A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

Post by Heston »

KORY

Crumb
The Internet
Glasser
I'll put all these in the same bracket in that they do what they do well but it just isn't to my taste. I generally like structured songs with defined verse/chorus/middle 8. These just kind of meander with some nices sounds, but ultimately don't do it for me. 5/10

Pylon
My favourite of the bunch, decent groove. 6/10

Sorry
Couldn't get my head around it really and not a fan of really heavily treated vocals. 5/10
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 3:50pm
KORY

Crumb
The Internet
Glasser
I'll put all these in the same bracket in that they do what they do well but it just isn't to my taste. I generally like structured songs with defined verse/chorus/middle 8. These just kind of meander with some nices sounds, but ultimately don't do it for me. 5/10

Pylon
My favourite of the bunch, decent groove. 6/10

Sorry
Couldn't get my head around it really and not a fan of really heavily treated vocals. 5/10
You're gonna hate my next project.

If I ever finish it.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Smiley Culture - great stuff - very fun - I have a bunch of singles - many would be offensive today - Cockney Translation was my favorite - 9/10

Amiri - reminded me a bit of Saul Williams but lower key - good voice, good backing vocals - 7.5/10

Folk Implosion - good but somehow seemed too loose (?) - I liked the guitar - 8.5/10

Blaze Foley - not my type of stuff - to his credit, he doesn't glitz it up

Tony Butler - good rock stuff - I can hear a Big Country sound - vocals are not his strong suit, his voice could use more energy - 8.8/10

Thanks for an eclectic list -stuff I haven't heard before!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 3:13pm
Crumb—Locket: - There's an interesting mid-late 90s vibe to this, but with more modern flourishes and a more adventurous structure/melody. Very cool and the band clearly spent some time on the arrangement and performance as it is constantly changing. I'd like it to be a bit more energetic, but that's not really the point. 7/10.

The Internet—Get Away: Fuck that bass and modulation hit hard. I like the vocals. Kinda reminds me of FKA Twigs a little. Not something I'd actively seek out, but I like it. 7/10.

Glasser—Mirrorage: Good spirited performance, but the melodies aren't moving me. Probably my least favorite of the bunch, but not bad. 5/10.

Pylon—Dub: Definitely the outlier in the group. My thought was "this sounds like 1979" and was exactly right. Cool drums and off kilter groove. Great vocals too. 8/10.

Sorry—Things to Hold Onto: I like the drum programming and some of the synth/guitar lines. The dissonance is more palatable than I usually think. Not exactly my thing, but there are some nice little hooks hear and there that catch my ear. 6/10.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Olaf wrote:
Du bist als Nächster dran, Waschbär-Hirte.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 12:14pm
Olaf wrote:
Fein.

Jennifer Rostock - Feuer

SEEED - Komm in mein Haus

Wir Sind Helden - Rüssel an Schwanz

Erobique - Wann strahlst du?

Faber - Das Boot ist voll
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Olaf wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 3:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 12:14pm
Olaf wrote:
Fein.

Jennifer Rostock - Feuer
Great driving rhythm in this with just the right amount of angst. 8/10

Very obvious reggae in this house. Nice enough groove to this but I prefer a bit more of a heavy dub. 6/10

Such a great voice on this. Love her voice makes me wish I knew more than the paltry amount of German I've learned. 9/10

This was interesting but didn't seem to really take off as much as I would've liked. 6/10

Very odd track don't know what to make of it. Was waiting for a Submarine. And I didn't like it when the young kid stamped on the poor fish. 4/10

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Jennifer Rostock - Feuer
Wouldn’t sound out of place in 1979, the kind of punk that was renamed new wave by the industry so it’d get played on the radio. A whole lotta fun. I give it 87/99 luftballoons.

Nice and laid back. Not much of a melody at work, but it has such an appealing relaxing vibe. 71/99 luftballoons.

I *love* all the changes going on. Scronking sax, easy-going groovy verses, some aggressive guitar coming in a mowing it all down. Having all those disparate pieces and changes could make for a mess, but it’s all quite delightful. 97/99 luftballoons.

Another laid back piece, a conversation about, I’m going to guess, strudel and beer and getting one’s scrap metal to the curb in good time. 64.3 luftballoons.

The voice made me think about Laibach, so I was primed for something vaguely fascist to happen. The music also suggested impending disaster. And the video … um … didn’t disappoint on that count. Stay off the beach, fat people. 86/99 luftballoons.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jun 2021, 3:33pm
Jennifer Rostock - Feuer
Wouldn’t sound out of place in 1979, the kind of punk that was renamed new wave by the industry so it’d get played on the radio. A whole lotta fun. I give it 87/99 luftballoons.

Nice and laid back. Not much of a melody at work, but it has such an appealing relaxing vibe. 71/99 luftballoons.

I *love* all the changes going on. Scronking sax, easy-going groovy verses, some aggressive guitar coming in a mowing it all down. Having all those disparate pieces and changes could make for a mess, but it’s all quite delightful. 97/99 luftballoons.

Another laid back piece, a conversation about, I’m going to guess, strudel and beer and getting one’s scrap metal to the curb in good time. 64.3 luftballoons.

The voice made me think about Laibach, so I was primed for something vaguely fascist to happen. The music also suggested impending disaster. And the video … um … didn’t disappoint on that count. Stay off the beach, fat people. 86/99 luftballoons.
99/99 luftballoons for the reviews. :lol:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Im way behind again...

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 9:20am
Im way behind again...
Hey, me too. Maybe not as far as you though.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hallo,

Jennifer Rostock - nice straight ahead rock - her voice could use more rage, her look could use less piercings - 8/10

SEEED - nice easy beat/rhythm - kind of skank along music - 8.5/10

Wir sind helden - decent pop, good guitar about halfway through - 8.5/10

Erobique - really good funky intro but then the energy really drops - 7/10

Faber - decent build, decent level of creepiness - 7/10

Dankesehr fur neue music - Ich wünschte mein deutsch wäre besser

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Jennifer Rostock
A decent enough song but I can't help but think others have done that style better. I liked the vocals a lot though.

SEEED
Enjoyable but slightly background-y for me. I could easily have this on when at work. I think it could work it's way into my foreground if there were more of the noise effects things at 3:10 and less of the smooth background vocals

Wir Sind Helden
Loving this. Especially the weird sounds where I have no idea what they are. Reminds me a lot of the mid to late 90s stuff I used to get obsessed with for a short while before moving on to the next shiny object.

Erobique
Musically, I really liked the opening but was worried the voice would be too much like Eartha Kitt. I only really got that from the opening though. I like that I can't place when it would have been recorded and the half sung vocals work really well

Faber
Definitely get horror film vibes with this song, especially with the extended outro. No idea what he's singing about but the passion in his voice coupled with the music makes me hope it's something big. I think it's be a bit disappointed to find out it's that he's unlucky in love or something.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

oliver wrote:
30 Jun 2021, 7:29pm

Faber
Definitely get horror film vibes with this song, especially with the extended outro. No idea what he's singing about but the passion in his voice coupled with the music makes me hope it's something big. I think it's be a bit disappointed to find out it's that he's unlucky in love or something.
It's basically a tirade against right-wing and proto-fascist views and attitudes becoming "acceptable" again.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Olaf wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 3:03am
oliver wrote:
30 Jun 2021, 7:29pm

Faber
It's basically a tirade against right-wing and proto-fascist views and attitudes becoming "acceptable" again.
My Laibach comment seems even more apropos.