Re: Video Killed the Radio Star - The Classic Synth Pop & New Wave Thread

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 3:31pm
tepista wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 3:26pm
Sparky wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 3:21pm
OK, many years ago, right out of high school, I used to work in a record store along with David Diamond, keyboardist for Berlin. Their music wasn't my thing, but he was a really nice guy to work with. I think these were a couple of their big hits back in the 80's.

htps://youtu.be/V_l7J7aabts

htps://youtu.be/Bx51eegLTY8
They have one song that I love

This is the one I remember, tho entirely for the video, which always seemed to be played on Friday Night Videos.
I always as a fan of The Metro.

Absolutely detested the song from Top Gun.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

The Metro and Masquerade were not bad. But the other two posted are completely meh.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

laxman wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 7:59am
WestwayKid wrote:
04 Dec 2020, 6:01pm
BitterTom wrote:
04 Dec 2020, 5:03pm
WestwayKid wrote:
04 Dec 2020, 1:08pm
My uncle died in 1985 when I was 8. I don't have that many memories of him, but after he died my mom ended up with a bunch of his cassettes. They ended up sitting in a box on a shelf because while she didn't want to get rid of them, they weren't things she listened to. That box became a treasure trove for me as a young kid: Talking Heads, Wire, Nick Lowe and more. One of the albums that really caught my ear was Songs From the Big Chair. I listened to it over and over again. I listened until the tape wore out and broke and then I attempted to splice it back together (with mixed results).

Tears_for_Fears_Songs_from_the_Big_Chair.jpg

Head over Heals is my fave track on the album. It's such a gorgeous song. Ian Stanley's synth lines particularly stand out.
Got the album on now, totally agree with Head Over Heels, great track and yep that synth works its magic nicely. I really like Broken, nice rhythm and feel, simply a solid track. EWTRTW though is still my favourite, near perfect for me, the build ups are epic, as is the chorus and the middle 8 is fucking spot on.
It's one of those albums I never get tired of listening to. I agree with your take on EWTRTW. The final track, Listen, is underrated.
I would definitely recommend the SDE box set, if you like that sort of thing.
The SDE is great. There definitely is a ton of extra stuff to listen to. I wish they would do one for The Hurting. I have the anniversary edition, which adds a 2nd disc of singles and b-sides.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

WestwayKid wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 11:02am
laxman wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
04 Dec 2020, 1:08pm
My uncle died in 1985 when I was 8. I don't have that many memories of him, but after he died my mom ended up with a bunch of his cassettes. They ended up sitting in a box on a shelf because while she didn't want to get rid of them, they weren't things she listened to. That box became a treasure trove for me as a young kid: Talking Heads, Wire, Nick Lowe and more. One of the albums that really caught my ear was Songs From the Big Chair. I listened to it over and over again. I listened until the tape wore out and broke and then I attempted to splice it back together (with mixed results).

Tears_for_Fears_Songs_from_the_Big_Chair.jpg

Head over Heals is my fave track on the album. It's such a gorgeous song. Ian Stanley's synth lines particularly stand out.
Got the album on now, totally agree with Head Over Heels, great track and yep that synth works its magic nicely. I really like Broken, nice rhythm and feel, simply a solid track. EWTRTW though is still my favourite, near perfect for me, the build ups are epic, as is the chorus and the middle 8 is fucking spot on.
It's one of those albums I never get tired of listening to. I agree with your take on EWTRTW. The final track, Listen, is underrated.
The SDE is great. There definitely is a ton of extra stuff to listen to. I wish they would do one for The Hurting. I have the anniversary edition, which adds a 2nd disc of singles and b-sides.
They did. It was a few years ago and is very expensive to try to get hold of now, unfortunately.

https://www.discogs.com/Tears-For-Fears ... se/5014648

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

laxman wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 12:22pm
WestwayKid wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 11:02am
laxman wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

They did. It was a few years ago and is very expensive to try to get hold of now, unfortunately.

https://www.discogs.com/Tears-For-Fears ... se/5014648
Wow, I see that!? $500 on Amazon right now.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Wolter wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 3:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 3:31pm
tepista wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 3:26pm
Sparky wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 3:21pm
OK, many years ago, right out of high school, I used to work in a record store along with David Diamond, keyboardist for Berlin. Their music wasn't my thing, but he was a really nice guy to work with. I think these were a couple of their big hits back in the 80's.

htps://youtu.be/V_l7J7aabts

htps://youtu.be/Bx51eegLTY8
They have one song that I love

This is the one I remember, tho entirely for the video, which always seemed to be played on Friday Night Videos.
I always as a fan of The Metro.

Absolutely detested the song from Top Gun.
Same. I LOVE The Metro. It just screams Cold War to me. The lead singer dated famed new wave DJ Richard Blade for a long time and No More Words is about him. I also love Masquerade.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy