A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

Post by Heston »

I listened to these a few times last night but after writing my reviews I pushed a funny button on my laptop and they disappeared. So here goes again with an added listen...

Blackouts—It's Clay Again
Reminds me of the Cure without the hooks. Drags on a bit too at the end, never been a big fan of meandering soundscapes. 4/10

Solex—Mere Imposters
I wrote this off at first but it finally clicked with me tonight. I prefer it more musically than vocally but this is good. 7/10

The Exit—Pressure Cooker
I would have enjoyed this more if the drum accent was on the 2 and 4. Just leaves me feeling a bit agitated. Breakdown bit is good. 5.5/10

Lord Shorty—Higher World of Music
This is more my thing. Basstastic. Reminds me of a Eurovision entry from the early 70s and I mean that as a compliment. 7.5/10

Paul Kelly—They Thought I Was Asleep
Not a big fan of acoustic stuff. Well performed but doesn't tick many boxes for me. I listened to another song by him called Give In To My Love which had my feet tapping. 5/10
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Blackouts 6.5/10
Wasn't a fan of the vocals on first listen but they kind of grew on me. Musically, I found it really interesting but it didn't excite me the way some music can and I was drifting off around the 5 minute mark. I feel somewhat awkward in saying a song should be shorter because I have great respect for anyone who puts their art out there so I fully appreciate it truly is me and not them.

Solex 8/10
I'd seen the name before but never investigated. Regretting that a little now because I really like this. Of course, ever the contradictarian (if that is even a word), I wanted this to go on longer so I satiated myself by putting it on repeat.

The Exit 6/10
Some music I can appreciate without really enjoying and this falls into that category. There's nothing I can say I dislike but it's just... there, like I'm listening in blue and they're playing in red and it never really comes into focus. Sorry for waffling on.

Lord Shorty 7/10
Liking this a lot and loving the vocal from about 3:50 onwards. Again, I'm regretting my life choices because I've seen live death metal shows where I couldn't even tell that the bands had changed, never mind the songs but I've heard very few soca songs. Maybe it's a good thing though (so I keep telling myself) because I think I can appreciate the melding of cultures, like the musical evolutionary tree, more than I would when I was young.

Paul Kelly 7/10
On first listen I was a little disappointed there wasn't more of a pay-off in the lyrics but on repeated listens I think it's just right. I'd never heard of him before but he reminds me of a much less gruff and more polished Blaze Foley.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

The horns are the best part, the constant synth beat can go to hell. the song sounds best when it is at its noisiest. Also a bit too long. 5.5/10

Solex—Mere Imposters
Not my thing, but not terrible either. Sorry, no numbers on this one. I don't know how to quantify my feelings for this song.

The Exit—Pressure Cooker
Love the music, it takes off immediately and grabbed my interest. Not a big fan of the vox. 6.75/10

The music is great, lots of stuff going on fun to listen to.
7/10

I like the storytelling, who doesn't like a good story and who hasn't been in a similar situation. I just wish I knew what it was tbat upset his parents. I spent a good portion of the 90s and early 2000s listening to folk music and ignoring a lot of what was taking place in popular music of the day. I dont regret that. 6.5/10

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

oliver wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 7:20pm
Solex 8/10
I'd seen the name before but never investigated. Regretting that a little now because I really like this. Of course, ever the contradictarian (if that is even a word), I wanted this to go on longer so I satiated myself by putting it on repeat.
The album it comes from is so god damned good. I'm super duper pleased that Kory is promoting her to y'all.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 7:53pm
oliver wrote:
Solex 8/10
The album it comes from is so god damned good. I'm super duper pleased that Kory is promoting her to y'all.
So am I on your hit list for being indifferent?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 8:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 7:53pm
oliver wrote:
Solex 8/10
So am I on your hit list for being indifferent?
You've been a valuable ally in the war against Hestonism and BitterTomism. For strategic purposes, I choose to not attack you.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Ok new week, who's up?

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

revbob wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 9:01pm
Ok new week, who's up?
Bah I still need to post my reviews. Listened a few times, I’ll give a firm opinion tomorrow.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 9:59pm
revbob wrote:
Ok new week, who's up?
Bah I still need to post my reviews. Listened a few times, I’ll give a firm opinion tomorrow.
That's fine but it will be marked late.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
15 Oct 2020, 7:27am
matedog wrote:
revbob wrote:
Ok new week, who's up?
Tangentially related, one thing that consistently amuses me is when a student turns in a late assignment and says that they will accept any late penalties. Like it's an option. Um, yeah, you will take the penalty unless I choose to waive it; your role in this drama is complete.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Oct 2020, 8:17am
revbob wrote:
matedog wrote:
revbob wrote:
Ok new week, who's up?
Tangentially related, one thing that consistently amuses me is when a student turns in a late assignment and says that they will accept any late penalties. Like it's an option. Um, yeah, you will take the penalty unless I choose to waive it; your role in this drama is complete.
Yeah pretty dumb. Also you put in a certain level of work, A,B,C,D

So now you put in A level work and you're getting a B and down the line.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
15 Oct 2020, 10:25am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Oct 2020, 8:17am
revbob wrote:
matedog wrote:
revbob wrote:
Ok new week, who's up?
Yeah pretty dumb. Also you put in a certain level of work, A,B,C,D

So now you put in A level work and you're getting a B and down the line.
In my last year of high school, the English teacher had a neat grading system. At the beginning of the year, you decided what grade you wanted for the class, and what you picked determined how much work you had to do. The difference between an A and B might be an extra book report or something like that. It was pretty savvy because it took grading out of the idea of proving yourself to the big bad teacher to making it entirely your choice. You want an A? Cool—here's what you have to do.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
09 Oct 2020, 4:46pm
An old Seattle post-punk band (and one of the very few Seattle bands I actually like). Some influence from the Benelux bands here, and a bit of Virgin Prunes and Bauhaus flavor too. I wish Seattle had gone down this path instead of the endlessly boring ways that it did.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wY9t4240ro

Solex—Mere Imposters
Solex is a dutch woman who owned a record store and pilfered her own stock to sample on her records after closing for the day. Fantastically off-kilter and stitched-together, with very charming vocals.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qveR0s8aBhE

The Exit—Pressure Cooker
One of those rare times that the opening band grabs you and never lets go. These guys were a big surprise, and did lot of dub stuff in addition to heavier-rocking things. Their drummer is tastefully shit-hot, some Copeland influence in there for sure. I like the structure of this song and it's propulsive energy.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzztJXMbvwI

I've been looking for classic soca online since around '99–'00. Back then the internet didn't have a lot of info on anything other than classic calypso and the later 80s soca that is way more synthetic. Now that it's 2020, Trinidadians are putting their record collections all over YouTube and it's a revelation. This guy invented the genre, but the song is a memorial for his friend and another contemporary soca singer, Maestro, who died in a car accident, I think. I'm a big fan of the arrangement and layering, and the bass is a killer.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1d5uCZCZg8

I don't typically listen to this kind of stuff, but Paul Kelly hits a particular chord with me for some reason. This song in particular was a gutpunch the first time I heard it, and it never fails to make me stop and listen. There's something appealing about the lyrics focusing on one tiny moment in somebody's life, and especially from the viewpoint of a child that doesn't understand it.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JSBghah8gs
Production is top notch on this. The instrumentation sounds great. I assumed this was a modern band trying to sound 80s, not legit 80s. Sax is a good touch too. I wish I liked the vocals more though. They are mixed kinda low, but that might be for the better because I'm not really feeling the vocals. 6/10

Solex—Mere Imposters
I love the production on this. The drums, percussion, and bass sound great. I love how little backing vocals and keyboards kinda come and go. Very enjoyable. 7/10

The Exit—Pressure Cooker
Yeah, drums were very ear catching. Love the driving bass and the guitar work is great. Oh yeah, fake endings are great too. Again I wish I liked the vocals better. Apparently this is Bronfman's kid (the one that was married to MIA). I'm still giving this a 7/10. Would have been higher with stronger vocals.

I think I'd prefer this to not be so clean. I think Doc may have tainted mine with his 70s soundtrack comment. That said, the instrumentation is all great - particularly drums, bass, and percussion. I could do without the strings too. Hey he lets loose a bit at the end. That'll bump it up to a 7/10 for me.

A genre I've enjoyed periodically but never really dove into. I'm glad I looked up the lyrics, because that adds a lot. Tasteful instrumentation, performances. Nothing groundbreaking or surprising, but that's okay. 7/10.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

New week, new fives. Who's up?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 2:11pm
New week, new fives. Who's up?
No one knows because we never put a system in place. Has everyone who's playing had a turn? If so, back to the start?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board