Opinions on More Than a Feeling by Boston (poll)

General music discussion.

How much do you like it?

Brilliant, should be the American National Anthem
27%
Excellent
12%
Good
27%
Average
19%
Poor
4%
A disgrace to music
12%

Total votes: 26

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Opinions on More Than a Feeling by Boston (poll)

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jan 2021, 8:42pm
Heston wrote:
29 Jan 2021, 8:04pm
it's fair to say the guy tears apart Doc's argument that the song is humdrum in parts.
Yet I'm bored as hell during most of it. Explain that, Dr. Heston, if that's really your name.
Your brain is wired differently to large parts of the population, the ones who like great melodies and arrangements. Same with "Noise Terror" Rev. Not a criticism, it's just a fact that people hear music differently. Swans are like Chinese water torture to me but there must be a market for it as they have a career.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
29 Jan 2021, 8:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
it's fair to say the guy tears apart Doc's argument that the song is humdrum in parts.
Yet I'm bored as hell during most of it. Explain that, Dr. Heston, if that's really your name.
Your brain is wired differently to large parts of the population, the ones who like great melodies and arrangements. Same with "Noise Terror" Rev. Not a criticism, it's just a fact that people hear music differently. Swans are like Chinese water torture to me but there must be a market for it as they have a career.
Which would suggest that this guy isn't tearing apart any argument, but rather advocating for the song. I mean, I agree with you most of the way here, tho I certainly love melody. I just think the verse part of the song and the instrumental break are tedious as fuck. But, as Wolter said on the previous page, it has to do with your tolerance for arena rock, which I mostly find appalling.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
29 Jan 2021, 7:13pm
Probably mostly of interest to Heston, but this guy does good breakdowns of songs where he isolated a lot of the instrumentation and highlights a lot of the nuances in recordings. Here's his on More Than a Feeling:
I'm watching some of his other videos in the series, he is great. A lot of muso shit but he's very knowledgable and his enthusiasm is contagious.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jan 2021, 9:06pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Which would suggest that this guy isn't tearing apart any argument, but rather advocating for the song. I mean, I agree with you most of the way here, tho I certainly love melody. I just think the verse part of the song and the instrumental break are tedious as fuck. But, as Wolter said on the previous page, it has to do with your tolerance for arena rock, which I mostly find appalling.
The fly in the ointment here is that I don't like Arena Rock.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
29 Jan 2021, 9:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jan 2021, 9:06pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
The fly in the ointment here is that I don't like Arena Rock.
I am confident in saying you like it a whoooooole lot more than me. Not to say I'm better than you in that—whatever I say in our snarling and yapping, I'm fully relativist in terms of music; what you like, you like, and that's cool—but 95% of arena rock is the wettest of farts that privileges muso technique over true energy.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
29 Jan 2021, 9:07pm
matedog wrote:
Probably mostly of interest to Heston, but this guy does good breakdowns of songs where he isolated a lot of the instrumentation and highlights a lot of the nuances in recordings. Here's his on More Than a Feeling:
I'm watching some of his other videos in the series, he is great. A lot of muso shit but he's very knowledgable and his enthusiasm is contagious.
Yeah the enthusiasm paired with his deep theory knowledge is a great combo. One of the more revelatory ones was Smells Like Teen Spirit where he dives into the probably accidental complexity of the chorus melody. I wonder if he ever tackled Paranoid...
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
29 Jan 2021, 9:34pm
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Yeah the enthusiasm paired with his deep theory knowledge is a great combo. One of the more revelatory ones was Smells Like Teen Spirit where he dives into the probably accidental complexity of the chorus melody. I wonder if he ever tackled Paranoid...
I'll watch out for that one. I've done three so far. I realised I'd watched his XTC one before, I thought he looked familiar.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Also, I never registered the fact they had a blank (no vocals) chorus before every normal chorus in this song before watching this. A really effective trick that you don't hear very often.

JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JoseUnidos »

I voted National Anthem, because America should get what it deserves.
In space no one can hear you clash!
https://www.rmillerthings.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JoseUnidos wrote:
29 Jan 2021, 10:26pm
I very much like the “May you live in interesting times” open-ended nature of your assertion.

JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JoseUnidos »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jan 2021, 10:35pm
JoseUnidos wrote:
29 Jan 2021, 10:26pm
I very much like the “May you live in interesting times” open-ended nature of your assertion.
On a related note, the song is perfect for what it is.
In space no one can hear you clash!
https://www.rmillerthings.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
29 Jan 2021, 10:02pm
matedog wrote:
29 Jan 2021, 9:34pm
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
I'll watch out for that one. I've done three so far. I realised I'd watched his XTC one before, I thought he looked familiar.
Interesting video. I'll try a different song with him.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston

Post by Heston »

Incredible vocal. If you like the song it's worth listening to in isolation.

Heston

Post by Heston »

This stripped back mix really highlights how great the vocal is in this song. Just an incredible piece of singing by Brad Delp...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
04 Feb 2021, 7:12pm
This stripped back mix really highlights how great the vocal is in this song. Just an incredible piece of singing by Brad Delp...

You're just taunting me at this point that I can't change my vote to average. :angry: