A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 7:31pm
Sarah Shook - Nothin Feels Right but Doin Wrong
Yeah, I really dig this. I'm on the fifth listen through of all of the tracks and this chorus is really sticking. Some great tics and mannerisms on her vocals, giving it an original edge. Top work. 9/10

Looking forward to the noise terror picks.
I knew many of the euro contingent would know Imelda May and some would be familiar with Tammi Savoy and Jessica Lee Wilkes because I'd shared some albums with Marky and yourself respectively, maybe some others. I didn't expect such high marks for Sarah Shook, especially from you (no offense), but Im rather pleased. You and me are gonna be besties any day.

Now to work on that noise terror 5.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

GKB:

Head Hive - Liar, Liar
The only blues-rock band that I can really get into is Zep and maybe Clutch once in a while. This has a nice jump to it that I like though. Am I hearing correctly that the drums are a little on the right or are my speakers messed up? If so, that's interesting too. The singer vaguely reminds me of the guy from Catherine Wheel, so that's appealing too. I can't help feeling this song could have used a ripping solo, but no biggie. 7/10

Chisel - Hips Straight
Good energy, kinda lo-fi compared to my preference, but I think it works here. Catchy in a '90s way, which we all know is the best way. I like the more airy sections, they help to make the heavier sections weightier. 8/10

The Resignators - Off Beat Feeling
I don't have much to say about this other than I like it. Ska pals know. Slightly poppier than the 'Tones, but catchy. I wish they had shown the trombonist a bit more. 8/10

The Gentleman's Dub Club
Sounds a bit like Bounty Killer needing to clear his throat. I don't like the rockers rhythm as much as one drop or steppers, but this is ok. Could have used some more extreme dub. 6/10

The Three Johns - 3 Junk
This is good, if a little monotonous. I like the bass presence. There's a bit of Factory production style here, which I like. I'll check out more of their stuff. 6/10
Last edited by Kory on 07 Jan 2021, 7:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky:

No - Billy Nomates
This has a good mood, like the bass presence and the subtle synth stabs. Good restraint, I'd check out more of this. 8/10

Better Off Dead - Jennie & The Slingers
The vocalist sounds like they are struggling a bit, but the song is interesting. The production is really muddy, making the whole thing lose a lot of the dynamism I think it deserves. Could be better with some clarity. 6/10

Bionic Man - The Fabulous Poodles
This one sort of blew by me, there wasn't much to grab my ear, I'm afraid. It was ok, but nothing special to me.

Cars and Explosions - The Fans
Delightfully abrasive, though the chorus kind of lets it down by being smoother. I've never heard of these guys, I'm going to have to look into them. 7/10

Kitty Ricketts - The Radiators (From Space)
This is ok, not really my thing but I can see why people like stuff like this. I tend to prefer my European folk styles merged with 20th century classical music rather than rock.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
07 Jan 2021, 7:29pm
Delightfully abrasive, though the chorus kind of lets it down by being smoother. I've never heard of these guys, I'm going to have to look into them. 7/10
I went looking—they put out, like, three songs their entire career.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jan 2021, 7:37pm
Kory wrote:
Hey, that's all you need.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
07 Jan 2021, 7:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
In a romantic sense, this is true. I'm quite attracted to Jamie Reid's idea that the Sex Pistols should have just quit after (I think) "God Save the Queen." Mission accomplished, no more need be said. Anything else is careerism.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jan 2021, 8:05pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
In a romantic sense, this is true. I'm quite attracted to Jamie Reid's idea that the Sex Pistols should have just quit after (I think) "God Save the Queen." Mission accomplished, no more need be said. Anything else is careerism.
Devoto had the right idea.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
07 Jan 2021, 8:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jan 2021, 8:05pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Devoto had the right idea.
In some respects, Wire fucked it up by restarting in the 80s (and I say this as someone who ranks Send as his favourite Wire record). Art, like politics, is in the moment. Know when the moment has passed.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Hes:

Ezra Furman - Restless Year
I couldn't get too much into this, though I did like the middle 8. The chorus reminds me too much of that one song from the 80s I can't remember because I can only hum it and don't have any lyrics. 5/10

Flash and the Pan - Hey St Peter
This has some interesting chord changes in it, and I like the last note on the chorus but it was overall too sugary for me. It would probably have been a bigger hit, as you mention, if it ended at 1:55. That instrumental middle section is totally unnecessary. 5/10

Owen Gray - Shoop, Shimmy and Shake
This is good, great vocal. I like that ascending guitar part too. I'd like to hear this as a trad ska song, but this is hard to argue against. 9/10

The Maccabees - Pelican
I normally like stuff that has this many changes and quick turns, but there was something about it that sort of fought itself. I think it had an unconventional structure that was built with quite conventional elements. I'd be into checking more of these guys out to see if they continue their exploration in this way though. 7/10

The Wildhearts - Sick of Drugs
I don't know how anyone could get sick of drugs, but if they got off drugs to write this song, they should think about relapsing. I couldn't get into it, I'm afraid.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Maj:

We The People - Allen Toussaint
Really wish I could have found this the same way as you. Seattle isn't huge on dance but I do go once in a while. This is funky and the production is nice and warm. Hard to find anything to criticize. 10/10

We Live Here - Bob Vylan
I think I'd probably like this with less guitar, but I do like rap with English accents of all kinds. I'm just still traumatized by the early 2000s. Good energy, just too much rock style for me. I hope he made that Crass shirt instead of buying it. 6/10

Mistadobalina - Del tha Funky Homosapien
I just found out a line in Peep Show that always bugged me is a reference to either this song or The Monkees. It's all coming together. I don't listen to a lot of hip hop, though I have nothing against it at all, and even create it. For some reason it's just rare that I reach for it, but there are a lot of artists that I do like a lot, and Del is always cool when I hear him, especially with the classic funky sound on this beat. 8/10

Lydia the Tattooed Lady - the Dead Milkmen
The intro reminds me of the Pop Group. The rest of the song is well outside of my wheelhouse, I've never been a fan of most funny or silly sounding music so I'm afraid I don't have much to say about this one.

I WAnt to See the Bright Lights Tonight - Richard & Linda Thompson
Not really my thing, but I think it's served well by the production, and I can certainly relate to the lyrics. The brass is a nice touch. 6/10

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Rev:

Imelda May - Roadrunner
Yeah, it's good. When i was coming out of my last relationship, I was determined to date a rockabilly girl, but they only like big hairy gorillas so it was not to be. Still, I remember playing this artist in the record store and lusting after her. Great guitar solo, really wish they had a double bass instead of electric. May has a great voice for this stuff, expressive and melodic. 9/10

Tammi Savoy - When Your Lover Dont Love You
This is good too. I like how the languid verses shift into a more propulsive chorus. Very cool how the guitar solo kind of never ends as the song keeps building. Good power in the vocals. 9/10

Jessica Lee Wilkes - Groove's too Shallow
Oh man those drums sound like shit, that's a shame. There's something in the production here that's causing a kind of nauseous pulse, maybe something out of phase or a misused compressor. Aside from that, the song is fun, I'd like to hear more if it doesn't sound like a bubbling mud volcano. 5/10

Samantha Fish - Crow Jane
Just the right vocals for a song like this, although maybe a little less present than they deserve. Good plodding tempo and somewhat idiosyncratic guitar solo. That bari sax makes the mood just right. 8/10

Sarah Shook - Nothin Feels Right but Doin Wrong
You're on fire with me today man, the only real quibble I've had with any of these has been production related. I like this style, especially when it includes a pedal steel. Tiger Army has been known to hit this sweet spot for me once in a while, but not with quite the same authenticity. 9/10

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Damn much better reviews than I expected.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
08 Jan 2021, 9:55pm
How does it feel to fail. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Jan 2021, 5:10am
revbob wrote:
I'll try harder next time.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
09 Jan 2021, 8:18am
Marky Dread wrote:
09 Jan 2021, 5:10am
revbob wrote:
I'll try harder next time.
Good man. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia