A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 10:32am
Softee – Oh No –
Not for me. I kept waiting for these great hooks to start but didn't hear any. Just really bored me. 4/10

KennyHoopla – how will I rest in peace if I’m buried by a highway?
It's okay I guess. Seems like they can't decide to be punk or grunge. Shouty vocals became really monotonous after the first verse. 5/10

Sheer Mag – Nobody’s Baby
70s punk? I don't hear that but maybe 90s punk. Her voice was good with attitude but that guitar tone is crap. 6/10

Camp Cope
6/10 for the lyrics 3/10 for the lack of a song.

Blood Orange – You’re Not Good Enough
Definitively get the Prince/Michael Jackson vibe here. This song isn't as good as either as those but they were masters so it's an unfair comparison. I like this well enough for it's pop credentials. 8/10.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

revbob wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 7:13pm
matedog wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 6:27pm
revbob wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 5:39pm
matedog wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 4:49pm
Ahem, I don't like music that eschews modernity. :shifty:
You've made this point clear but I guess Im not quite sure how the term is defined in your book. When does modernity begin? And what does one need to do with existing instruments to provide that modernity?
I think I noted a potential hypocrisy when I've brought it up before. Why is stuff pretending to be from the 70s and 80s okay, but not from the 50s?

Instrumentation and production can be really evocative of a past time and place, but lyrics can as well. My comparison is the first Leon Bridges album to Amy Winehouse. Leon Bridges looks and sounds (at least the first album) as if the last 60 years never happened. Amy Winehouse and particularly her work with Mark Ronson does have a vintage sound, but her lyrics are not something you would have heard back in the day. Same for minor touches like drum machines and what not.

For my picks, the synth pop ones (Softee and Blood Orange) sound like a new take on a vintage sound if that makes sense. Not unlike WWK's Duran Duran single (which I wasn't crazy about but did manage to sound not completely vintage). KennyHoopla is reminiscent of Bloc Party and other early-mid aughts dance-punk as Doc and I discussed. It's 15+ years now, but that sound doesn't feel that distant (I'm showing my age now) or vintage for the sake of being vintage. Like I don't think they conscientiously tried to sound like a throwback to the not too distant past. Camp Cope is definitely traditional instrumentation of rock and really 90s alt rock, but the heavy melodic bass does remind me a bit of PIL. Regardless, the lyrical content seems to be very modern day, particularly the line about "It's another straight cis man who knows more about this than me." General female empowerment lyrics are obviously not new, but some of the terminology and the topics covered seem very specific to now. Sheer Mag is the least defensible. Particularly with that video. I just have a soft spot for catchy guitar rock and I think it's cool that they have a large female singer.

That's the best defense/explanation I can muster and I'm sure it's wrought with inconsistencies.
Soooo again early release day so maybe Im having trouble following. Your first statement about 70s/80s but not 50s being acceptable is confusing to me, I wouldn't classify any of it as modern...

I agree production, instrumentation and lyrics can play a role in terms of how modern a song sounds but can we at least agree that neither retro nor modern is good on its own. Maybe Im biased but drum machines and more recent vocal effects do nothing for me.
I was pointing out my own hypocrisy re: 50s vs. 70s/80s.

I definitely agree that traditional organic instrumentation ages better than tech of the time. I think London Calling sounds timeless for example, but Combat Rock has some definite spots that sound more dated despite being more recent. The 70's/80s miming stuff that I enjoy now still has a modern sheen, so it doesn't sound dated...yet, but will likely hold up less well than more organic stuff of today or even yesteryear.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Softee – Oh No
Normally I like this kind of thing but this song feels like it needs something. I suppose the focus is on the vocals, and maybe rightly so, but I can't help thinking it needs an extra layer of something. Good, clean production, Polachek-esque vocals. I think I'll still check out some more from this artist just to do my due diligence. 6/10

KennyHoopla – how will I rest in peace if I’m buried by a highway?
I ran into these guys a couple weeks ago. Obviously going for a certain sound, complete with a Kele mimic. Pleasant enough, but I suppose I might as well just listen to Bloc Party rather than their clone—they're not adding enough to the sound, but I suppose it's been enough time that the kidz won't remember who they're copying. Also that hi-hat is way too present in the mix. 6/10

Sheer Mag – Nobody’s Baby
Good energy, clean production. It needs some dynamic shifts, the whole thing seems to be about the same energy level—this could have been easily rectified if the drummer liked crash cymbals at all and wanted to use them in the chorus. Pretty sweet double-tracked guitar solo, but then when he comes out of it the song is still chugging along at the same levelit doesn't make good on its threat to pump up the energy. Still, serviceable and fun with a good message. 7/10

Camp Cope
I don't know if it's just my mood or something but none of these tracks seem like they're going anywhere. Typically I don't mind songs that are only built on one repeated progression or figure, but either it's not hitting me today for some reason, or these artists are just missing some more interesting layering or something. I like the vocals and how they gain in strength as they go along. The mix is a little muddy, but that sort of adds to the charm/lo-fi nature. 6/10

Blood Orange – You’re Not Good Enough
I'm familiar with this artist but haven't had a chance to really dig in. Really like the groove here, especially how it seems to pull back at the end of each phrase in the verse. Nice very clean production, cool vocals. Very smooth, going to have to finally do a full career overview soon. 9/10
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

softee - I like the squelchy keyboard parts but I think, and who am I to tell an artist about their song, that a 3 minute version would have suited me better. I was drifting by the 4th minute.

kennyhoopla - the music threatened to excite but ended up not quite doing it. I liked the vocal a lot though.

sheer mag - I should like this but, for reasons I can't put my finger on it doesn't sound quite right to me. Not that I dislike it but it's like 'not enough from A, but too much from B.' I think they're possibly going for a 'Celebrity Skin' by Hole thing and they'd have to be a revelation to top that.

camp cope - Undoubtedly my favourite of the bunch. I love the musical repetition (as you mentioned) and the vocal is great too. Loved the lyrics.

blood orange - Kind of smooth but doesn't do a whole lot for me. Not really a genre that is ever much more than background for me.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
A reminder that you get to post more of your favourite Starbucks grunge songs tomorrow.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I thought I already did the 5 Hoys.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 10:10am
Kory wrote:
A reminder that you get to post more of your favourite Starbucks grunge songs tomorrow.
That is the most unkindest cut I've ever received here.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 2:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I spared adding a Microsoft reference because it's the Lord's day.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 2:44pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Boeing babeeeeeeee

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 2:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 2:44pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Boeing babeeeeeeee
My grandpappy was an Airbus man, my pappy was an Airbus man, and I'll die an Airbus man.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Softees - all the 80's synth comparisons are valid but the vocals don't match - these vocals are kind of blah for me - the synth tracks are okay but find a different vocalist, maybe with more edge.

Kenny Hoopla - good rhythm track - avoid to slow passages (bridges?) - the vocalist seems to be trying to hard - where's the bass player? overall, liked it.

Sheer Mag - decent riffy guitar stiff - the vocals are a bit buried - overall, fun but not memorable.

Camp Cope - kind of plodding and whiny.

Blood Orange - I get the Prince comparison as well as other 80's-ish artists - it's decent but doesn't really stand out to me - it probably wouldn't stand out n the 80's as well - maybe more edge.

Thanks! I hadn't heard of any of these bands/artists. I considered more vocals in this bunch than most - I don't know why - but I'm better for learning about them.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Crumb—Locket: Groovy psychedelics. Fun production shifts and sounds. Get high for the video. This was their "breakout" single, but the new album just came out with some darker feelings.

The Internet—Get Away: Hard-ass beat, heavenly vocals. This song's on the more synthetic side, though they are a full band and a lot of their stuff is more in the funk vein, but the beat on this one just drills.

Glasser—Mirrorage: One of my favorite musical auteurs, though she's been missing for ages. I like how it builds on the single repeated figure, but that's kind of just my jam in general lately.

Pylon—Dub: Probably well-known to many here, but I got their recent box set and have been thinking about them a lot lately. This song is what I would call "balls-out post-punk" and I love how wild it is. Plus, I also eat dub for breakfast so we have something in common.

Sorry—Things to Hold Onto: I just got introduced to these guys last week but I'm really digging them. They seem to have something valuable going on, but I haven't fully familiarized myself yet. This song stands out to me for its pleasant dissonances. I could see working with them being very fun.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Crumb, “Locket.”
I like the balance between the almost monotonous voice and the groovy, sometimes trippy music. Or maybe the voice is dreamy against the swirling sounds. Appropriately, the last couple minutes feels like coming down. Very cool without being obvious stoner music.

The Internet, “Get Away.”
Hate the band name. Luckily they’re better than their name suggests (c.f. Radiohead). Alternately dark and hopeful in effect. That sound is so wonderfully deep, you wish the song went on for another five or ten minutes.

Glasser, “Mirrorage.”
Reminds me of Poliça. Quite simply done, gradually building more and more, and ratcheting up the effect. Not something that really sticks with you once it’s over, but it has a mesmerizing quality while it’s going.

Pylon, “Dub.”
Pylon is yet another of those bands that I rarely think to play, then when I do I think were the best thing around. Amazing how so many post-punk bands gravitated to that scratchy, nasty guitar married to a mutant funk bass (e.g., Gang of Four, The Au Pairs). It’s more interesting to consider that it was happening on both sides of the Atlantic, with limited exposure to what was happening on either side. Post-punk bands somehow just gravitated to common modes of expression. Anyway, this is superior and sublime.

Sorry, “Things to Hold Onto.”
Kinda lazy casual in a playful way. Individually, there’s just so much going on, but it comes together in a very complementary way. Less a song than a vignette, but no less captivating.

Solid, solid selection.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Crumb - kind of felt backgroundy to me. Nothing to dislike but it didn't hold my attention, even with an interesting video. I absolutely wasn't high when I listened though.

The Internet - this one isn't really doing it for me. Just kind of meanders and then ends. I have periods when I try to listen to stuff like this but then I return to what I'm familiar with.

Glasser - I like this one but it doesn't excite me that much. Like it would be a strong album track but not a single (although, what do I know? hardly anything I liked ever charted)

Pylon - Really interesting. Almost like 3 song played on top of each other and I kind of like them all.

Sorry - Probably my favourite. The last two are definitely my favourites of the five but this one just about pips Pylon. It's like an aural nightmare in a good way.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Sorry I've missed the last three bunch of fives, I really need to catch up and I will try tomorrow.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board