A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

Post by matedog »

I'm seeing some good feedback on Rilo Kiley, so I figured I'd post some other awesome tracks from them:

Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
19 Jan 2021, 1:28pm
I'm seeing some good feedback on Rilo Kiley, so I figured I'd post some other awesome tracks from them:

I think you're up next.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
19 Jan 2021, 1:39pm
I think you're up next.
Anyone else still want to opine?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
19 Jan 2021, 1:28pm

Love "Silver Lining." My favourite song of theirs—not that I know many—is "The Good That Won't Come Out":
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

New Order – Be A Rebel
I like that New Order is still out there doing their thing, although I admit a pretty strong preference for their earliest material. I'm not opposed to this kind of music, and it has a few nice hooky touches, but ultimately I don't see this making a strong lasting impression. Would be fine throwing onto a playlist for mixed company, though. 6.5/10

Ryan Adams – When You Cross Over
Sorry, can't appropriately evaluate this. I liked Ryan Adams enough that when the stuff came out about his behavior I was repulsed from listening to his music, but I didn't like his solo work enough to make the "separate artist from art" effort worth the while. No grade.

Rilo Kiley – Close Call
This is good. Some Rilo Kiley just came up on a playlist I was listening to and had a "hey, I should listen to a little more rilo kiley" moment. This is good, catchy, and in line with other RK stuff I'm familiar with. Honestly, I probably like Jenny Lewis' last two solo albums more just in terms of the stuff I personally think to play - I think those last two records of hers are some of the best releases of the last few years (and not just because of the cover photo of her latest solo release - holy smokes). That aside, this is real good stuff. I really like some of the little guitar licks in this one and the last minute or so of Jenny's singing is great. 7.5/10.

Tegan & Sara - Don’t Believe the Things They Tell You (They Lie)
I'm a T&S fan from when they first kinda got big - Hoy may have actually turned me onto them, I can't remember. Honestly, haven't heard much of their stuff in the last few years, especially as they got more and more pop. This is really quite good. I do think I was waiting for this to rev up and it never quite did, which is a little odd. It got louder partway through, but I wanted it to pick up the pace a little. Still, I dunno if I've ever heard anything bad from T&S. 7/10

The Shins – Simple Song
I'm 98% sure this is the Shins album I have on vinyl somewhere, but obviously it's been years since I've listened to it. Good Indie Rock stuff. It makes sense it's from 2012 since it feels very, very 2012. Which is good! It's probably around the last time I feel like I was actively engaged in listening to music take off in new directions, rather than just listening to older artists/trends doing stuff I already know I like them to do. 7/10

Very solid selections overall, and props for picking stuff all from at least the last decade (and some stuff from the last year!)
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

For those who like The Shins, how about Broken Bells? Collab between Danger Mouse and Shins' frontman James Mercer.

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote: Rilo Kiley – Close Call
This is good. Some Rilo Kiley just came up on a playlist I was listening to and had a "hey, I should listen to a little more rilo kiley" moment. This is good, catchy, and in line with other RK stuff I'm familiar with. Honestly, I probably like Jenny Lewis' last two solo albums more just in terms of the stuff I personally think to play - I think those last two records of hers are some of the best releases of the last few years (and not just because of the cover photo of her latest solo release - holy smokes). That aside, this is real good stuff. I really like some of the little guitar licks in this one and the last minute or so of Jenny's singing is great. 7.5/10.
Both unfortunately made with Ryan Adams.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

WestwayKid wrote:
19 Jan 2021, 2:34pm
Yeah, if I recall Lewis put out a pretty thoughtful statement after news of his behavior broke.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
19 Jan 2021, 2:36pm
WestwayKid wrote:
19 Jan 2021, 2:34pm
Yeah, if I recall Lewis put out a pretty thoughtful statement after news of his behavior broke.
Oof, I forgot about that association. He worked with a lot of people and is a big talent. Lewis did have a good response.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Devin Davis - Iron Woman
Depending on the day of the week, this is my all-time favorite song. It has pretty much every writing/arrangement trick I love and it’s barely over 2 minutes – exuberant vocals, clever backing vocals and harmonies, a cut time sax solo that falls apart within seconds, a clap track, and pounding piano chords on the outro. There’s also some weird shit like the second verse beginning while the first chorus is still going on. Davis plays every instrument on this song which is cool.
And there are about three or four songs on this album that I love almost as much as this one. And 16 years later, I’m still waiting for the fucking follow up album.

Titus Andronicus – Dimed Out
If Tom gets to post Metallica, I’m going to post the band I never shut up about. I posted the lyric video because they are so good on this. It’s basically a pure energy explosion of a song with “It’s the End of the World” delivery but it’s basically about embracing yourself and conquering the world in the most positive way possible. Musically it’s got a string section, an IFTL drum fill, and a random key change in the second chorus. It’s not a 10 minute long song about the Civil War like their other stuff, but this has to be my favorite song of theirs.

Bartees Strange – Boomer
Probably my favorite song of 2020. There is a strong hip hop influence on the verses, but don’t be fooled, this is a guitar centric rock song with some big hooks and he sings the hell out of the chorus and bridge. I’m just starting to get into this guy and his diverse influences are right up my alley.

Bad Moves – Spirit FM
More catchy ass guitar rock with exuberant vocals.

Max Roach - Driva Man
I was going to go with some synth pop Heston bait, but opted for something way different given yesterday was King Day. I bought this on a whim years ago based on Max Roach's legend and the album cover. The first track is stark, brutal, and powerful stuff.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

For a change, I'm gettin' to the work sooner than later.

Devin Davis - Iron Woman
I like the strained, earnest-but-dorky vocals. A fun stomper. My friend Will, a power pop nut, would love the shit out of this. This is the kind of thing that I love while it’s playing, but it’s unlikely to stick in my head and play it more often. Which isn’t exactly criticism—there’s a valuable place for those kind of little bombs that go off in your brain.

If we get to use Shakespeare, then I’ll counter with sound and fury, signifying nothing. The energy is undeniable, but it sounds like a temper tantrum. Which is intentional, I guess, but I’m rarely up for that kind of thing.

Bartees Strange – Boomer
I wasn’t much interested until he hit the chorus, and it then it transforms the song going forward. It’s a bit too conventional for my tastes these days, but as a conventional, basic guitar rock song and performance, it’s really good.

Bad Moves – Spirit FM
Bratty pop punk, which I usually only dig when it’s got ladies singin’. Which this does, so I do.

Max Roach - Driva Man
Not very poppy, now, is it? Never could warm to bebop, but no one alive could mistake what that drum smack represents. There’s a stern solemnity to it all that reminds us of the hard times that civil rights protest represented.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jan 2021, 4:36pm
For a change, I'm gettin' to the work sooner than later.

Devin Davis - Iron Woman
I like the strained, earnest-but-dorky vocals. A fun stomper. My friend Will, a power pop nut, would love the shit out of this. This is the kind of thing that I love while it’s playing, but it’s unlikely to stick in my head and play it more often. Which isn’t exactly criticism—there’s a valuable place for those kind of little bombs that go off in your brain.

If we get to use Shakespeare, then I’ll counter with sound and fury, signifying nothing. The energy is undeniable, but it sounds like a temper tantrum. Which is intentional, I guess, but I’m rarely up for that kind of thing.

Bartees Strange – Boomer
I wasn’t much interested until he hit the chorus, and it then it transforms the song going forward. It’s a bit too conventional for my tastes these days, but as a conventional, basic guitar rock song and performance, it’s really good.

Bad Moves – Spirit FM
Bratty pop punk, which I usually only dig when it’s got ladies singin’. Which this does, so I do.

Max Roach - Driva Man
Not very poppy, now, is it? Never could warm to bebop, but no one alive could mistake what that drum smack represents. There’s a stern solemnity to it all that reminds us of the hard times that civil rights protest represented.
Thanks for the expeditious feedback, Doc. I like the description of "strained, earnest-but-dorky vocals." Hadn't thought of it that way, but that's spot on.

Heston

Post by Heston »

I'm on these tonight.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Devin Davis - Iron Woman
Duh duh duh duh duh duh....they offered me the office offered me the shop! Yes this track is OK I'm not mad on it but hey. 5/10

Excellent stuff but the mix is really cluttered like there is too much going on. 7/10

Bartees Strange – Boomer
Couldn't get into this one which is a shame as your write up was great. But it just didn't grab me and felt like the guy was trying just too hard. Doesn't feel natural. If it had a more laid back groove then I think I would've dug it more. 4/10

Bad Moves – Spirit FM
Great great great. Loved this from start to finish. 10/10

Max Roach - Driva Man
Conjures up some film noire setting. Excellent track like it a lot. Solid. 9/10

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Devin Davis - Iron Woman
Yeah, this is pretty decent. Actually reminds me a bit of Ezra Furman, one of my recent picks, especially the sax. 6.5/10

This was a bit shouty for me at first but I warmed to it a bit. I liked the middle section where it got a bit more tuneful but his vocals at the start sound alarmingly like Vim Fuego of Bad News. 5/10

Bartees Strange – Boomer
This is ok and I like the verses but it all sounds a bit pieced together, doesn't flow as well as it could. Maybe due to it being one guy who plays all the instruments. You can't underestimate the power and chemistry of a proper band sometimes. 6/10

Bad Moves – Spirit FM
Definitely my favourite of the bunch. Great hooks and good production, love that ballsy natural sound rather than the polished stuff we get a lot these days. 8/10

Max Roach - Driva Man
A bit jazzy for me. Would enjoy probably enjoy it in a smoke-filled pub full of shady characters and ne'er do wells. 5/10