A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

Post by revbob »

We're all slackers here.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Slime - Stortebeker
Has that very early 77 sound. I love the energy and feel. But my confession is that when it comes to music I am a language snob. Especially as I know a lot of this music carries a message and it's a message I'll not get as I'm too bloody lazy to learn other languages. Still liked it though. 8/10

Paranoid Visions - An Bhfuil Tu Sasta
Another solid tune and I dig it but again in English it would make me sit up and take note. 8/10

Anhrefn - Crafwr
I know these guys and saw them live many moons ago now. I have a track on a clash tribute lp. Great rousing punk rock. 9/10

Oi Polloi - Ar Ceòl's Ar Cànan
These guys have been around a long time. Are they still going. Again can't fault the tune. 8/10

Les Partisan - Radio Rebelle
This was the best of the lot and I know a little French. Great tune loved the horns. Very cool. 10/10
Last edited by Marky Dread on 23 Aug 2021, 7:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
23 Aug 2021, 7:54pm
We're all slackers here.
I'm not I'm too lazy to be a slacker.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Aug 2021, 7:57pm
revbob wrote:
23 Aug 2021, 7:54pm
We're all slackers here.
I'm not I'm too lazy to be a slacker.
Agreed that understanding the lyrics is important especially when songs tend to have a good message but like the people in other countries who learn some English and enjoy all the great bands that English speaking countries produce we should all endeavor to learn or at least be open to music from other countries/cultures.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Aug 2021, 7:56pm
Slime - Stortebeker
Has that very early 77 sound. I love the energy and feel. But my confession is that when it comes to music I am a language snob. Especially as I know a lot of this music carries a message and it's a message I'll not get as I'm too bloody lazy to learn other languages. Still liked it though. 8/10
When I first got this song, and even to this day when this song comes on I cant help but try and sing along as loud as I can. Sing it with me STORTEBEKER!!! something something something STORTEBEKER!!!!!

Also Im gearing up for my long awaited Noise Terror 5

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
23 Aug 2021, 8:11pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Slime - Stortebeker
When I first got this song, and even to this day when this song comes on I cant help but try and sing along as loud as I can. Sing it with me STORTEBEKER!!! something something something STORTEBEKER!!!!!

OK, curiosity got the better of me and I had to find this one and give it a listen. Other than Stortebeker, I can't make out anything he's singing either.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sparky wrote:
23 Aug 2021, 10:19pm
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Slime - Stortebeker

OK, curiosity got the better of me and I had to find this one and give it a listen. Other than Stortebeker, I can't make out anything he's singing either.
Yeah but you still want to sing along right?

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

revbob wrote:
23 Aug 2021, 10:51pm
Sparky wrote:
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Slime - Stortebeker

Hello,

This is Plastic Bertrand syndrome (blah, blah, blah...Ca Plane Por Moi - apologies to our French friends). I'd wager most here have suffered (enjoyed?) this syndrome for years.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
24 Aug 2021, 10:40am
revbob wrote:
Sparky wrote:
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Slime - Stortebeker

Hello,

This is Plastic Bertrand syndrome (blah, blah, blah...Ca Plane Por Moi - apologies to our French friends). I'd wager most here have suffered (enjoyed?) this syndrome for years.
"Ca Plane Pour Moi" gets a pass everytime for me. I've played that to death over the years. The tune is so stuck in my head.

Plus it's counterpart (same backing track) "Jet Boy, Jet Girl" is in English (Elton Motello/Captain Sensible & The Softies). Dodgy lyrics about a 15-year-old boy's sexual relationship with an older man, who then rejects him for a girl.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 Aug 2021, 10:49am
gkbill wrote:
24 Aug 2021, 10:40am
revbob wrote:
Sparky wrote:
revbob wrote:

Hello,

"Ca Plane Pour Moi" gets a pass everytime for me. I've played that to death over the years. The tune is so stuck in my head.

Plus it's counterpart (same backing track) "Jet Boy, Jet Girl" is in English (Elton Motello/Captain Sensible & The Softies). Dodgy lyrics about a 15-year-old boy's sexual relationship with an older man, who then rejects him for a girl.
Hello,

Understood regarding the overplay. Somehow, Jet Boy doesn't get me the same. I still go for Ca Plane Pour Moi...although I generally only hear it on commercials/ads.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Slime, “Stortebeker.” Basic non-hardcore punk. Fun and fast without being that kind hammer to the skull that hardcore became. The great Killed By Death series is filled with this kind of stuff, that other story of punk that doesn’t include any of the canonized bands. Anyway, this is like Mentos in a bottle of Coke.

Paranoid Visions, “An Bhfuil Tu Sasta.” I assume this about potatoes, whiskey, and the pope. I like the little squawks here and there that spice it up. Songs like this (and above) make me feel 16 again and discovering punk.

Anhrefn, “Crafwr.” I’m already running out of things to say. All these songs are in the same vein of the punk that blew me away when I was a teenager.

Oi Polloi, “Ar Ceòl's Ar Cànan.” This is straying into the oi terrace chants stuff that most bores me. Still there’s something in here—the guitar—that reminds me of Killing Joke, which is a good thing.

Les Partisan, “Radio Rebelle.” You’re not wrong that most Quebecois rock sucks donkey balls. Part of it, I think, is that the language flows too smoothly for rock, which benefits from a harsh, guttural inflection (German is almost certainly the perfect language for aggressive rock). But even beyond that, French rock always seems have a goofy carnivalesque feel to it, which this does, too. It’s like rock never got past 1958 in France, but also never got past the Hollywood version of it. So this feels way too slight.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Slime - this one grows on me (and, oof, just like that I'm back to jokes about band names) but joking aside, it really did. At first it sounded a little generic to my ears but after a couple of listens I was getting into it paying more attention. Definitely a grower.

Paranoid VIsions - got to love a song where the title dictates a snotty response from the "precocious" 14 year old version of me. And by "precocious" I mean "unbearable." See also - 'Do You Really Want to Hurt Me."
I guess my blathering on about nothing in particular is indicative of something and it's that this one doesn't do a whole lot for me. I like the guitar riff but the vocals weigh it down a bit rather than elevate it. It's decent enough though.

Anhrefn - no idea how to pronounce the band or the song... but I like it a lot. Probably my favourite of the lot. I love the guitar parts... gonna see what else I can find. I'm amazed they weren't more popular - seems like they would have been right up Melody Maker's street but it might be a little early for that.

Oi Polloi - big fan of call/response songs and this one is excellent. I love the way it bursts into life and then ever-so-slightly builds up even more into the main part.

Les Partisan - in general, I don't mind foreign language songs because sometimes it's nice to hear the sounds of the words - usually much more so in French/Spanish/Italian etc but this one sounds like they're trying to be angry but can't quite make it. Entirely the languages fault, not the singer.
I have a slight aversion to horns like this so that's a downer for me, otherwise I like it.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

oliver wrote:
27 Aug 2021, 7:17pm
Slime - this one grows on me (and, oof, just like that I'm back to jokes about band names) but joking aside, it really did. At first it sounded a little generic to my ears but after a couple of listens I was getting into it paying more attention. Definitely a grower.
Are you going around shouting the Stortebeker part as loud as possible? If not you probably haven't listened enough yet.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

revbob wrote:
28 Aug 2021, 12:50am
oliver wrote:
27 Aug 2021, 7:17pm
Are you going around shouting the Stortebeker part as loud as possible? If not you probably haven't listened enough yet.
I'm not far off... hopefully the urge will kick in when I'm mowing the lawn and it'll persuade the neighbours not to want to chat.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Attachments
The-Who-Whos-Next.jpg
The-Who-Whos-Next.jpg (61.67 KiB) Viewed 2030 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia