A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 10:51am
Marky Dread wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 10:09am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 9:12am
revbob wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 9:11am
Locked and loaded. Im hoping for comments/review from Doc too, Ill be disappointed if I dont get any. Fuck the so called rule that if you dont post a list of 5 you cant comment.
Hey, I do lots of commenting here. I'm just not interested in posting songs.
Can you elaborate why you don't want to post songs in this thread. You seem to post plenty in the YouTube thread. No snark here on my part mate just intrigued.
The answer is pretty simple and for the same reason that I didn't evaluate Tom's picks*—the kind of stuff I'd offer wouldn't appeal to the vast majority, and I'm not going waste people's time, to make them listen and then write, "This just isn't for me." It's a legit opinion—I have no issue with anyone not sharing my interests—but I see no value in putting people in a position where they feel they're obligated to listen and evaluate something that does zilcho for them. The YouTube thread and the like is different because there's no expectation that someone will click on it let alone offer an opinion. They might and they might like or hate it enough to start a conversation, and that'd be super cool, but people aren't expected to do any of that.

* No disrespect to Tom intended whatsoever. He's a solid dude and he's more than earned his place as a respected member of our community, but nominating Phil Collins tells me I'm at the wrong party.
I'm pretty sure your taste would cross over with some other people's on here, other than Swans your musical taste seems quite normal-ish. And there's lots of fun to be had in seeing your choices to pulled to pieces. I wasn't offended at all when my Fleetwood Mac choice was torn to bits by the majority. It's all just a bit of fun at the end of the day, and a good way to find music that's new to you, and maybe turn others on to good stuff. But hey, it's your call, I wouldn't want you to do anything you wouldn't feel comfortable with unless it was dumping all your Swans records in the river.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 10:51am
Marky Dread wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 10:09am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 9:12am
revbob wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 9:11am
Locked and loaded. Im hoping for comments/review from Doc too, Ill be disappointed if I dont get any. Fuck the so called rule that if you dont post a list of 5 you cant comment.
Hey, I do lots of commenting here. I'm just not interested in posting songs.
Can you elaborate why you don't want to post songs in this thread. You seem to post plenty in the YouTube thread. No snark here on my part mate just intrigued.
The answer is pretty simple and for the same reason that I didn't evaluate Tom's picks*—the kind of stuff I'd offer wouldn't appeal to the vast majority, and I'm not going waste people's time, to make them listen and then write, "This just isn't for me." It's a legit opinion—I have no issue with anyone not sharing my interests—but I see no value in putting people in a position where they feel they're obligated to listen and evaluate something that does zilcho for them. The YouTube thread and the like is different because there's no expectation that someone will click on it let alone offer an opinion. They might and they might like or hate it enough to start a conversation, and that'd be super cool, but people aren't expected to do any of that.

* No disrespect to Tom intended whatsoever. He's a solid dude and he's more than earned his place as a respected member of our community, but nominating Phil Collins tells me I'm at the wrong party.
Okay all fair. But I was kinda hoping one of your picks might have brought up something I might not have heard before. Looks like it's back to Phil Collins then. :disshame: ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Yeah I would still very much like to see what Doc would offer because I have followed some of his leads and certainly enjoyed them, Swans included.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I was fascinated by peoples diverse and reasonable views on my songs. Real fun position to be in.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Paranoid Visions - Politician
Seems very inspired by old school punk. Really basic music, snotty lyrics, but it doesn’t want to beat you over the head like hardcore. If this showed up on one of those excellent comps of obscure early punk, I’d believe it was from ’78.

Ted Leo - Counting Down the Hours
I could have sworn I had something by Ted Leo. I thought maybe he was on a Wire cover record, but nope. And discogs doesn’t turn up any clues. So I knew who he was, but apparently I didn’t actually have anything of his. But this is genuinely toe-tapping stuff and I super dig that scratchy solo in the middle. It probably slots into that middle zone of enjoying it while it’s playing, but not enough to actively want to hear more.

Bellrays - Black Lightning
How often do you hear African Americans doing snotty garage punk? This stands out if only for that, but it’s also just sweaty fun. They needed to destroy the stage at the end—it seemed like that’s where it was heading.

Gogol Bordello - 60 Revolutions
Generally speaking, traditional music (folk, put crudely) doesn’t generate much enthusiasm in me. I can’t say why exactly—at heart I guess I’m a modernist rather than a traditionalist—but something just switches off in my brain. As this got going, I could feel the clutch go in and the gear disengaged.

Adjusters - Weatherman 97
I’d never call this ska, but then I’m not much of a ska fan. It’s an aggressive and earnest soul song, and it’s really compelling and propelling. Infectious energy.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Nice Doc, thanks. Ted Leo was in Chisel and ... I forget maybe they did a Wire song?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 2:35pm
Nice Doc, thanks. Ted Leo was in Chisel and ... I forget maybe they did a Wire song?
I looked on discogs and nope. And Chisel doesn't ring a bell. I would have bet one of Olaf's kidneys that he was on the Wire tribute album Whore or A Houseguest's Wish but nope. This is mildly annoying because it's strange that I immediately recognized the name and thought I knew the context, but nope, not at all.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Im bummed so far about GB's low showing but heartened by the other positive reviews.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 3:25pm
revbob wrote:
I looked on discogs and nope. And Chisel doesn't ring a bell. I would have bet one of Olaf's kidneys that he was on the Wire tribute album Whore or A Houseguest's Wish but nope. This is mildly annoying because it's strange that I immediately recognized the name and thought I knew the context, but nope, not at all.
Doc is it possible you know him from a Beatles tribute album called "This Bird Has Flown ? A 40th Anniversary Tribute to the Beatles' Rubber Soul" he covers "Looking Through You".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 4:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Doc is it possible you know him from a Beatles tribute album called "This Bird Has Flown ? A 40th Anniversary Tribute to the Beatles' Rubber Soul" he covers "Looking Through You".
Maybe? I think I've heard it once, but it didn't an impression on if so. I'm wondering now if someone included him on a mix tape back in the Floy Decade.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
Interesting rev that Ted Leo is a fan of Zounds the cd I uploaded for you.

By the way I've just bought the "Shake the Sheets" cd. :cool:
Attachments
SmartSelectImage_2020-09-21-21-24-48.png

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 4:28pm
revbob wrote:

You wont be disappointed its a solid album. Brutalist Bricks and Living with the Living are both solid as well.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Paranoid Visions - Politician
I like the riff in this one and the general song is quite good. Not so keen on the sneery vocal. Would have been a 7.5 with a good vocal but marking it down to 6/10.

Ted Leo - Counting Down the Hours
I really liked the intro to this, interesting chord changes. Then it kicked in with a great intro and verse, so far, so good. But then I thought the guitar solo was a bit unimaginative. Kind of redeemed itself after that but I thought the reggae section was a bit superfluous. With a better arrangement I would have given this an 8 but I'm going with a 7/10.

Bellrays - Black Lightning
I really dig this one. Great riff and energy. Kind of reminds me of The Cult a bit but with a better singer. I've got to admit I put the studio version on. When I'm doing this exercise I would rather just hear the studio version without any visuals. I just like to zone in on the music first. Will probably check out some more of these. 8/10

Gogol Bordello - 60 Revolutions
I'm with Marky here. Technically excellent but not a big fan of the song itself or the vocal. 4/10.

Adjusters - Weatherman 97
The start reminded me of a cop show I watched in the 70s, maybe Petrocelli or something. It's ok but probably a bit too slick for me. I get a bit of a Commitments vibe. If I imagine the Redskins playing it I like it a lot more. 6/10
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 4:32pm
Marky Dread wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 4:28pm
revbob wrote:

You wont be disappointed its a solid album. Brutalist Bricks and Living with the Living are both solid as well.
Yep I bought "TED LEO AND THE PHARMACISTS Living With The Living 15 TRACK PROMO CD + BONUS EP" also.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
He did an album with Aimee Mann under the name "The Both" - it was pleasant enough which is both praising and damning at the same time.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps