A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 7:15pm
Marky Dread wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 7:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 6:53pm
Marky Dread wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 6:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 6:35pm

We've almost got enough to launch a network: That Mr. Heston, Kory in the City, and Hey, It's Hoy.
🤣
How does Marky's Video Jukebox strike you? It doesn't pay anything and viewers are likely to complain all the time, but …
Sounds right up my alley. I'm sure my grouchy personality would win viewers over in no time.😉
We're all grouches here, so that's your demo.
Uhhh speak for yourself sir.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 8:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 6:45pm

🤣
How does Marky's Video Jukebox strike you? It doesn't pay anything and viewers are likely to complain all the time, but …
Sounds right up my alley. I'm sure my grouchy personality would win viewers over in no time.😉
Fine, some of us are Phish disciples. :rolleyes:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 8:41pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Leave Flex out of this.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 8:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 8:41pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Leave Flex out of this.
I've advocated suspending him indefinitely but can't get a goddamned quorum on the matter. Come on, people!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 9:02pm
revbob wrote:
Leave Flex out of this.
I've advocated suspending him indefinitely but can't get a goddamned quorum on the matter. Come on, people!
The people love me.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
13 Jul 2021, 2:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 9:02pm
revbob wrote:
Leave Flex out of this.
The people love me.
They don't know you.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Well, I guess gkbill is up tomorrow, tho no additional evaluations during the week-long extension. We sure we're still doin' this?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 7:20pm
Well, I guess gkbill is up tomorrow, tho no additional evaluations during the week-long extension. We sure we're still doin' this?
My assignment will be in this week, I promise. Let's march on like monster-heeled buffoons from the planet Jendell.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 7:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 7:20pm
My assignment will be in this week, I promise. Let's march on like monster-heeled buffoons from the planet Jendell.
Doc never liked this exercise and has been trying to kill it off from the get go.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I've just returned from a fun work trip. I had a list in my office but haven't been to my office in a while, but here goes anyway.

Here goes:

Cowbell - Tallulah. Bluesy duo stuff - enough said.

Sons of Kemet - The Castle of my Skin. Jazzy horns, rhythmic stuff.

Streetlight Manifesto - The Three of Us. You might call this the obligatory ska track but it's pretty good for a New Jersey band.

The Bobby Lees - damn, more punk stuff.

Unschooling - More is More. Devo's grandkids - but early Devo with guitars.

I hope these are new to people.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Oops.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

gkbill wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 9:31pm
Hello,

I've just returned from a fun work trip. I had a list in my office but haven't been to my office in a while, but here goes anyway.

Here goes:

Cowbell - Tallulah. Bluesy duo stuff - enough said.

Sons of Kemet - The Castle of my Skin. Jazzy horns, rhythmic stuff.

Streetlight Manifesto - The Three of Us. You might call this the obligatory ska track but it's pretty good for a New Jersey band.

The Bobby Lees - Drive. Damn, more punk stuff.

Unschooling - More is More. Devo's grandkids - but early Devo with guitars.

I hope these are new to people.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Cowbell - Tallulah.
Heavy driving blues, I dig it. 8/10

Sons of Kemet - The Castle of my Skin.
I liked this. Great jazzy rhythm but it was two minutes too long. It did all it needed in 3 mins. 7/10

Streetlight Manifesto - The Three of Us.
This is good but I would have preferred it to have been an Instrumental as it would've sounded more authentic. 7/10

The Bobby Lees - damn, more punk stuff.
Doesn't really grab me. They are trying much too hard to be quirky. 5/10

Unschooling - More is More.
Children of The Fall. Not bad. 7/10

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex

Post by Flex »

Okay, I'm catching up on the last... uhhhh... few months that I've missed. Here goes. revbob's last picks:

Sharon Jones - 100 Days, 100 Nights
Oh yeah, Sharon Jones is always a winner for me. Consistently great music, backed by Dap-Tone records great house band. That slowdown partyway through the song rules. I love the classic throwback look of the music video too. 10/10, as with almost any Sharon Jones tune.

Black Joe Lewis - Livin in the Jungle
Okay, I admit it: there was this annoying dude who used to come into the record store when I worked there and would not shut the fuck up about Black Joe Lewis when I worked there, and sort of out of spite I never really checked out the records. My loss, this is great funked out rock which feels both throwbacky and contemporary at the same time. Some great guitar licks and a good hook. 9/10

Kat Wright - By My Side
Kind of reminds me musically and aesthetically of Amy Winehouse - a great compliment, imho. Very nice vocal style. I can see how she could change it up live depending on the audience. Musically, some of this wouldn't sound out of place on one of Carl Wilson's blue eyed soul solo albums, although the vocals here are obviously center stage. 8/10

The Inciters - Me Myself and I
These Fives are sort of an exercise in mini-mix tape sequencing. This is a nice song, definitely solid 90s-era northern soul influenced stuff (which I've been on a bit of a kick on lately, so this is fitting). But coming right after the Kat Wright tune this one feels like a blast of energy, which is cool. 8/10

Ruby Velle and the Soulphonics - The Man Says
Yeah, you turned me onto Ruby Velle some time ago. Really strong vocal performance an tight backing band. Love it, like I love most of what I've heard from Ruby. 9/10

As expected, cream of the crop from rev.

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Okay, here's WestWayKid's last batch:

Duran Duran – Invisible
Sorry, I actually tried some years back to "get" Duran Duran but outside of some pretty good early work, these guys just don't do it for me at all. The best thing I can say about this is that it kinda reminds me of the so-bad-its-good experience that is Billy Idol's Cyberpunk. But at least that one got released on a floppy disk, as our robot overlords intended. Other good thing to say is they keep this to a sensible sub-3:30 length, which is a backhanded compliment but there's also something to appreciate about releasing honest-to-god singles still. Sorry to be mean right out the gates. 4/10

Tirzah – Send Me
This is repetitive in a good way. Sparse and haunting with some lovely vocal work and a bit of guitar noise at the end to keep you on your toes. 7/10

Jade Bird – Open up the Heavens
This is nice. I think I don't really care as much about 80s/90s jangle and power pop inspired guitar work as some folks here, but I like the drum work a lot on this and the singing is good. Touch of grit to the whole thing which I think gives it that garage vibe you mention. It passes a bit airly at the end of the day, but yeah, I'd welcome hearing this on the radio. 6/10

Genesis Owusu – Gold Chains
This is GREAT. Love the aural atmosphere created and the rhyming is really quite up my alley for such things. Good beats and musical affectations. Also, not for nothing, but the video shows some great style. 8/10

Cloud Nothings – The Spirit Of
Their little animated logo looks a little like the ICP clowns, lol. I like the pace here, keeping it going. As you note, it gets rougher as the song goes on. I sort of wish it was a little more brutal, as is my wont. But nice little touches here and there like the piano. Kinda reminds me of like the Swirlies or something which is good. Steve Albini does good work. 7/10

Thanks for these, WWK. Not all targeted right to me, but I really appreciate the chance to hear stuff outside my usual range and give it a shot.

Pex Lives!