A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
08 Jan 2021, 9:55pm
Damn much better reviews than I expected.
I suppose rockabilly is a genre that's hard to dislike. I'd have preferred more variation for hatred purposes.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
09 Jan 2021, 12:25pm
revbob wrote:
I suppose rockabilly is a genre that's hard to dislike. I'd have preferred more variation for hatred purposes.
I'm only picking pe '64 tracks next time. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Jan 2021, 1:34pm
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
I see Radio 2's Pick of the Pops has stopped featuring pre 1965 years. I was right all along.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
09 Jan 2021, 1:43pm
Marky Dread wrote:
09 Jan 2021, 1:34pm
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
I see Radio 2's Pick of the Pops has stopped featuring pre 1965 years. I was right all along.
Nope you really got me.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

So I've got a weird issue with stuff that completely rejects modernity. Like the last 60 years never happened, so I had a mixed time with this set and tried to not let that get away in my assessment of the actual music. It helped when I tried to ignore the actual videos. And I liked that you did a themed 5.
Imelda May - Roadrunner
I think others noted that the vocals are a bit weak relative to the others. The melody doesn't do much for me, but it's not bad and everything is well done and a good mix/arrangement. I like the old drummer too. 6/10

Tammi Savoy - When Your Lover Dont Love You
Really strong vocal and some great guitar on this. I kept waiting for Tammi to let loose a bit more vocally. She does a little at the end, but I wanted more to excite me. Another old drummer. At least I have a future. 6/10

Jessica Lee Wilkes - Groove's too Shallow
Young drummer playing matched grip. I didn't think that was allowed. Some good bite to the vocal. Serious clap track on this too. It's solid. 6/10

Samantha Fish - Crow Jane
This sounds like Ventilator Blues. But she's a much better singer than Jagger. Love the dirty slide guitar and the distorted vocal after. The horn section and mix is great. This moves me more than the others 7.5/10.

Sarah Shook - Nothin Feels Right but Doin Wrong
This somehow feels like less of an affectation than some of the other songs. The country influence is a welcome one that differentiates it too along with some of her vocal tics that I enjoy. 7/10
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
09 Jan 2021, 2:42pm
So I've got a weird issue with stuff that completely rejects modernity. Like the last 60 years never happened,
Reject Modernity

Embrace tradition

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
09 Jan 2021, 5:07pm
matedog wrote:
09 Jan 2021, 2:42pm
So I've got a weird issue with stuff that completely rejects modernity. Like the last 60 years never happened,
Reject Modernity

Embrace tradition

:huh:
I'm assuming this is pointing out some inconsistency with my point (which I full expect there to be), but I'm not following.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Imelda May - Roadrunner
Pretty sure you turned me onto Imelda May (and Tammi Savoy and Samantha Fish as well, at least). Wish this track was just a touch faster but love the sound of the bass drums here and some really nice guitar work. Also love the sudden "stop" at the end. May has a great. voice. 6.5/10

Tammi Savoy - When Your Lover Don’t Love You
Savoy is great. Love where her vocal range is - a touch of sultriness and a slight touch of gravel to go with her otherwise smooth delivery - and the slower speed here works. It's rockabilly, I suppose, but the slightly slower beat also brings to mind more 50s pop as well. Replace the guitar with a piano and this song could have ended up on a sinatra album or something (I mean that as a compliment). 7/10

Jessica Lee Wilkes - Groove's too Shallow
More contemporary that the other selections, the legendary shack shakers connection makes a lot of sense. This is definitely a post-cramps take on 'billy, in a great way. you and i gotta get together and get drunk listening to some JLW. Depending on where that happens, we an take in a rockies or lake monsters game after. 8/10

Samantha Fish - Crow Jane
I credit you with turning me onto Samantha Fish, but now I think I may have seen her at a free guitar festival that goes on in my area of every year some time back. Had no idea who she was then, bit it's really sticking in my brain that I saw her at one of those. Anyways, this is really how I like my electric blues: nice and swampy. Her voice is great on this one. 8/10

Sarah Shook - Nothin' Feels Right but Doin' Wrong
The aesthetic reminds me a bit of Hank 3, although she lands somewhere between 3's country and rock stuff (I mean, it's rockabilly after all). This one could have probably used a touch more variation in the guitar work or vocals. Anyways, still quite good. 6/10

Solid roundup of lady 'billy'ers there bob. I love this kinda shit.

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
09 Jan 2021, 5:12pm
I'm assuming this is pointing out some inconsistency with my point (which I full expect there to be), but I'm not following.
it's a reference to an internet meme: https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/reject-m ... -tradition

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Going back through the thread. Here's Maj's last one:

Allen Toussaint - We The People
I'm almost exclusively familiar with Toussaint through his collaborative work with Elvis Costello and then a few stray tracks here and there. This is right up my alley and I could see how it would just slay on a nice smoky, jukebox night. 7/10

Bob Vylan - We Live Here
More Flex-bait. Sometimes there's nothing better than some angry, inspired harsh punk rock. I'm a fan of polemics. 8/10

Del tha Dunky Homosapien - Mistadobalina
I've been a fan of Del, and this song, for years. Brilliant, all-time track. I remember I was at the Denver airport once and I swear to god the PA system asked for a bob Dobalina to report at wherever. Always wondered if it was a joke from the PA announcer or someone was using it as a pseudonym. 9.5/10

Dead Milkmen - Lydia the Tattooed Lady
It took me years to stop being super dismissive of the Dead Milkmen for their crime of dissing one of my fave hardcore bands, The F.U.'s, but they're a fun punkin' good time. Honestly, my biggest problem here is that I had to look up the song to remind myself of where it originated, but it made me chuckle. Dunno if this is one I'd toss into the library to put on shuffle or whatever, but it's clever and I'm always up for a good time. 6/10

Richard & Linda Thompson - I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight
This... is actually better than I was anticipating. I've heard some of Richard Thompson's solo work and it never really did much for me, and always heard good things about this album, but never checked it out. This is pretty fucking great though. Love the brass flourishes to go with Linda's vocals. 8/10

Great selections.

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Heston's last clutch of 5:

Ezra Furman - Restless Year
LOVE the vocals on this one and the beat is to die for. Not sure I love the clickety clackety shit going on during it or not (tho I do love the electronic beeping noise stuff), but that bass fucking rips it. This a real solid selection. Yeah, punk rock for sure. 8.5/10

Flash and the Pan - Hey St Peter
I was a bit skeptical in the opening moments but the chorus is really good. The verses go on a bit for my liking, but I enjoy the cutting piano work. Maybe trim the last 2 minutes or so off and it gets tight enough that I'll want to revisit it. 5.5/10

Owen Gray - Shoop, Shimmy and Shake
Now here's some stone cold grade A classic material. This'll put a spring in your step. Joyous vocal and in the middle of the song, love it. 9/10

The Maccabees - Pelican
I like a few bits of this, there's like a cool minute or so around the 1:50 mark I think and the song sounds cool around the 3:15 mark again for a bit. Don't really care for the vocals though and the whole doesn't really hold my attention. Pass. 4/10

The Wildhearts - Sick of Drugs
Once the guitar kicked off I realized I'd at least heard this at some point in my life before but certainly never listened with any purpose. Great big power pop with a bit of an edge, this is real classic sounding, good stuff. 8/10

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Marky's last 5 bunch:

Billy Nomates - No
Ummm... I feel like I should listen to this late at night with a nice whiskey (or some weed) to really dig this. A nice spacey vibe but I dunno if I'm in the right headspace for this at this moment in time. Can't knock what the song is doing though, it's more me. I'll keep this one on the shelf to listen to again in a different environment. 6/10

Jennie & The Slingers - Better Off Dead
I like the component pieces of all of this - it's all rather right on - but nothing quite leaps out as truly memorable to me. There isn't a hook or beat or vocal bit or whatever that's really worming its way into my head. Still, I'll probably check out more material from J&tS. 6.5/10

The Fabulous Poodles - Bionic Man
First of all, fantastic band name. This song feels like it just kind of propels along, sinking into your skull more and more as the seconds tick by. Yeah, I really like this one. Totally sold on it by the end. And, obviously, I'm always a sucker for mechano-men of the future. 7.5/10

The Fans - Cars and Explosions
There's a twitchiness to this that I quite like. Feels a bit fragmented and jittery, in really good ways. 7/10

The Radiators (From Space) - Kitty Ricketts
Brecht is a good callout here, and I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff. Bands like DeVotcka and the Dresden Dolls can probably draw a direct line from this song to their own stuff. Love it. 9/10

Pex Lives!

Heston

Post by Heston »

The more I've heard the Fabulous Poodles song, the more I totally love it. Gonna have to check out more of this band.

Ps. Thanks for the belated review Flex, you weren't as hard on me as I was expecting.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
09 Jan 2021, 6:47pm
The more I've heard the Fabulous Poodles song, the more I totally love it. Gonna have to check out more of this band.

Ps. Thanks for the belated review Flex, you weren't as hard on me as I was expecting.
You picked some good stuff.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
09 Jan 2021, 5:29pm
matedog wrote:
09 Jan 2021, 5:12pm
it's a reference to an internet meme: https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/reject-m ... -tradition
I thought I was up on the meme hotness, but clearly not. I like this one.