Bones Hillman / Midnight Oil

General music discussion.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Bones Hillman / Midnight Oil

Post by WestwayKid »

Just saw that Midnight Oil bassist Bones Hillman passes away following a battle with cancer.

Midnight Oil are one of my favorite bands.

I first discovered them (thank you, MTV) in the early 90’s...not that long after I really got into The Clash. For me, there were clear parallels between both bands in the way they fearlessly used hard hitting music to question why things are the way they are.

Both bands played a key role in my awakening as a global citizen and as a human being, helping this suburban kid see beyond the his suburban hometown.

If anything, the Oils played a bigger role because they were still an active band. They were still out there agitating and interrupting.

An absolutely ferocious live band. I was lucky enough to catch them on their last tour before their extended hiatus.

I know I’m not alone here in saying that music is more to me than something to listen to. It’s an important part of who I am as a person and there will always be bands and musicians who really strike a chord (pun intended). Midnight Oil will forever be one of those bands.

Rest easy, Mr. Hillman. Your bass lines struck with the power of thunder.

SIDE NOTE: his obit stated that he was living in my hometown of Milwaukee when he passed away. Crazy that I was sharing a city with a member of one of my favorite bands.
Last edited by WestwayKid on 11 Nov 2020, 11:06am, edited 1 time in total.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: Bones Hillman / Midnight Oil

Post by Wolter »

That sucks. I don’t often listen to MO, but I always enjoy when I do. RIP.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

They had just released their first album in 18 years on October 30th. The album is a collaboration with indigenous artists and First Nations people and thematically tackles the complex (and troubled) relationship between indigenous Australians and white Australians. The album hit #1 in Australia (their first since 1990's Blue Sky Mining) the day Bones passed away.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Sad news. Really good bassist. Fine band.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

Sad to hear. Not sure how many better live bands there have been than these guys.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
11 Nov 2020, 11:20am
They had just released their first album in 18 years on October 30th. The album is a collaboration with indigenous artists and First Nations people and thematically tackles the complex (and troubled) relationship between indigenous Australians and white Australians. The album hit #1 in Australia (their first since 1990's Blue Sky Mining) the day Bones passed away.
I've got a copy of this coming in the mail probably today. Excellent band and very sad news. I'm glad I was able to see them on their reunion tour a couple years ago.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc