A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

Post by WestwayKid »

Duran Duran – Invisible
You need to do your best to hear this as track not by a band named Duran Duran who have been around for 40 years. I say this because when I heard it on the radio last week, I was struck by how fresh it sounded, but Le Bon’s voice (which has aged well) kept reminding me of the past. This song belongs in 2021, however. It sounds modern, dominated by a huge, clubby drum sound and punctuated by some rocky/spiky guitar from an Andy Taylor channeling Graham Coxon.

Tirzah – Send Me
I heard this one on the local indie music station the other day and I loved it. The vocal is somewhat hushed R&B, but the musical backing is spartan drums and a hypnotic, looping guitar line. The word hypnotic should be underscored because this song is hypnotic: it pulls you in and forces you to pay attention and then at the very end it gets noisy, which was jarring because it was so unexpected, but it worked for me.

Jade Bird – Open up the Heavens
This song has an infectious feel to it, almost a garage 80’s indie vibe. She’s got a strong voice and she knows how to use it. I like how it pops back and forth between soaring, anthemic chorus and a tougher sound on the verses. Lots of different guitar sounds, from jangle pop to melodic noise.

Genesis Owusu – Gold Chains
This guy is brilliant. This track is a mash up of funk, rock, and hip hop. I love the twitchy, Prince-esque guitar. The song slinks and grooves, but there is a definite “bummer” undercurrent to it that matches the lyrics about contemplating the price of fame.

Cloud Nothings – The Spirit Of
I love these guys. This album came out earlier this year, but it could be from 1986. It’s cool how this track seems to fall apart. It’s catchy power pop at the beginning, but starts to get noisy and messy and unhinged. The drums get thrashier, the riffs more brutal, the vocal gets rougher. This track was produced by Steve Albini, by the way, and his touch is all over it (in a good way).

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Duran Duran, “Invisible”
You’re right that it sounds contemporary, but that’s not much of a selling point for me, I’m afraid. It seems a cut-and-paste job of mainstream radio fodder. Make us sound young, they told the producer …

Tirzah, “Send Me”
What’s interesting is the soothing voice is countered by a drum pattern that, to me anyway, is a bit jarring. So it never gets comfortable. There’s a monotony there, but I don’t regard that as a negative. A number of my favourite bands traffic in monotony as a way of structuring things, an endurance test of sorts. Don’t quite get the inclusion of the noise guitar at the end, but I did like it.

Jade Bird, “Open up the Heavens”
As a pop song, this is decent. Sounds like it could have come from 4AD in the 90s, which ain’t a bad thing at all.

Genesis Owusu, “Gold Chains”
Yeah, this is solid stuff. Deliberate, persistent, with a mixture of ease and nervousness. It’s captivating as hell, from start to finish.

Cloud Nothings, “The Spirit Of”
First half is basic fun power pop, tho nothing especially distinct. But I dig the second half when shit spins out of control, more like early Pixies. Actually, that second half reminds me of early Idlewild, when they were more given to noise than being Scottish REM.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

revbob wrote:
10 May 2021, 12:06am
Trying to ignore my gut "everything here eschews the last sixty years" reaction:

Sharon Jones - 100 Days, 100 Nights
There's nothing to complain about with this one. Production and performances are top notch. The switch to 6/8 is great too. I've heard a bit of their stuff and it's all great.

Black Joe Lewis
Livin in the Jungle
Again, great performance, great horns, great vocals. Classic soul sound.

Kat Wright - By My Side
Def get Amy Winehouse vibes on this without quite as much edge. As with everything else thus far, the sound is natural, spacious yet dense. Very nice voice as well. I let the spotify playlist continue on her and there's some good stuff in her catalog.

The Inciters - Me Myself and I
Cool vibe to this one. The lead vocal is great. Starts real low, but he really rips by the end. Love the high backing vocals too. Probably my favorite of the bunch because it's got a bit more spunk.

Ruby Velle and the Soulphonics - The Man Says
Another hard one to criticize. Organic sound ages so well. That fade out is so good as the vocal gets super reverbed and overdubbed. It's a nice touch of moderate chaos and a rare curveball for the genre.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Duran
I like Duran a lot but the only albums I have are a greatest hits and the covers one (which I kind of like, including White Lines)
They're one of those groups that I'm at the point where I simply hope that I don't dislike it. And this is good enough for me. It doesn't excite enough to seek out the album but I'm happy to hear it again.

Tirzah
Sounds kind of stunted but I like it. Not sure I could explain the music if someone asked though. I like the totally unnecessary and unsettling ending.

Jade Bird
Another one that falls in my like-but-don't-love bucket, I do love the way the chorus takes off though. Almost sounds like it was two songs combined into one.

Genesis Owusu
At first I thought you'd oversold it a little but when that verse kicked in I got what the fuss was about. The mashing of styles works really well and doesn't feel gimmicky (which is my usual problem with mashups of style)

Cloud Nothings
Enjoyable and elevated by the chaotic second half. Little bit forgettable if I'm honest as I'm struggling to remember any of the melody after listening to the 5 songs twice.

I'm kind of drawn to the middle three and if I had to pick one favourite it would be Tirzah.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Duran Duran – Invisible
I disagree that this song belongs in 2021, though I think it's pretty good. Cool rhythm, though the chorus gets a little grand for me and I don't like that chiming key sound. Luckily the chorus doesn't stick around too long. The whole track sounds a little bereft of low end—mixing for radio and earbuds, I guess. 6/10

Tirzah – Send Me
Tirzah has worked with Tricky a few times, so I'm very familiar with her voice. I don't know who the producer is on this track but it would appeal to trip hop heads like me (and does). Very nice separation in the mix, clean and crisp while not being bright. I'm fascinated by people that can build a whole song out of one section. The ending is a great touch. Big fan of this. 10/10

Cool guitar sounds, good voice (with a good reverb on it). I wish the track had a bit more dynamic range though—the chorus gets a bit hobbled by not being any louder than the verses. The tambourine is a bit distracting, might have been nicer to have that panned a little more toward center. 8/10

The guitar is indeed cool. The hi-hat sample is maybe just a little too loud. Otherwise a very cool, chill song. Nice backing vocals in the chorus, and I like his sort of melodic speaking delivery in the verses. I'll have to remember to steal that. 8/10

I don't like Albini much as a rule, and here's a good example of why. It drives me nuts how weak the drums are in the mix. They might as well not even be there. We get it, guitars are cool. The song itself deserved better, I'd like to hear these guys with a different person at the desk. Song: 8/10, Mix: 2/10
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Duran Duran – Invisible
I don't dislike this but it feels like it's trying way too hard to be modern and come across as hit and miss. 6/10

Tirzah – Send Me
Just not my thing. Just goes round and round with not much happening. I kept waiting for it to catch fire but nope 5/10

Nice guitar on this track and he voice is cool. 8/10

I liked the guitar but it's too laid back for me. 5/10

I agree with Kory that the mix sucks. The drums sound piss poor. The track though is good and fun. I like how it builds up rougher each time. 7/10

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

WestwayKid wrote:
26 May 2021, 11:36am
I can always rely on WWK to post some stuff that I'm already into.

Duran Duran – Invisible - Your comments about how modern it sounds are interesting. It sounds like a modern take on 80s sound, which I think is a good choice for the band. It acknowledges their history while still trying to do a modern take. That being said, this one is not for me. The vocal delivery and melodies aren't enough to warrant repeated listens. The production/instrumentation are clever though, I don't hate it.

Tirzah – Send Me
I got into her Devotion album a couple years ago, so this isn't entirely unfamiliar to me. I dig her style and your description is spot on. I do wish it did a bit more, but that noise at the end is so awesome. 7/10.

Very cool verse riff that opens up nicely to the chorus, though I'm not crazy about the chorus melody. A better chorus would make this amazing for me, but I do like it all in all. 6.5/10.

I love the skittish drums and slinky groove. The noise synth/guitar part on the chorus is cool too. It's a cool combo of organic and synthetic sounds. I like it. The chorus isn't huge for me, but all in all I dig it. 7/10.

I love "Stay Useless" and "I'm Not a Part of Me" so it was good to dabble into the new stuff. Doesn't quite have the same level hooks as though, but it's still really good with some cool guitar work throughout and the same non metronomic drumming that really pushes and pulls the song along. Is that piano I hear? Love the screaming bridge/verse thing that just dissolves into chaos at the end. 7.5/10.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I still gotta take on WWK'S list. It would be an easier start if DD wasn't first.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 5:47pm
I still gotta take on WWK'S list. It would be an easier start if DD wasn't first.
Embrace the hate.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 6:05pm
revbob wrote:
Embrace the hate.
That's a coping mechanism I adopted a long time ago.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
Yeah, I hated on that song in another thread. I will get on these this week.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 6:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 6:05pm
revbob wrote:
Embrace the hate.
That's a coping mechanism I adopted a long time ago.
Do them in reverse order. Build up your hate then let it all out.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

revbob wrote:
It's like jumping into a cold pool. You just have to take the plunge.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 11:26am
revbob wrote:
Shark infested waters for rev.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 11:26am
revbob wrote:
I dont go into cold water much anymore.