A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

Post by Flex »

Catching up on a few. Here's Maj's:

Coming On Strong - Brenda Lee.
I have a lot of tine for Brenda's voice, which I quite enjoy. Musically, this sounds like the Tennessee Two added a brass section, which works for me. 7/10

Punk Special - Underground Heroes.
Love the youthful vitality and brashness. Like the angular guitar work, a bit of that post-punk dub influence to go with the spiky vocals. Probably could have kept the tune to a tighter 2:30 or something, is my only issue. 7.5/10

Baghdad - Flo Perlin.
Very lovely and delicate. A song that benefits from paying attention to the lyrics. Yes, this will do quite nicely. 7.5/10

Here's The Thing - Sports Team.
This is GREAT. Funny, catchy, and energetic. The music video is a treat too. 8.5/10

Hate It When You Leave - Keith Richards.
Not as bad as I thought it would be? I wouldn't mind sticking this on a mixtape with Maria Muldaur or something. Goes on way too fucking long. 5/10
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I'm sorry to be so late but this will catch me up to matedog:

Santagold - good somewhat off-kilter rhythm and pop girl vocals; pretty good!;

Sincere Engineer - good pop punk; not really memorable but enjoyable in the moment; I will probably like more of their stuff;

Twin Shadow - okay; it got better when the guitar kicked in; it seemed to try too hard to change with a bridge; I liked the chorus better than in between;

Cody ChesnuTT - really good catchy stuff; I like him ever since I heard him with the Roots way back when; his personality comes through - that's important to me as so many contemporary acts seem to lack personality;

Latin Playboys - too lazy for me; NFM - Not For Me - here you go, kids - my contribution to hip acronyms!

Thanks for this! I like several of these and most are new to me!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Okay, we're onto revbob. His picks are basically like what mine would be if I had purity of vision.

Slime - Stortebeker
Oh fuck yes. No chance I'd have heard these guys before, but this is just great aggressive punk rock. Catchy, nice drum work, good snarl. 8/10

Paranoid Visions - An Bhfuil Tu Sasta
Ah yes, one of my favorite Christmas bands. I'd listen to this kinda punk any day, any time. 8/10

Anhrefn - Crafwr
All Welsh bands remind me of this:

They really do sound a bit like The Clash. Very Class of 77 kinda stuff. Solid. 7.5/10

Oi Polloi - Ar Ceòl's Ar Cànan
I've been a big Oi Polloi fan for a long time. Very interesting (and good) aesthetic and political influences. This song is a great example of how good they are. 10/10

Les Partisan - Radio Rebelle
Another band I've been keen on for a while. Haven't heard this one in a a while, takes me back. This music is right in what we call "The Flex Zone." Good times. 10/10

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Sampling WestwayKid's now:

Hot Snakes – Six Wave Hold Down
I'd have been any amount of money I had some Hot Snakes in my music library, but it appears now. But this feels like music that should be in my library, which is great. The wall of sound stuff suits this material, which is good, tough garage rock type material which a little more punch and heft. The guitar work is a bit hypnotic. 8/10

TORRES – Don’t Go Puttin’ Wishes in My Head
This sounds like the kind of tune I'd pop on when skiing, which, I mean, I mean that as a compliment. I like the way the chorus kicks up just enough. The disaffected sort of vocals usually work for me, especially with female singers, and so it is here as well. Kind of goofy music video too, which I appreciate. 7/10

Parquet Courts – Waking at a Downtown Pace
I won't demerit the track for not caring for the music at all (I assume the discomfort I felt watching the jerky camera was intentional, but slow your roll, you ain't a found footage horror film). Because the song itself is quite groovy. Really nice beat with some easy going vocals wedded to that nice big chorus (I'm a fan of terrace chant choruses, whatever). Stomp your feet and dance! 7/10

Mdou Moctar – Afrique Victime
I definitely appreciate some international musical exploration. The great guitar work is really the centerpiece to the song, as well as the general atmospherics. I, uh, appreciated that the music video translated the lyrics. Very 70s retro cool vibe all around. Was about to give this a 7.5 but that guitar jamming at the end earned it a full 8/10

Film School – Superperfection
Very dreamy. Out of all your picks, this is the least like what I normally listen to, but it would fit in pretty nicely when I'm in the mood. The lyrics alternating between a lush sound and something slightly more sinister (along with the synth) gives this a bit more undertow than I'd initially have thought. 7/10

Really solid contributions WWK. A nice selection of stuff that all feels very musically adjacent but that I wasn't familiar with. I would/will explore any of these bands more.

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

And onto Matey's picks.

Santigold – Who I Thought You Were
You may have been the one to hep me to Santigold years and years ago, I don't totally remember now. Anyways, it's great to hear some of this newer stuff, she sounds as good as ever. This is the kind of pop that really, really works for me. 8/10

Sincere Engineer – Hurricane of Misery
Per your description, I think I wouldn't mind if they cut out the emo influences but all in all this is great punk(-pop) which is faster and louder than I'd have anticipated. Just really solid stuff. 3 minutes is perfect, too. 8.5/10

Twin Shadow – Get Closer
He wears a bucket hat like the New Radicals guy! That's worth points. I like the music more than the vocals, I think. Maybe a little too sparse in the verses but I really like the guitar and some of the affects in the chorus. Anyways, let's say 7/10

Cody Chesnutt – Look Good in Leather
I think I always thought Cody was Mark Chesnutt, the shitty country singer so I always gave him a miss. This is great throwbacky r&b, this is delightful. Fun music video too. 9/10

Latin Playboys – Forever Nightshade Mary
Interesting stuff, I like Los Lobos but not a superfan and never heard of this. To your Tom Waits comparison, it feels kinda like Nighthawks era Tom via Roger Miller or something, which I obviously love. Gonna have to let this whole album get into my brain a bit, I think. Bit I'm hella intrigued by what I'm hearing. Could be an ultimate late night album. 8.5/10

Nice selections Hoy. Having one's aesthetic development happen during The Blessed Decade comes through again. :cool:

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
01 Oct 2021, 4:17pm
And onto Matey's picks.

Latin Playboys – Forever Nightshade Mary
Interesting stuff, I like Los Lobos but not a superfan and never heard of this. To your Tom Waits comparison, it feels kinda like Nighthawks era Tom via Roger Miller or something, which I obviously love. Gonna have to let this whole album get into my brain a bit, I think. Bit I'm hella intrigued by what I'm hearing. Could be an ultimate late night album. 8.5/10

Nice selections Hoy. Having one's aesthetic development happen during The Blessed Decade comes through again. :cool:
I actually picked a 90s track too (Latin Playboys)! Yeah, the bass line is straight "King of the Road." The rest of the album sounds completely different. The other track I was going to pick was "Manifold de Amour" which is an even cooler song, but less traditional (it's one minute upright bass and creepy violins, then one minute of creepy spanish language refrain with trash can percussion).
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
27 Sep 2021, 10:50am
Santigold – Who I Thought You Were
This is excellent. I love how it starts off almost sinister sounding then she comes in with that cool vocal. I can't fault this. 10/10

Sincere Engineer – Hurricane of Misery
This one starts off like it's just another annoying track from a mobile phone advert. Then it picks up with a bit of modern punk/emo guitar. Not really sold on this one. 6/10

Twin Shadow – Get Closer
Not bad and something that feels like it would good to hear on the radio. Kinda soul and semi funky. 7/10

Cody Chesnutt – Look Good in Leather
Not really sure about the subject of the song but this one is real fun. Has a great vibe to it and I dig the feel good factor. Cool track. 8/10

Latin Playboys – Forever Night Shade Mary
Loose and laid back groove to this. Not really my bag but it's ok. Cool title though. 6/10

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Who's turn now?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
11 Oct 2021, 7:40pm
Hello,

Who's turn now?
Kory, which means five Pearl Jam bootleg deep cuts. Again.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Oct 2021, 7:42pm
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Who's turn now?
As long as it's not the same 5 PJ tracks as last time. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Oct 2021, 6:02am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Who's turn now?
I can never tell the difference.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Oct 2021, 6:42am
Marky Dread wrote:
12 Oct 2021, 6:02am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Who's turn now?
I can never tell the difference.
:lol:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Who's turn now?
I gotta pass this round guys, sorry.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
14 Oct 2021, 6:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Who's turn now?
I gotta pass this round guys, sorry.
Kory spoke in class today. :shifty:

Oliver has the next right of refusal.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Oct 2021, 7:19pm
Oliver has the next right of refusal.
OK - here we go... although this will probably be the last set I post but I'll still drop in to review.

As it's the last, I'll start with my Dad's favourite song. He used to say his favourite song was "Waterloo Sunset' but it was this. I first discovered music by going through his vinyl collection and picking out the best sleeves so everything I listen to is probably influenced by those days in some way.

Lonnie Donegan - Cumberland Gap

Girl in a Coma - Say

Nadine Shah - Club Cougar

T Hardy Morris - Likes of Me

Sabina - Cinema
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps