A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jul 2021, 8:45pm
BitterTom wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Well, my selections drew modest interest, which suggests either I lost the trust of the mob or declining interest for the exercise in general. Let's assume the former, and so we go back to the top with Tom again, or if he's unavailable, gkbill.
I'm still enjoying the excercise, just a little behind. What the fuck, let's keep it going .
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Heston wrote:
11 Jul 2021, 9:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Well, my selections drew modest interest, which suggests either I lost the trust of the mob or declining interest for the exercise in general. Let's assume the former, and so we go back to the top with Tom again, or if he's unavailable, gkbill.
I'm still enjoying the excercise, just a little behind. What the fuck, let's keep it going .
Hello,

I really appreciate learning about new stuff. I've been traveling/working quite a bit and will be doing so through 7/18 - I can pick up on 7/19 as I have a list already.

Please keep this going.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
gkbill wrote:
I just have a lot of catching up to do and my OCD tends to prevent me from listening to the newer submissions until Ive finished the older ones. We must have order!

Anyway this was a long time coming, my review of Mateys 5. Ive gotten away from the numbers again. I think its easy to tell where Im at without them

Softee – Oh No. You predicted I wouldn't like it and you are correct. The vocals are nice tbe music is dreadful, I feel like I was dragged back to 80s movie soundtrack hell.

KennyHoopla – how will I rest in peace if I’m buried by a highway? - Good energy, sounds familiar somehow but Ive never heard it. The vocal breakdowns detract over time.

Sheer Mag – Nobody’s Baby
Yeah this is cool, you describe it perfectly.

Camp Cope - The Opener
I hate the vocals and the music, it reminds me of counting crows which can never be a good thing. Ill take your word on the lyrics, sounds like a good message lost in terrible packaging.

Blood Orange – You’re Not Good Enough. It seems like a good example of the style, just not my style.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Hoping for a C- this semester and getting these all in "on the last day".

Kory:

Like a lot of these submissions, I'm not familiar with any of these artists and that's a good thing, what we're going for right ??

Crumb - Locket
I generally have a hard time with mellow music, it just isnt really my thing. Which is not to say I never listen to mellow stuff just that I have to be in the right setting/frame of mind and I rarely am. Probably says more about my shortcomings than that of the music. I'm sort of going thru some self analysis as I write this, fits well into Doc's observation that my dreams tend to be work/task oriented.

The Internet - Get Away. Nice vocals, but otherwise see above comment.

Glasser - Mirrorage. I like the vocals. I'm generally a sucker for good female vocals. This is my favorite so far. There's sort of a dark haunting vibe to it. Again not my normal kind of go to music but was actually a bit disappointed when it ended.

Pylon - Dub. I'm probably one of the few not familiar with this band. Its a bit messy/disorganized sounding which I appreciate. While I dont eschew harmony I tend to prefer dissonance. I really like the vocals too, not sweet and soothing like some of the prior submissions in this 5 but it certainly goes well with the music. If this is representative of the rest of their work then I've clearly been missing out. Thanks Kory.

Sorry - Things to Hold Onto While not melodic, I find it lacking in energy and perhaps is a bad follow up for me from the prior song. Maybe I've had too much caffeine this morning but I have little patience for this song.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I've been on vacay and generally am way behind. Planning on catching up on this thread today, keep it going folks!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Am I up next?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 1:02pm
Am I up next?
Nope (I've taken it upon myself to send the reminders; if you don't call you out on Sunday, you're good). It's Tom, and given that he's busy raising kids and other selfish stuff like that, then gkbill is after that, who has said he can't go till next week. Rather than get out of order and because some have fallen behind, I guess we'll just pause it this week.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 1:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Am I up next?
Nope (I've taken it upon myself to send the reminders; if you don't call you out on Sunday, you're good). It's Tom, and given that he's busy raising kids and other selfish stuff like that, then gkbill is after that, who has said he can't go till next week. Rather than get out of order and because some have fallen behind, I guess we'll just pause it this week.
Thanks teach.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 2:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Am I up next?
Thanks teach.
I preached some kind of order at the start but no one would listen.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 2:12pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Am I up next?
Thanks teach.
I said before that you just have to know who precedes you and make a note that the Monday after them, you're up. But you nanny state sheeple need government to tell you what to do. This thread is why Steve hated you all, and if his bunker deep beneath the Rockies gets the internet, he's sneering at you all right now.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Or you could go to page 1 where I diligently posted the list. (Which shows Im still 3 behind) can I get another week teach? I think my dog ate it.

The order:

BitterTom
gkbill
Flex
Marky Dread
Heston
Silent Majority
revbob
WestwayKid
matedog
Kory
oliver
Olaf
Medulla

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 2:19pm
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Am I up next?
Thanks teach.
I said before that you just have to know who precedes you and make a note that the Monday after them, you're up. But you nanny state sheeple need government to tell you what to do. This thread is why Steve hated you all, and if his bunker deep beneath the Rockies gets the internet, he's sneering at you all right now.
I can't keep up with who can and can't make it or go next. Also I can't have babies so there is that. You better call me on time Medulla!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 2:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Thanks teach.
I can't keep up with who can and can't make it or go next. Also I can't have babies so there is that. You better call me on time Medulla!
Im glad you still have a few weeks as I'll need/want a few before I can string together 5 songs that Hoy hates.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 2:37pm
Marky Dread wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 2:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:

Thanks teach.
Im glad you still have a few weeks as I'll need/want a few before I can string together 5 songs that Hoy hates.
🤣

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 2:37pm
The biggest surprise of this game for me is how much of Hoy's stuff I've liked. Get him out of the Clinton Decade and he's pretty non-horrific.