A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Re: A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

Post by BitterTom »

Thanks all for reviews and best wishes, still no sign of baby though, the waiting game continues! Been manic in work for Easter, hence my lack of posts but appreciate listening to my 5 even if they weren't to most likings! gkbill I believe is next in line.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Some of these I may have posted in other threads - if so, I apologize. Here goes:

Swamp Dogg - Total Destruction to your Mind. Funky.

Waco Brothers - Do you ever think about me? Honky-tonk for sure.

The Oblivians - Fire Detector. Great band and sound. I'm not sure what "She mistook me for a fire detector" means but it doesn't bother me that much when I hear the song.

Songhoy Blues - Sahara. This features someone you probably know - he struggles a bit but he's making the effort.

Was (Not Was) - Crazy Water. Say what you will about Was (Not Was) - dated production, 70's, 80's, or 90's sound, but they did produce some great stuff. Sweet Pea can sing.

Enjoy or die trying!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Swamp Dogg - Total Destruction to your Mind - I love this and saddened this my first time hearing this artist. 8.5/10

Waco Brothers - Do you ever think about me? - Im a sucker for those horns. I like it but would like it more if it was less slick sounding if you know what I mean. 6/10

The Oblivians - Fire Detector. - Okay another fan here love these guys. Dirty garage rock. I picked up their (I believe) most recent and excellent album Desperation when I was out in Flex country a few years back. Everyone should listen to Guitar Shop Asshole (caution this is much rougher/dirtier than the video gkbill posted.7/10

Songhoy Blues - Sahara. - I'll have to seek out more, this was also quite enjoyable. I like blues and mix in the African influences and you have gold. 8/10

Was (Not Was) - Crazy Water
Umm, I probably should like this more than I do. I think I would feel this way even without knowing the WNW connection (Im not a big fan of their production but I know a lot of people are). 6/10
Last edited by revbob on 05 Apr 2021, 4:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Swamp Dogg - Total Destruction to your Mind. Holy crap but this is great. Words fail me. How can something so damned funky also be so weirdly easy going?

Waco Brothers - Do You Ever Think About Me? It’s alright. By which I mean I’m not wondering when it’s going to end or wishing it’d keep going. It’s pretty bar band-sounding, which is what you want if you’re there, but sitting at home it’s … alright.

The Oblivians - Fire Detector. Nice and dirty urgency. None of that convoluted, slow-moving crap that I’ve offered up. ;-)

Songhoy Blues - Sahara. Cool rhythm to it all. Iggy doesn’t really bring much to the experience, tho. Indeed, it might have been better as an instrumental.

Was (Not Was) - Crazy Water. Too sterile and clean for me. Compare it to the easy stank of Swamp Dogg. It’s Hollywood R&B.

But this set wins mightily because of Swamp Dogg. Damn, that shit is great.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I'll be taking these to the lab tomorrow night, sounds promising.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

Swamp Dogg - Total Destruction to your Mind. I really dig this, has a Spencer Davis Group vibe to it. Impeccable production and fantastic vocals. Love the horns too. 8.5/10

Waco Brothers - Do You Ever Think About Me? This kind of reminds me of Huey Lewis or Steel Wheels-era Rolling Stones which isn't a great thing for me. Not offensive and quite catchy but nothing really grabbing me. 6/10

The Oblivians - I quite like this but felt the vocals were a bit lost in that live version. Listened to the studio version which was much better. 7/10

Songhoy Blues - Sahara. Wasn't that keen at first but started grabbing me after a couple of listens. Nice hypnotic vibe but the vocals seem a bit of an afterthought. 6/10

Was (Not Was) - Crazy Water. Agree with Doc about the sterile sound and I don't like the band or the song. 4/10
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Swamp Dogg - Total Destruction to your Mind. I already have this track and I'm a big fan. Was it me or you that posted it here in the YouTube thread a couple of years back. 9/10

Waco Brothers - Do You Ever Think About Me? This doesn't quite hit the spot. It's not bad but just a bit lacking. 5/10

The Oblivians - Like Heston I prefer the studio version. 6/10

Songhoy Blues - Sahara. This would've worked way better as an Instrumental for me. 6/10

Was (Not Was) - Crazy Water. Lacking that real authentic vibe and sounds a bit forced. Too smooth and needs dirtying up a bit. 4/10

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

Swamp Dogg - Total Destruction To Your Mind - I never heard of this guy before, nor had I ever heard the song before. I like it, and I agree with Heston, it does have a Spencer Davis group feel to it. After hearing this, I am going to check out more of his stuff. 7.5/10

Waco Brothers - Do You Ever Think About Me - An OK song, but this doesn't "do it" for me. Its just ok for my tastes, nothing outstanding. 5/10

The Oblivians - Fire Detector - I like this one a lot. Good sound, fast tempo, and I haven't a clue what the lyrics are about. But I will also check out more of these guys' stuff based on this. 8.5/10

Songhoy Blues - Sahara - I like Iggy but I don't feel like he added all that much to this forgettable (to me) song. I liked this song the least of this set of 5. Musically to me its just meh. 3/10

Was (Not Was) - Crazy Water - A good song, not great but good, and he can sing this style of music very well in my opinion. 6/10

Overall, an enjoyable 5 songs for me.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

I know nobody asked but I have a set of 5 for the panel. Please accept my apologies in advance if I should not have posted this at this time on this thread. I had a few others I would love to hear this group's opinions on but they are not on youtube and the only audio copies I have were recorded off a distant college radio station 30+ years ago so, instead I have found a set of 5 that ARE on youtube and here they are....

The Toasters - Dub 56 chat version - We don't want no pushin' no shovin' no lootin' no kickin' no shootin' goona be danger ... love this version personally ....

Mega City Four - Stop - One of my faves from an underrated band ...

Psychefunkapus - Hillbilly Happy Smash - This song is fun ...

The Holy Sisters Of Gaga Dada - Paranoid - A yodelling version which gave me a thrill the first time I heard it, lol ...

The Sports - Who Listens To The Radio - Australian power pop as its classified, I remember first hearing this song on my cable TV before MTV was created, on a music video TV show from Atlanta back in 1979, they played a video for this song which is not on youtube which surprised me since I must have seen it back then 50 times. But I like this one a lot ...
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Toasters - Dub 56 (chat version). I mentioned in a previous batch where someone posted ska that I completely lack the vocabulary or sensibility to evaluate it. Which is to say that 95% of what I hear I like but not in a way that I know what I’m looking for, just that vague “yeah, this is decent.” That lack of discernment kinda voids any opinion, I think. That said, I really dig the rapid fire toasting in this one.

Mega City Four - Stop. I’ve come across the band name over and over—possibly from people here—but never actually heard anything from them (not that I can recall). This is fine, tho not especially distinct from other power poppish bands of the late 80s. A good friend is a power pop fan and this would have fit perfectly on any number of his mix tapes. The kind of thing that would have made more of an impression on me at the time, but suffers from a familiarity-breeds-contempt shrug.

Psychefunkapus - Hillbilly Happy Smash. Ha! Clearly inspired by possibly my favourite Bugs Bunny short. I’m sure everyone here knows it, but any excuse to be reminded:

That said, this song is fuckin’ inspired lunacy and makes me smile like a weirdo.

The Holy Sisters Of Gaga Dada - Paranoid. There is no such thing as a bad cover of “Paranoid.” Probably not something I’d return to often, but I still feel a better person for having heard this.

The Sports - Who Listens To The Radio. I’d sell Olaf into prostitution if I’m wrong that I’ve heard this before, but I haven’t a clue when or where. It sounds entirely of its time, but 1979 was a really good year for music. Just plain fun rock n roll, like power pop promised.

All in all, a solid selection of tunes.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Swamp Dogg
One of those songs I wonder how I've never heard before. Weirdly, not the sort of thing I normally gravitate to but I can see that it should be a lot more popular. Maybe it is popular and it's me whose out of touch. Who knows? (rhetorical question, pop-crazed youngsters)

Waco Brothers
A song of two parts. I really like the verses but find it hard to get over the chorus which is a little too close to the modern country I hear a lot of in GA blaring out from every pick-up truck with absurdly wide tyres.

Oblivions
Liked this one a lot, especially the responses from the non-main singer :) They look like they should be doing soft Toto covers in Starbucks but then you hear something like this and it's totally unexpected and a nice surprise. This is the one I've re-played the most of the five (followed by Songhoy Blues)

Songhoy Blues
Like this one too. A bit different and it reminds me of something specific that I can't quite put my finger on. When I twig on I'll be like 'duh, of course, how did I miss that?'
As an immediate gut reaction I probably like The Oblivions more but this intrigues me to investigate further.

Was (Not Was)
Doesn't do an awful lot for me. I can't say I dislike it but I find it hard to forgive WNW for Walk the Dinosaur so if I do like anything by them it will be ever so reluctantly. Does that mean I actually do like it? Can't say. Let's just say I don't dislike it.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I'll let Heston admonish someone for Weller259 posting out of turn. Its good to get more people into this. Here's my take...

The Toasters - Dub 56  - The Toasters are a quality ska band. I cant imagine someone not liking this. 8/10

Mega City Four - Stop: Not my kind of thing. I shouldn't watch the video because it makes me think of Jesus Jones for some reason and that's never a good thing. I dont like the singer's voice at all but at least it isnt Callie Rae Jepsen or something 4/10

Psychefunkapus - Hillbilly Happy Smash: 45 seconds of ?? to start, not a good thing but yeah like Doc mentioned I was immediately reminded of the Bugs Bunny square dance with the hill billys episode. Umm, not really taking it seriously more like a Wierd Al parody 5/10

The Holy Sisters Of Gaga Dada - Paranoid: its a bold move to cover one of the greatest songs ever but they do a good job of making it their own. This will go on my Paranoid cover mix cd coming to your local record shop soon. 7/10.

The Sports - Who Listens To The Radio: A decent pop song. Reminds me of a cross between Elvis Costello and Joe Jackson. 6.5/10

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 9:42pm
I'll let Heston admonish someone for Weller259 posting out of turn. Its good to get more people into this.
I'll not admonish anyone. But I'd love every one who posts a list to try to do a review or two, that's the only thing that will keep the thread alive.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

How do I get in on this?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 3:18am
How do I get in on this?
There's a list of people in order. You can join the list no problem. It's Tom's thread and he organised things. His partner is expecting a baby any day soon so he may be a liitle bit busy.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia