A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Re: A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

Post by Olaf »

Sigrid - Can't get into her voice at all. Find it painful to listen to. No score.

The Amazons - My first thought was Del Amitri on speed, but yeah, they make a nice racket. 7/10

Embrace - I like the slow built-up. Also has a bit of a country feel. 7.5/10

Starsailor - That song has really grown on me after the second listen. They remind me of Suede, with a bit of Godfathers thrown in for the chorus. 8.5/10

Metallica - Not big on Metallica, but I quite dig this one. I'm hearing echoes of Judas Priest ca. Screaming for Vengeance era. 8/10, which is probably the max a Metallica song will get from me.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Who's up next? Was it GK?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 4:11pm
BitterTom
gkbill
Flex
Marky Dread
Heston
Silent Majority
revbob
WestwayKid
matedog
Kory
oliver
JennyB
Olaf
Medulla
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Heston wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 4:11pm
Hello,

Here you go:

Head Hive - Liar, Liar: These guys used to be called The Killer B's but changed their name for some reason. They're some remnants of the Screaming Blue Messiahs in this band, I think. It's pretty good, intense bluesy rock

Chisel - Hips Straight: Ted Leo's band before he just went with Ted Leo. They have 2 pretty good albums - if you like Ted Leo.

The Resignators - Off Beat Feeling: Okay, they sound like the Mighty Mighty Bosstones - so what? This is a fun song (I may have posted this track elsewhere here - if so, I apologize)

The Gentleman's Dub Club - Gentlemen's Sleng: Slangy off-beat reggae - heavy on the downbeat (is that correct, more musically educated people?)

The Three Johns - 3 Junk: These guys are an acquired taste - kind of off beat punky, arty stuff. I think I first heard of them via the Mekons. I may also have posted some of there stuff elsewhere - sorry if so!

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Id review now but im off tomorrow and pissed

Heston

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 5:17pm
I write all my reviews drunk.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 6:04pm
BitterTom wrote:
That explains your less-than-stellar evaluations of my suggestions. :angry:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 6:06pm
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Of everyone's choices, yours were impossible to contemplate sober. We have history with challenges, remember?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 6:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 6:06pm
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Of everyone's choices, yours were impossible to contemplate sober. We have history with challenges, remember?
A demand a sober re-hearing! The integrity of the game is at stake!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Hello,

Moderation in all things - especially moderation.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Head Hive - Liar, Liar: This isn't bad at all. Bluesy rock ain't usually my thing but the attitude and tune won me over. Nice Dr Feelgood-style outro. 7.5/10

Chisel - Hips Straight: Love the ramshackle feel of this and the insanely high vocal. Excellent and my favourite of the bunch. 8/10

The Resignators - Offbeat Feeling: First of all, thanks for posting "Party Dates" by these a few weeks back, one of my favourite songs of recent times. This isn't as good but it's ok. Great horn section but not a convincing drum performance for me. 6/10

The Gentleman's Dub Club - Gentlemen's Sleng: I really liked this musically but not a big fan of the vocal melody/rap. 6/10

The Three Johns - 3 Junk: Not really my cup of tea but not terrible. Sounds a bit like PIL in places but the lack of structure and melody made me tune out by the end. 5/10

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Head Hive - Liar, Liar:
From The Small Brothers/Motor Boys Motor/ The Screaming Blue Messiahs/Dynamo Hum/The Killer Bs... this is what these guys do well. Always hugely influenced by Captain Beefheart. Good stuff. 8/10

Chisel - Hips Straight: I have only just got into Ted Leo thanks to revbob's post in this very thread. I have to say I much prefer Ted's later stuff. But this is not bad either. 6/10

The Resignators - Off Beat Feeling
Pretty generic nth wave ska. But no less fun for that. 7/10

The Gentleman's Dub Club - Gentlemen's Sleng
I love dub and I have lots of it. This one tries a little too hard for me and falls wide of the mark. Nothing bad just doesn't hit me in an authentic way. 5/10

The Three Johns - 3 Junk
I always love the music but then struggle with the vocal with theses boys. 6/10

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Head Hive - Liar, Liar.
I love how it just feels like you’re bouncing while it plays. It’s almost like a rockin’ Peanuts song in that I can see the kids dancing to it. Not terribly keen on the harmonica, tho—I’ve never liked harmonica the way it’s used in blues rock, always seeming so busy for no good reason.

Chisel - Hips Straight.
Unusual vocal, but it works well with the energy. The whole thing seems ready to fall apart, just flying off the walls, but it keeps things together quite satisfyingly.

The Resignators - Off Beat Feeling.
I’m pretty sure I said this in someone else’s posted songs, but generally ska punk is something I can’t ever assess or evaluate. It often sounds the same to me and while it’s fun energy and all that, it’s all part of a larger ska punky song to me. It’s enjoyable but it’s a bit of a blur for me.

The Gentleman's Dub Club - Gentlemen's Sleng.
Something to just close your eyes and sit back and soak up. My second favourite of the five.

The Three Johns - 3 Junk.
This is my favourite of what you offered up. Maybe the singer is a bit too purposeful in seeming nervous or distressed, Love that earnest guitar, just screechy its way to the fore. Excellent stuff.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Head Hive - 6.5/10
Not gonna lie - 'bluesy rock' kind of put me off but I didn't mind it. Can't say it makes me want to listen to more but I wasn't impatiently waiting for the end.

Chisel - 8/10
Woah... I've tried to like to Ted Leo but there was also something missing until this one. I like this more than anything else I've ever heard him do - maybe because it sounds like he's being strangled. I kid, I kid... I kind of like that the vocals go to a place I wasn't expecting.

Resignators - 6/10
I can only this type of music in small doses. One song is fine but I don't think I could get through much more. I think I'd prefer this without the horns and as a punky pop song.

The Gentleman's Dub Club 8/10
I feel a little guilty listening to this on my tinny PC speakers, so in spirit I'm listening through some Kef LS50s. I'm only an occasional fan of this genre and find some of the really heavy stuff a little intimidating. Enjoyed this one a lot. Maybe it'll be a gateway drug

The Three Johns 7.5/10
I only know of TTJ by reputation. Unless I'm losing it completely, they were popular when I was just getting into my full-on Smiths fanboy phase (which I'm still waiting to leave) so it's nice to actually hear them. I can definitely see myself listening to some more
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

This thread has cooled down - I think I've killed it. This thread was very good for me as I am always looking for new music. Much of the "What are you listening to now" thread is nostalgia. No problem - I listen to lots of old stuff all the time - but there's just got to be new music, ya know (I'm paraphrasing somebody here). This thread introduces me to new stuff for which I'm grateful.