A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 10:03pm
I Do Declare
eumaas when he originally joined.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 4:30am
Wolter wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 9:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 8:15pm
Wolter wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 8:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 7:47pm

Bless your heart.

(There is something weirdly and sympathetically Canadian about proper Southern culture's reluctance to be straightforward. We're just averse to human contact; you're wary of being forced into an honour duel.)
Even weirder, a really old Charleston accent even has similar vowels to a stereotypical Canadian. My uncle Lewis used to even say something similar to the clichéd “aboot.”
Charleston was founded by Scottish immigrants, no? That could be our cultural connection. And why we're reluctant to loan anyone money ever.
From what I’ve heard the Old Charleston accent (which is all but gone these days) comes from a weird mix of English aristocracy, Scotch-Irish workers (which essentially means Scottish), French Huguenot refugees, West-African slaves, and a surprisingly large Sephardic Jewish contingent.
While I doubt I could pick up the subtlety, I imagine you can very easily discern the difference between that and an accent from Virginia or Mississippi?
Weirdly I can’t. Best I can do is discern whether or not it’s Lowcountry South Carolina. But people with a better ear can.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 6:55am
revbob wrote:
I Do Declare
Also eumaas last week.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Wolter wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 11:41am
Silent Majority wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 8:07pm

Even weirder, a really old Charleston accent even has similar vowels to a stereotypical Canadian. My uncle Lewis used to even say something similar to the clichéd “aboot.”
Charleston was founded by Scottish immigrants, no? That could be our cultural connection. And why we're reluctant to loan anyone money ever.
From what I’ve heard the Old Charleston accent (which is all but gone these days) comes from a weird mix of English aristocracy, Scotch-Irish workers (which essentially means Scottish), French Huguenot refugees, West-African slaves, and a surprisingly large Sephardic Jewish contingent.
While I doubt I could pick up the subtlety, I imagine you can very easily discern the difference between that and an accent from Virginia or Mississippi?
Weirdly I can’t. Best I can do is discern whether or not it’s Lowcountry South Carolina. But people with a better ear can.
I can tell a Georgian, Louisianan or Texan accent, but the rest of the American South blends as one for me.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 11:47am
Wolter wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 11:41am
Silent Majority wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I can tell a Georgian, Louisianan or Texan accent, but the rest of the American South blends as one for me.
Central Georgia and upstate SC blend for my ears. I’m sure there are differences, but I’m not sure what they are.

Coastal Georgia is pretty close to coastal Carolina.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 6:55am
revbob wrote:
I Do Declare
I nearly spit pepsi.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

So what's the challenge again? Post 5 obscure songs and see what people think? I think I might play.

(Sorry to interrupt the thread drift)
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

I'd like to join too. This could be fun to expose myself to new tunes.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Olaf wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 12:04pm
So what's the challenge again? Post 5 obscure songs and see what people think? I think I might play.

I dont know how obscure they need to be. Obscure for one person could be Tuesday for another.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 12:28pm
Agreed, that will be the whole point for me. The recent album polls have exposed me to some good stuff.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 12:40pm
Olaf wrote:

I dont know how obscure they need to be. Obscure for one person could be Tuesday for another.
Yeah, just post anything you like I would have thought. But slightly obscure might be better than posting something like Pretty Vacant or More Than a Feeling.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 12:44pm
matedog wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 12:28pm
Agreed, that will be the whole point for me. The recent album polls have exposed me to some good stuff.
Yeah, likewise regarding the polls.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Heston wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 12:47pm
revbob wrote:
Olaf wrote:

Yeah, just post anything you like I would have thought. But slightly obscure might be better than posting something like Pretty Vacant or More Than a Feeling.
Right. Like anything German that isn't Kraftwerk or Nena.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Olaf wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 12:53pm
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Olaf wrote:

Neu! you were going to say that.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Olaf wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 12:53pm
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Olaf wrote:

Like Slime and Abwarts.