A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

Post by Kory »

Blankenberge, “We”
I think you posted this in the gazin' thread, and I liked it there as I like it here. Russia seems to have something going going on with their dreampop, I'd be interested in learning more about what they consider to be influences/roots. Really like the power of the outro. 9/10

Girls in Synthesis, “We Might Not Make Tomorrow”
Really like the bass tone here. Actually, I like the tone of the whole thing—I know they don't sound like these bands but I would categorize them in my mind with Fugazi and Drive Like Jehu for the times that I'm in the mood for metal-on-metal music. Is this the vocalist's usual delivery? I'd like to hear him perhaps yelling more, it's a bit on the MES side for me, but I could get used to it. 8/10

Sufjan Stevens, “Tonya Harding”
I liked this more than I thought I would, mostly from a production point of view. Some good depth and texture, and tasteful use of electronic elements. Kind of reminds me of some of Thrice's Water disc on their Alchemy Index album. Could use an interesting bridge section maybe, but I kind of like that you can just zone out and live inside the world that it creates aurally. 7/10

Future Silence, “Aliens”
Instantly liked the bass fuzz, and then was almost immediately disappointed that the snare didn't have the same power, it sounds like it's playing in another room, kind of sucks some of the force out of the song. Aside from that though, I really liked it. The dropout in the middle is cool, and the overall structure is pretty neat. I'll check out more of this. 8/10

Godspeed You! Black Emperor, “Mladic”
You recommended this to me ages ago and I'm still finding time to sit down and take it in without distractions. I have some time off coming up, so I'll make sure to do it then.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 8:24pm
You recommended this to me ages ago and I'm still finding time to sit down and take it in without distractions. I have some time off coming up, so I'll make sure to do it then.
Thanks for listening. Of all the people here, I figured you'd be the most receptive to this set of songs. I'd be surprised (and kinda disappointed) if GYBE didn't hit you between the eyes in a very good way (this song, its album, their entire catalogue).
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 8:35pm
Kory wrote:
Thanks for listening. Of all the people here, I figured you'd be the most receptive to this set of songs. I'd be surprised (and kinda disappointed) if GYBE didn't hit you between the eyes in a very good way (this song, its album, their entire catalogue).
I believe in the original recommendation you said you'd disown me or something if I didn't like it :lol:
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 8:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 8:35pm
Kory wrote:
I believe in the original recommendation you said you'd disown me or something if I didn't like it :lol:
Okay, I stand by that original statement. I can shift your inheritance to the Shriners if you let me down.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Sigrid - High Five. A joy to listen to, love the tune and her vocals. Great energy throughout. The middle 8 changes the feel of the song but works brilliantly going into the pre chorus again before smashing that last chorus. Beautiful.

The Amazons - Stay With Me. Speaking of great energy, check this out. Straight in your face rock, a very underrated band, worth checking out more.

Embrace - Maybe I Wish. No, not the US Embrace but the UK group, fantastically underrated and in my top 3 bands. How this one was just a B Side I'll never know, starts slow but builds up to an epic end. Simply a beautiful song.

Starsailor - Faith Hope Love. Another underrated band. They began mainly as a soft rock band but this album, On The Outside had a slightly heavier feel to it and this is one of my favourites from it, love the tune, the power in the chorus, fantastic vocals and a perfect middle 8.

Metallica - Atlas, Rise! Look I'm sorry, I wanted this one to be Shitallica free but interested on opinions of this one. Though I'm not (too) insane and know their best days are long gone, this one from their latest album does strange things to me. It's tight, got strong vocals for modern era Hetfield and nice riffs. It chugs along nicely and that guitar twiddle that begins at 1.29 is simple but works its magic. Less thrash, but good honest rock here.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I promise I’ll listen to your picks this time, but it’ll be awhile—internet is down and won’t get a tech in till Friday, and I’m inept on phone.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Nov 2020, 4:09pm
I promise I’ll listen to your picks this time, but it’ll be awhile—internet is down and won’t get a tech in till Friday, and I’m inept on phone.
I've turned over a new leaf, Phil who?

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Sigrid - too delicate, nice voice but too delicate. 5/10

The Amazons - great noise - a little too cute at times but I'll be checking out more (the purpose of this thread has been satisfied!). 8/10

Embrace - okay, could use more energy, less syrupy strings. 6/10

Starsailor - another okay track - nothing really bad but nothing form the other end of that spectrum, either. 6/10

Metallica - heavy metal by the numbers - not Tap material but close - faster than Tap, I guess. 5/10

They're a bit brief but my initial thoughts. Thanks for the Amazons.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Sigrid - High Five.

This has exactly zero appeal to me. So many things out like this now. Just not my bag. 3/10

The Amazons - Stay With Me.

This band are from my old home town Reading. I've heard a few things I like nothing exceptional but what they do they do well. 7/10

Embrace - Maybe I Wish.

I really like some of their early material.
How do you describe their sound "emotional soft rock" perhaps. Always a lot of feeling and this track is not bad. 6/10

Starsailor - Faith Hope Love.

Another band very much in the sane vein as Embrace. I bought their first album which must've been about 17 years ago now. And the cd this track is from I bought in a charity shop just before lockdown. This was the best track on the album. 6/10

Metallica - Atlas, Rise!

I know you're a fan and that's completely fair enough. But I don't care for them at all and find them totally contrived and boring. 1/10.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Sigrid - I've heard this one a few times before. Lovely melody but not really into the cutesy delivery on the intro. Not bad at all when the song kicks in properly, love the chorus. 7.5/10

The Amazons - This really reminds me of Spector who had as a choice in my earlier picks. Good solid pop rock that doesn't reinvent the wheel, but that's cool. 7/10

Embrace - Sorry, could just never get into this guy's voice. Also just seems like second rate, lighter-waving festival fodder. 4/10

Starsailor - Always a bit of a plodding band, but they've had some good songs. This is a bit more uptempo and rocking for them but the chorus doesn't quite do it for me. Starts promisingly but just kind of drifts away. 5.5/10

Metallica - This band just rub me up the wrong way. They are just so humourless and take themselves too seriously. "Devil voice" clear and present, and they no doubt played golf after the recording session. 0/10
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

On to Doc's picks...

Blankenberge - I liked the vibe and production of this. Nice ethereal sound but I would have liked some more meat on its bones. 5/10

Girls In Synthesis - Simply not enough melody for me. Reminds me a bit of some of Blur's more noisy experiments, which never connected with me either. 4/10

Sufjan Stevens - This kind of fractured, delicate melody just does nothing for me. Kind of a Moby-ish vibe but not quite as interesting. Remind me how our paths diverged so much when we both loved KISS, Duran Duran and the Beachcombers? 5/10

Future Silence - My favourite of the bunch. A semblance of a hook, and quite like the dissonant guitar. 6/10

Godspeed You! - Reminds me of a bad acid trip I had when I saw the devil's face in the wood pattern of my mate's wardrobe. 0/10
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston always comes thru like a goddamned champ for me. :cool:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Blankenberge, “We”
I prefer the live version, gets a bit menacing at times. I like noise/noisey in general. I would equate this as a type of mood music for me, not what I want all the time but definitely fills a void. 6.5/10

Girls in Synthesis, “We Might Not Make Tomorrow”
No girls? WTF?
Noisy, like I said I like it that way . 7/10

Sufjan Stevens, “Tonya Harding”
Never really took to SS. I like the sentiment of the song but also agree that she herself decided her fate for the most part. Still not a fan of his style/delivery. 6/10

Future Silence, “Aliens”
Like the music but not a big fan of the vocal effect. 7/10

This shit is pretty cool. Always meant to check them out, never have til this. I like it. Again not something I would regularly listen to but there's definitely a time and place for me for this kind of thing. 8/10

Now to do my other assignments

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Here's my report for Tom, still need to do Jenny and Olaf's...

Sigrid - High Five.
Not for me plain and simple 0/10

The Amazons - Stay With Me.
Starts off strong with some good energy. Makes me think of what the Foo Fighters would sound like if I knew what the Foo Fighters sounded like. 5/10

Embrace - Maybe I Wish. No, not the US Embrace - Damnit you almost had me for a second. Just doesn't work for me, sounds like music for a bad teen drama. 0/10.

Starsailor - Faith Hope Love.
Not working for me either. I find it similar to the band above (UK Embrace). 2/10

Metallica - Atlas, Rise!
Much better than I expected, seems to harken back a bit to the early days but I found it a bit too long. I probably would have liked this more when I was 15 or so. 6.5/10

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
24 Nov 2020, 8:34pm
This shit is pretty cool. Always meant to check them out, never have til this. I like it. Again not something I would regularly listen to but there's definitely a time and place for me for this kind of thing. 8/10
I’m a bit surprised. I wouldn’t think you’d dig this kind of art rock, but I’m nonetheless pleased. You’d likely be good with recent period Swans, as it’s generally noisier but just as long.