A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
15 Sep 2020, 6:04pm
revbob wrote:
15 Sep 2020, 3:14pm
My 5 are ready to go for next Monday, no piddling about this time.
Good stuff. I hope a few more reviews come in for Maj's choices because I think this is a great exercise and I don't want it to fizzle out.
I'll get my review in tomorrow. Only did one or two listen of each, so I need to give them a few more go's.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

So is there a set group of people reviewing or is it like a drop in thing?

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

WBC 7.5/10
As a youth I was an avid tape maker and list compiler so this resonates somewhat. I like it, but cut off half a point because the influences are a little too much like a sledgehammer to the head. It makes my mind immediately go to "they offered me the office..."
I'll err on the side of generosity though and call it a tribute. Like I said though, I like it.

TS 6/10
I've probably lived in in an Atlanta suburb for too long now because this is the sort of thing I hear blasting from a pick-up truck with absurdly wide tyres as it drives past me on my scooter (for the record, we're talking a proper, 300CC scooter, not one of those glorified kids toys)
TBH, I do sense a little more authenticity here but I could take it or leave it. It's not like if I heard it on the radio it would be an immediate 'hit the scan button' like Toby Keith so that is a positive.

LMD 8.5/10
Dunno what it is, but I like this a lot. It's so simple yet addictive. Full disclosure - one of my guilty pleasures is listening to Daphne and Celeste's "Ooh Stick You" and I get a kind of reddy-brek glow whenever it comes on. I'm getting close to that with this.

JB 7/10
Another good one but I must admit I got confused as to whether it was two versions of the same song or one with a weird break in the middle. Reminds me of Here I Come by Barrington Levy (I realize this predates it by 10 years)
I get kind of nostalgic for this type of music because I used to work next to a record shop that played it at high volume all day every day so I know a ton of songs but have no idea what they're called or who they're by. I really should try to get more into it. I need Don Letts to come out with another compilation I think

MG 5/10
The only one that doesn't really work for me. Neither the lyrics nor the music demanded I pay more attention. During it, I was thinking back to "Jim on the Move." I didn't actively dislike it, it was just there.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

On holiday this week but will get reviews in before Monday cheers Maj.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BitterTom wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 3:41am
On holiday this week but will get reviews in before Monday cheers Maj.

Enjoy the time off.

matedog

Post by matedog »

He's Making a Tape - WIld Billy Childish and the MBEs. - Catchy ass, spirited garage rock. What's not to like? 7/10.

Looking for a Job - Todd Snider. Good southern rock/country groove. Solid hook. Like it, don't love it. 6/10

Jim on the Move - Lizzy Mercier Descloux. Interesting arrangement with repetitive guitar/bass riff and another guitar noodling off key. Nice groove again and interesting vocal approach by taking one lyric and playing with it for the duration. Her voice kinda has a Patti Smith feel to it. Any longer and I'd probably dislike it. 5/10

Fade Away - Junior Byles. I really enjoy the music. The vocals are a bit weak and he goes off key a bunch which isn't the worst thing, but not what I'm used to with the genre. The dub mix is a welcome addition. 6/10.

Colour In Your Cheeks - The Mountain Goats. I know people that are big MGs fans, I should probably check them out. As others noted, I'd probably prefer a full band version as I've never been much of a lyrics guy. It's not bad, but it doesn't move me much. 5/10.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

revbob wrote:
15 Sep 2020, 8:16pm
Just a drop in as far as I know.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

He’s Making a Tape: simply, bratty, rock and roll. This would probably have appealed more to a younger WWK, but I still enjoyed listening to it. It’s fun, but also not a song that I think will stick with me. It’s a song to be enjoyed in the moment and then put aside, which isn’t a bad thing. 7/10.

Looking for A Job: I like this song. It’s almost got an early Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers vibe to it. Gloriously lo-fi, loose and relaxed. Good, crunchy guitars. I like it. 8/10.

Jim on the Move: not really my cup of tea, a bit formless to my ears, maybe a bit too jazzy. I don’t hate it, but I also don’t like it. I’m not a fan of the vocal and the backing music sounds generic. The song just doesn’t go anywhere for me. 3/10.

Fade Away: this is more like it! It’s not anything groundbreaking, but there is something powerful about his delivery. I agree that hearing both it together with the dub version is the way to go. Solid, but not amazing. 6/10.

Colour in Your Cheeks: yeah, not a big fan of this one. Too wordy, too precious. He comes across as a less interesting version of Conor Oberst and his voice is kind of shrill. 4/10.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
Just a drop in, I think, but my guess is that if you don't participate in the reviewing, you won't earn a chance to present your own 5.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 12:37pm
revbob wrote:
Just a drop in, I think, but my guess is that if you don't participate in the reviewing, you won't earn a chance to present your own 5.
Fascist regime.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
revbob wrote:
Im all about the reviewing.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 1:32pm
Kory wrote:
revbob wrote:
I'm far more interested in that then presenting anything. I'm happy not to do the latter at all.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 2:18pm
revbob wrote:
Kory wrote:
revbob wrote:
I'm far more interested in that then presenting anything. I'm happy not to do the latter at all.
If you wanna go to the nude beach you have to at least take off your shirt.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 2:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Kory wrote:
revbob wrote:
Fine, I'm just going across the lake with my telescope.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 2:23pm
revbob wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 2:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Kory wrote:

Fine, I'm just going across the lake with my telescope.
You can take care of your urges in private that way.