How confident are you? (Simonon content)

General music discussion.
speakeasy
Corner Soul

How confident are you? (Simonon content)

Post by speakeasy »

How confident are you that Paul Simonon plays the bass (without post production punch in) on the From Here to Eternity version of (White Man) in Hammersmith Palais? Curious to hear your thoughts. In any case, that is some fine dub reggae bass playing through out. I've had just two beers while the wife is showering upstairs, but I'm getting down hard to that bass. One of the greatest rock songs of all time. But you know that.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: How confident are you? (Simonon content)

Post by Heston »

speakeasy wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 12:19am
How confident are you that Paul Simonon plays the bass (without post production punch in) on the From Here to Eternity version of (White Man) in Hammersmith Palais? Curious to hear your thoughts. In any case, that is some fine dub reggae bass playing through out. I've had just two beers while the wife is showering upstairs, but I'm getting down hard to that bass. One of the greatest rock songs of all time. But you know that.
Listen to any live show from 1982, his actual playing is fine. He sometimes suffered from a farty sound but that was probably the feed to the desk.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 2:56am
speakeasy wrote:
Listen to any live show from 1982, his actual playing is fine. He sometimes suffered from a farty sound but that was probably the feed to the desk.
Yeah that farty sound reeks of a DI box. I'm not sure what the implication is here though, that somebody else was onstage playing bass?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 1:43am
Heston wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 2:56am
speakeasy wrote:
Yeah that farty sound reeks of a DI box. I'm not sure what the implication is here though, that somebody else was onstage playing bass?
I think the implication was that someone (Mick?) overdubbed it in the studio sometime between 1982 and 1999. As far as I know, just the Rude Boy tracks have overdubs and are actually largely studio creations, though you and Heston have a far better ear for Paul's bass playing.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

speakeasy
Corner Soul

Post by speakeasy »

Yea--I really wanted to give credit to Paul playing that bass part. It's so groovy. And then part of me did wonder--is there a chance that Mick (or someone) overdubbed this at a later date? I meant to post it on the Clash discussion area, but you know...beer.

Heston

Post by Heston »

speakeasy wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 11:45am
Yea--I really wanted to give credit to Paul playing that bass part. It's so groovy. And then part of me did wonder--is there a chance that Mick (or someone) overdubbed this at a later date? I meant to post it on the Clash discussion area, but you know...beer.
Quite a few 1982 gigs on YouTube where his bass sounds exactly the same. I've just did a side by side comparison with a couple of gigs and the playing is identical.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 11:59am
speakeasy wrote:
Quite a few 1982 gigs on YouTube where his bass sounds exactly the same. I've just did a side by side comparison with a couple of gigs and the playing is identical.
He was playing a lot of fingerstyle at this time, which could certainly account for a rounder tone. I haven't listened to this track in forever but I'll give it a go today.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 1:50pm
Heston wrote:
speakeasy wrote:
He was playing a lot of fingerstyle at this time, which could certainly account for a rounder tone. I haven't listened to this track in forever but I'll give it a go today.
Do you mean not using a pick?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Not helpful but I've just had FHTE on the last hour and it's been such a fucking joy.

Heston

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 5:12pm
Not helpful but I've just had FHTE on the last hour and it's been such a fucking joy.
It is great. Due a spin.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 1:54pm
Kory wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 1:50pm
Heston wrote:
speakeasy wrote:
Do you mean not using a pick?
Yeah. Although he plays thumbstyle these days. He's a constantly developing bassist.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

To answer the original question: I’m not particularly confident. Very awkward.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Yep I know 100% fact that Paul plays a bass. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 4:31am
Yep I know 100% fact that Paul plays a bass. ;)
Hello,

Plays or wears?

(Sorry, Paul that was cruel - but easy!)