A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

Post by matedog »

I believe this is the list/order of who has contributed:
BitterTom
gkbill
Flex
Marky Dread
Heston
Silent Majority
revbob
WestwayKid
matedog
Kory
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I haven't been able to contribute lately,. so I wouldn't feel right posting five Depeche Mode songs.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JennyB wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 3:10pm
I haven't been able to contribute lately,. so I wouldn't feel right posting five Depeche Mode songs.
It's ok everything counts. 😉

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Oliver has put a few reviews in, not sure if he wants to offer anything up?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

JennyB wrote:
I'm okay with that. Could use more DM exposure. I don't think we have any real rules here.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 4:07pm
JennyB wrote:
I'm okay with that. Could use more DM exposure. I don't think we have any real rules here.
As long as they're all pre-1985 I'm all for it. :shifty:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Heston wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 4:05pm
Oliver has put a few reviews in, not sure if he wants to offer anything up?
Yeah... it was harder than I thought. But here goes - in chronological order:

Swimmer - Ponces (1995)
Such a simple song but so catchy. At the time, it made me feel like I could do it too (narrators voice: he couldn't.) A couple of years later, Blur released their eponymous album to great aclaim and worldwide commercial success and it sounds just like this. Swimmer don't even have their own wikipedia article

Action Spectacular - I'm a Whore (1998)
If you can get through the first 15 seconds - and I don't blame you if you give up - you're in for a treat. It's lovely slice of 90s indie-rock elevated by the 90 second spoken word rant about the mundanity of working a 9-5 job at the end.

Miss Derringer - Click Click Bang Bang (2009)
A perfect pop song. Once it gets in my head, it takes forever to leave.

John Grant - TC and Honeybear (2010)
I tried to limit this to songs that are lesser known but I have no idea how popular John Grant is. I suspect he's more well known in the UK than the US. This song is too good to leave off though. I love how it takes you on a rollercoaster of emotions.

She Drew the Gun - Resistor (2018)
Probably the last new song that really stopped me and made me listen and want to tell people.

Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Heston

Post by Heston »

Swimmer - Ponces (1995)
I really like this. Reminds me of a more ramshackle Menswear. Can see the Blur thing. 7/10

Very Ray Davies so I automatically dig it. Not sure about the thrashy start and interlude, I think the song would have worked better without them. That'a minor quibble though. Yeah, love the ranting outro. 8/10

This one never really grabbed me. I feel like the production should have been dirtier, with the female vocal further back in the mix. Just seemed a bit too restrained. Decent enough tune though. 5/10

John Grant - TC and Honeybear (2010)
I'm not usually a big fan of acoustic type stuff but this is quite nice. It reminds me of the stuff Andy Burrows from Razorlight has been doing. I liked the backing vocals a lot, kind of reminded me of Star Trek. I can imagine this one growing on me even more, good stuff. 7.5/10

This type of disco indie is right up my street. It seemed to start out a bit ordinary but started snaking about rather nicely. 6.5/10

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Swimmer - Ponces
As Heston mentioned, Menswear, but totally Blur and more garage-y. That’s the side of Britpop that I can get behind. This isn’t exactly memorable, but I don’t think that’s a great crime. Some stuff just contributes to the canvas without being the centre of attraction.

Action Spectacular - I'm a Whore
I actually only dug the aggressive part. The slower-paced stuff is just kind of circles the airport endlessly. Maybe that’s supposed to reflect the pointlessness of most labour, but I was lookin’ at my watch.

Miss Derringer - Click Click Bang Bang
Saucy and coy. There’s also something cinematic about it. Or maybe the word I want is theatrical. But it belongs on a soundtrack.

John Grant - TC and Honeybear
I listened to this twice, but I never found my way in. Sorry, but I don’t really have anything of value to contribute here.

She Drew the Gun - Resistor
Yeah, this good shit. That somewhat dead vocal that nevertheless conveys urgency. That stuff gets me every time. The guitar has that perfect sound of electricity that makes rock so liberating.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 3:51pm
JennyB wrote:
Marky.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JennyB wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 9:17am
Marky Dread wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 3:51pm
JennyB wrote:
Marky.
:mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I'm a bit late with these (and I think I missed some others - sorry, anyone/everyone!) as I've got a lot of things on my plates now.

Action Spectacular - scattershot kind of response; too fractured to send a clear message (unless that's the message). 4/10

Swimmer - pretty decent tune; delivered with a fun style; these guys would likely come across more lively/energetic live. 8/10

Miss Derringer - good tune, good rhythm, catchy (the fashion's a miss for me). 8/10

John Grant - I don't relate to this style, the emotion doesn't come across; the backing opera-like vocals put me off - and what does the honeybear have to do with anything? 43/10

She Drew the Gun - pretty good, I wish the lead guitar run had the same edge as the rest of the song. 7/10

As I viewed these, I wondered how anyone ratings would change if there were no videos - just the songs.

I think I'll check out more Swimmer - new band for me. Thanks!
Last edited by gkbill on 20 Oct 2020, 11:49am, edited 1 time in total.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Swimmer - Ponces (1995)
Yeah I can hear that indie/Britpop thing Blur/Menswear/Elastica. Trouble was there were a ton like Swimmer coming out weekly back then. Still I dig it.7/10

Should've made two separate tracks. The main track has a 60s groove to it that I like. Needs a bit of a lift but overall enjoyable. 6/10

Irritatingly good stuff. Like her voice too. 7/10

John Grant - TC and Honeybee
Nothing I disliked but this one just didn't grab me. 4/10

Great slice of indie disco maybe needed a breakdown two thirds in to give the song a bit more impact. But really good. 8/10

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

gkbill wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 11:43am
Hello,

I'm a bit late with these (and I think I missed some others - sorry, anyone/everyone!) as I've got a lot of things on my plates now.

Action Spectacular - scattershot kind of response; too fractured to send a clear message (unless that's the message). 4/10

Swimmer - pretty decent tune; delivered with a fun style; these guys would likely come across more lively/energetic live. 8/10

Miss Derringer - good tune, good rhythm, catchy (the fashion's a miss for me). 8/10

John Grant - I don't relate to this style, the emotion doesn't come across; the backing opera-like vocals put me off - and what does the honeybear have to do with anything? 3/10

She Drew the Gun - pretty good, I wish the lead guitar run had the same edge as the rest of the song. 7/10

As I viewed these, I wondered how anyone ratings would change if there were no videos - just the songs.

Heston

Post by Heston »

gkbill wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 11:43am
Hello,

John Grant - I don't relate to this style, the emotion doesn't come across; the backing opera-like vocals put me off - and what does the honeybear have to do with anything? 43/10

I listen without watching the videos. I maybe come back to the video later if i like the song.