it is on coloured vinyl.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Another Reason For Remixing

Post by oliver »

Has anyone or any group ever released the separate tracks of a song so fans could do their own remixes? Seems like it would be something that both collectors and hobbyists might enjoy so I'm surprised record companies haven't seen it as an extra source of income. They could even release a 'fans remix' version of the tracks and wring a little more money out of completists and all at no real extra cost.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Another Reason For Remixing

Post by JohnS »

oliver wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 8:36am
Has anyone or any group ever released the separate tracks of a song so fans could do their own remixes? Seems like it would be something that both collectors and hobbyists might enjoy so I'm surprised record companies haven't seen it as an extra source of income. They could even release a 'fans remix' version of the tracks and wring a little more money out of completists and all at no real extra cost.
I don't know exactly how it worked, but Brian Setzer included multitracks in a super-duper box set thing in 2009

https://surfdog.com/product/brian-setze ... uxe-set-2/
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres