A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

Post by Flex »

Catching up on a couple more clutches of 5s. Here's Hes'

Miles Kane - Better Than That
Really like the riff in this one, a nice tight stomper that doesn't outstay its welcome. Pure energy with just a hint at constraint that keeps propelling you to the end. 8/10

Hammell On Trial - I'm Gonna Watch You Sleep
Kept thinking this album was called "Coochtown" which also would have been good. As I've said just above with Maj's picks, the story-song style is a pretty strong winner for me. This one is a touch more sing-y than most in that style that I adore, but a lot of the hallmarks are here. The guitar was about to get annoying but the bit of electric growl that kicks in at the 2-something minute mark saves the day. 7/10

Silver Sun - I'll See You Around
I think I'm learning more and more that what's being called "power pop" in these threads rarely gets more than an "its fine" from me. This is mostly fine. Knocked an additional point because it should have ended a minute earlier. 5/10

Michael Kiwanuka - You Ain't the Problem
i LOVE this. Great soulful vocals, awesome percussion and a really nice bass line. Really cool little guitar licks too. I just ordered up his new album, great find. 9/10

Soap - Golden Days
What a corker of a tune. There are great little touches throughout the song and nice crunchy feel throughout. A nicely sung chorus rounds things out. 7/10

Solid selection Hes, and appreciate a nice clutch of new(er) tunes that I wasn't familiar with and really enjoyed.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

And apologies for more lateness, but my takes on Marky's last batch:

The BellRays - Zero PM
The BellRays have been selected before, and I'm familair with them. They are SO SO good, this is a great example of what they do. 9/10

The Icicle Works - Tin Can
Great concept and execution. Have never heard of these guys but it's got a nice jittery feel to it. 7/10

Dave Bartholomew - The Monkey
Love this one. Really great, sly lyrics and the style is definitely some great proto-rock. I love this era of music. 9/10

The Electric Soft Parade - There's A Silence
Very early aughts vibe here, tho maybe a little cleaner than I like my psych influenced bands, really. Still, can't fault the basic construction of the song at all. Quiet/loud is usually a surefire winner. 6.5/10

The Dramatics - The Devil Is Dope
Love this so much. Unsettling and good as (ahem) hell, soul. Different ways to think about the lyrics themselves, but I always love me some gospel-inspired fire and brimstone and there's a connectivity to real street experiences suggested here that I appreciate. 10/10

Not that I'd expect anything different, but a very high quality selection of songs, Marky.

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
06 May 2021, 1:42pm
And apologies for more lateness, but my takes on Marky's last batch:

The BellRays - Zero PM
The BellRays have been selected before, and I'm familair with them. They are SO SO good, this is a great example of what they do. 9/10

The Icicle Works - Tin Can
Great concept and execution. Have never heard of these guys but it's got a nice jittery feel to it. 7/10

Dave Bartholomew - The Monkey
Love this one. Really great, sly lyrics and the style is definitely some great proto-rock. I love this era of music. 9/10

The Electric Soft Parade - There's A Silence
Very early aughts vibe here, tho maybe a little cleaner than I like my psych influenced bands, really. Still, can't fault the basic construction of the song at all. Quiet/loud is usually a surefire winner. 6.5/10

The Dramatics - The Devil Is Dope
Love this so much. Unsettling and good as (ahem) hell, soul. Different ways to think about the lyrics themselves, but I always love me some gospel-inspired fire and brimstone and there's a connectivity to real street experiences suggested here that I appreciate. 10/10

Not that I'd expect anything different, but a very high quality selection of songs, Marky.
Thanks Flex, appreciated.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I didn't get the savaging I was expecting, thanks to all who reviewed.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Flex

Post by Flex »

Heston wrote:
06 May 2021, 2:44pm
you do a good job playing off your well earned reputation as someone who enjoys terrible music when you put forward good tracks. Dare I call it... subversive?

Pex Lives!

Heston

Post by Heston »

Flex wrote:
06 May 2021, 2:48pm
Heston wrote:
you do a good job playing off your well earned reputation as someone who enjoys terrible music when you put forward good tracks. Dare I call it... subversive?
Ah, the Starship parallax.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
06 May 2021, 2:59pm
Flex wrote:
06 May 2021, 2:48pm
Heston wrote:
Ah, the Starship parallax.
You've read Heinlein's unpublished novel?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Finally coming in on time with one of these.

Chaila - Denise Chaila
I like the beat a lot, the vocals are maybe a little too casual, but I could see them growing on me. I like the general mood though, I could be inspired to check out more. Also, I might have missed this but she keeps telling me to say her name, listing all the ways not to pronounce it, but never tells me what it actually is. Is it as it looks? 6/10

Fixer Upper - Yard Act
This really reminds me of something but I can't scrape it out of my brain for some reason. Something like a cross between the Streets and one of those mid 2000s bands? Pretty good, but I would be looking for the rest of their stuff to be diverse and not leaning on this formula too much. 6/10

Laugh Laugh - The Beau Brummels
It's got that vertigo-inducing 60s stereo separation with the drums all in one speaker. Other than that it's ok, but I never really got into this kind of stuff. Kind of funny because I really like The Coral and they were obviously influenced by this kind of thing. But I recognize that they're a pretty off-brand band for me. This track has fun harmonies and everything is nice and clear. 6/10

Stepping Razor - Peter Tosh
An all-time favorite here, nothing critical to say about it at all. The bonus is the great lead guitar work (in this case by Al Anderson, I think), which is pretty rare in reggae. I've only heard Earl Smith and Junior Marvin hit this mark. Great croaky clavinet, too. Really cool how it switches from one drop to steppers for the choruses. Nice threatening tone. 11/10

Cod Liver Oil and the Orange Juice - Hamish Imlach
I don't often listen to single guitar/voice music, but this is pleasant. Good mood/energy from the singer, good timbre. 6/10
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
07 May 2021, 6:27pm

Chaila - Denise Chaila
I like the beat a lot, the vocals are maybe a little too casual, but I could see them growing on me. I like the general mood though, I could be inspired to check out more. Also, I might have missed this but she keeps telling me to say her name, listing all the ways not to pronounce it, but never tells me what it actually is. Is it as it looks? 6/10
Yeah I was struck by this too. I mean people are generally used to the names that are prominent in the area/country/culture they were raised. When they see a name they don't recognize they try and shoe horn it into something they know/recognize. My last name despite having only 2 syllables and following standard phonics rules for english gets butchered all the time. My son's name is Sean and he says his teachers often pronounce is Seen the first few times. So I dont always ascribe ill intentions when someone has trouble pronouncing a name that they are not familiar with. Which is to say people are usually assholes for other reasons.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
07 May 2021, 8:06pm
Kory wrote:
07 May 2021, 6:27pm

Chaila - Denise Chaila
Yeah I was struck by this too. I mean people are generally used to the names that are prominent in the area/country/culture they were raised. When they see a name they don't recognize they try and shoe horn it into something they know/recognize. My last name despite having only 2 syllables and following standard phonics rules for english gets butchered all the time. My son's name is Sean and he says his teachers often pronounce is Seen the first few times. So I dont always ascribe ill intentions when someone has trouble pronouncing a name that they are not familiar with. Which is to say people are usually assholes for other reasons.
The first syllable of my last name often gets a Frenchified—swah, rather than soy—but I can understand why, living in a English/French country, and especially in a heavily bilingual city.

Also, you're up tomorrow Reverse Reverend Bob. Pick something good or I'm using all my words on you. :shifty:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 May 2021, 12:16pm

Also, you're up tomorrow Reverse Reverend Bob. Pick something good or I'm using all my words on you. :shifty:
Ummm the dog ate mine?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
09 May 2021, 2:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Ummm the dog ate mine?
Expect to hear from Mr. Ballcrusher in HR by the end of the day.

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Ummm the dog ate mine?
I need my noise terror assignment.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
09 May 2021, 3:12pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Ummm the dog ate mine?
Sorry I haven't been in that frame of mind as of late, too many things going on around me to relax and get into it. Next round, promise. I do have something for tomorrow just not noisy stuff. Im a complicated individual.

In the meantime my assessment of James submission from last week.

Chaila - Denise Chaila
I like this but like Kory pointed out Im still not sure how to pronounce your name, my initial impression would by Chy-la. 7/10

Fixer Upper - Yard Act
Little known fact Doc wrote this about his old neighbor double wide. Has a latter day Chumbawamba feel to it. It is catchy. 7/10

Laugh Laugh - The Beau Brummels
Kind of generic pop of that era. 5/10

Stepping Razor - Peter Tosh
Great song no need to elaborate. 8/10

Cod Liver Oil and the Orange Juice - Hamish Imlach
I think this is the sort of thing meant to be experienced live in a pub drink in hand. Ive got the drink but not the pub vibe. 5/10

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
09 May 2021, 3:12pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Ummm the dog ate mine?
That can be arranged, Clive!