A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
02 May 2021, 8:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 May 2021, 7:15pm
revbob wrote:
02 May 2021, 7:07pm
Who's next?
Silent Majority and then, ugh, you.
Im gonna do all throat singers.

But from 1980 or newer so Heston can relate.
Pick stuff that reached the Top 40 so he has to accept that it's good.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Who's next?

It's always 1965 or newer with me. But nothing after 1984 and the year 1975 must be missed out.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
03 May 2021, 3:05am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Who's next?

It's always 1965 or newer with me. But nothing after 1984 and the year 1975 must be missed out.
So you're perfectly good with June 1971 then? Jesus Christ, be consistent!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Chaila - Denise Chaila.
We'll kick off with some Irish music. Funky, appealing, with a hell of a catchy beat and a tolerant, amused vocal and a subtle fuck you attitude.

Fixer Upper - Yard Act
A mood I've never heard expressed musically, the sound of a neighbour you hate, with no tolerance given for the guy's prejudice and accumulative bullshit. Hypnotic riffs, witty performance, an odd little earworm.

Laugh Laugh - The Beau Brummels
That broken hearted 60s pop thing with a strutting beat.

Stepping Razor - Peter Tosh
Love the tune, the melding of aggression and laid back. One to feel indestructible to.

Cod Liver Oil and the Orange Juice - Hamish Imlach
A funny Scottish folk singer who sings with soul. The storytelling is excellent. A track to put a smile on your face.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Silent Majority wrote:
03 May 2021, 10:41am
Chaila - Denise Chaila.
We'll kick off with some Irish music. Funky, appealing, with a hell of a catchy beat and a tolerant, amused vocal and a subtle fuck you attitude.

Fixer Upper - Yard Act
A mood I've never heard expressed musically, the sound of a neighbour you hate, with no tolerance given for the guy's prejudice and accumulative bullshit. Hypnotic riffs, witty performance, an odd little earworm.

Love the tune, the melding of aggression and laid back. One to feel indestructible to.

A funny Scottish folk singer who sings with soul. The storytelling is excellent. A track to put a smile on your face.
Hello,

For US/Canada(?)/North America(?) and anyone else who needs:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
Chaila - Denise Chaila.
I enjoyed this and Funky and catchy is a good description. Liked the attitude also. 7/10

Fixer Upper - Yard Act
Nagging has to be a good way of describing this. Played it through a couple of times and it gets better each time. 8/10

I've got this track and I dig this band. Yep nice 60s beat. 8/10

An old favourite of mine. I've posted this in the YouTube thread before. Great track and an inspiration to the early Ruts track "Stepping Bondage". 9/10

Funny stuff that puts me in mind of Ivor Cuttler. 7/10

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Cheers, Mark. One day I'll get a five entirely new to you!

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
03 May 2021, 11:29am
Cheers, Mark. One day I'll get a five entirely new to you!
:approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Denise Chaila, “Chaila”
Hypnotic, like a mantra, with a simple argument for respect. Really cool piece.

(Aside: I had a student in a seminar this year. Really smart and energetic Arabic young woman. Around halfway thru the term, she told me I was pronouncing her name wrong. I was mortified, and still am to think back on it. She said everyone does it—I assumed a short i, but it was long—but it’s still, however unintentional, an insult. I immediately wrote her name phonetically in my grade book to make sure I wouldn’t do it again.)

Yard Act, “Fixer Upper”
Addictive sound. The lyrics/delivery are neither here nor there for me, enough so that I’d love to hear someone try something else with the music.

The Beau Brummels, “Laugh Laugh”
Flintstones fans know this well.

Pleasant enough Beatlespawn. That’s another thing that was so cool about the Beatles, that their imitators generated plenty of decent tunes, however derivative.

Peter Tosh, “Stepping Razor”
I don’t get quite the aggressive vibe here, but that reggae beat just taps something primal in me. Completely relaxes all tension. If I were a dictator, I’d broadcast reggae 24/7 to break the rebels’ spirit.

Hamish Imlach, “Cod Liver Oil and the Orange Juice”
It transports you to a stereotypical British pub, with all the characters and action that your imagination can conjure. And this guy is in the corner, holding court and amusing all with his stories. Wonderful, wonderful.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Denise Chaila - good hypnotic beat, good track but sometimes the flow of the words don't match the flow of the music - but liked it. 7/10

Yard Act - decent beat and guitar but spoken story-telling vocals don't do it for me - singing would have made a difference for me. 6/10

The Beau Brummels - I always remember these guys as they supposedly picked their name so their records would be right next to the Beatles in record stores - decent track but nothing memorable. 5.5/10

Peter Tosh - this has got that great keyboard rhythm in many Tosh songs, this is among my top Peter Tosh songs. 9/10

Hamish Imlach - it's story-telling thus not for me at all (see Yard Act above), I can respect his craft and craftmanship but I simply don't care for his craft.

New stuff - great! Thanks!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 May 2021, 1:29pm
Denise Chaila, “Chaila”
Hypnotic, like a mantra, with a simple argument for respect. Really cool piece.

(Aside: I had a student in a seminar this year. Really smart and energetic Arabic young woman. Around halfway thru the term, she told me I was pronouncing her name wrong. I was mortified, and still am to think back on it. She said everyone does it—I assumed a short i, but it was long—but it’s still, however unintentional, an insult. I immediately wrote her name phonetically in my grade book to make sure I wouldn’t do it again.)

Yard Act, “Fixer Upper”
Addictive sound. The lyrics/delivery are neither here nor there for me, enough so that I’d love to hear someone try something else with the music.

The Beau Brummels, “Laugh Laugh”
Flintstones fans know this well.

Pleasant enough Beatlespawn. That’s another thing that was so cool about the Beatles, that their imitators generated plenty of decent tunes, however derivative.

Peter Tosh, “Stepping Razor”
I don’t get quite the aggressive vibe here, but that reggae beat just taps something primal in me. Completely relaxes all tension. If I were a dictator, I’d broadcast reggae 24/7 to break the rebels’ spirit.

Hamish Imlach, “Cod Liver Oil and the Orange Juice”
It transports you to a stereotypical British pub, with all the characters and action that your imagination can conjure. And this guy is in the corner, holding court and amusing all with his stories. Wonderful, wonderful.
Lovely, mate. Glad you found something to enjoy.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

gkbill wrote:
03 May 2021, 2:26pm
Hello,

Denise Chaila - good hypnotic beat, good track but sometimes the flow of the words don't match the flow of the music - but liked it. 7/10

Yard Act - decent beat and guitar but spoken story-telling vocals don't do it for me - singing would have made a difference for me. 6/10

The Beau Brummels - I always remember these guys as they supposedly picked their name so their records would be right next to the Beatles in record stores - decent track but nothing memorable. 5.5/10

Peter Tosh - this has got that great keyboard rhythm in many Tosh songs, this is among my top Peter Tosh songs. 9/10

Hamish Imlach - it's story-telling thus not for me at all (see Yard Act above), I can respect his craft and craftmanship but I simply don't care for his craft.

New stuff - great! Thanks!
Cool, gkBill, appreciate the perspective.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Silent Majority wrote:
Chaila - Denise Chaila.

Fixer Upper - Yard Act

I've always liked hearing Stepping Razor, I recall the Beau Brummels, but can't say I'm familiar with the others.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Denise Chaila
It reminds me, in spirit, of The Ting-TIngs "That's Not My Name" and I'm always happy to be reminded of that. I'm a big fan of songs that can do so much with just a repetitive beat. I like this one a lot.

Yard Act
Liked this one too... some funny lyrics going on there. If I was being hyper-critical I'd say the music was a little pedestrian and without the lyrics/delivery I probably wouldn't go back but it is elevated by the vocal and I do want to listen again. This one reminds me of some early-ish Sleaford Mods song called Graham

Beau Brummels
Inoffensive... one of those songs I'd expect to see on a 60s compilation between some better known Hermans Hermits and Manfred Mann songs. Nothing to dislike but there's a lot of competition out there if I want to listen to that type of music. Decent enough though.

Peter Tosh
What a song. I can't pretend to understand all the lyrics but I love the air of menace from the lyrics delivered so smoothly. At nearly 6 minutes, it never seems too long.

Hamish Imlach
Not bad... took me a few listens to get all the words and I think I have them. At first I wasn't sure what to make of them but once I realised it was a kind of parody of a song I think I know from my school days (in a Church of England school) it makes a bit more sense

edit - I didn't notice the last one had cut off. I tend to make notes as I'm listening and then form it into a couple of lines but had a browser crash and the 'restore my pages' didn't work 100%
Last edited by oliver on 06 May 2021, 1:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Chaila - Denise Chaila.
Very nice - great looping beat helps keep you in a groove and focus on the lyrics, which are worth a good focus on. Strong message and it wouldn't be out of place on a nice mix of beat-oriented music. On a side note, I didn't penalize the song for it or anything but the opening lines made me realize I'd probably rather than nobody every sing about our reference social media in music. Cranky old guy hangup, I suppose. 7/10

Fixer Upper - Yard Act
I've said this before on previous picks, but I'm pretty much a sucker for those talkin' songs - probably an influence of all the bob dylan listening and the general style having a brief moment during my college days. This is fun and funny stuff. "I'm not from around here but I am" is a great line, in particular. 8/10

A classic, obviously. Love me some Beau Brummels, it's great watching old televised performances of these bands. It's such a good way to enjoy this music. 9/10

This is obviously an all timer, I'm semi-ashamed (not really) to admit that my first encounter with this song was with the Sublime cover. But hey, that introduced me to Peter Tosh and much, much more way back when I was a young idiot in high school. Still love this song above so, so many. 10/10

I needed to do some translating on the lyrics to understand a few of the allusions, but really quite an amusing number. And love the style, obviously. 8/10

Great collection, maj. Bringing it with the sort of story-songs and then a few big 'ol classics in the mix.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!