revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: The New Ska Thread

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
07 May 2021, 7:36pm
Kory wrote:
07 May 2021, 6:00pm
All this reminds me of is that I made a thread for this topic with the perfect crossover name for this board. I hate you all.
Hello,

I apologize as this isn't new ska - you're correct. We actually need a ska-at-large thread. Does one exist?
This is "New" as in not the old one Kory made that everyone forgot about

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Heston wrote:
06 May 2021, 6:33pm
I'm more of a fan of traditional and Two Tone Ska but I fucking love this song. I can't remember who put me on to it on here but thank you. Joyous video as well.

No one commented how great this was, which makes me think you are all not really fans of new ska. Cos it's much better than the Mighty Bosstones.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
07 May 2021, 8:00pm
Heston wrote:
I'm more of a fan of traditional and Two Tone Ska but I fucking love this song. I can't remember who put me on to it on here but thank you. Joyous video as well.

No one commented how great this was, which makes me think you are all not really fans of new ska. Cos it's much better than the Mighty Bosstones.
Im pretty sure I commented the first time gkbill posted it. Love it.

FarawayTowns
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by FarawayTowns »

UK ska take on lockdown.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
07 May 2021, 8:08pm
Heston wrote:
Heston wrote:

Ok, I forgive you. but why is no one else realising how great it is? The only answer is I'm deluded. Which may be true but I think it's fantastic.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
07 May 2021, 8:26pm
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
Heston wrote:

Ok, I forgive you. but why is no one else realising how great it is? The only answer is I'm deluded. Which may be true but I think it's fantastic.
Both are true.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

revbob wrote:
07 May 2021, 5:05pm
I want TMMB to put out a TMMB record. Im not expecting innovation and shit. They fill a slot and I enjoy it.
Yes but there’s no denying that they’ve watered down their sound quite a bit since the reunion. Not much true punk/Ska-Core influence left. Call it maturity, whatever you want. I don’t hold a grudge against the guys. I understand they’re all older now and that run from 89-2002 was one incredible Ska Core record after another. Pin Points and Gin Joints was much more classic ska based but still had some balls to it.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I just listened to the full Mighty Mighty Bosstones album and it's good but not as energetic as some previous albums. I don't agree with the sweeping nature of RockNRollWhore's statement - it's correct but I just think they evolved to an extent. I think this one's more contemplative. There's no denying that The Final Parade, the final track, is an all-star ensemble that pulls it off (often these kinds of tracks don't live up to expectations). I'll give the Resignators a spin tomorrow's workout.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

revbob wrote:
07 May 2021, 9:12pm
Heston wrote:
07 May 2021, 8:26pm
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
Heston wrote:

Both are true.
I never listened to this in the first place. It’s damn good.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

gkbill wrote:
Kory wrote:
All this reminds me of is that I made a thread for this topic with the perfect crossover name for this board. I hate you all.
Hello,

I apologize as this isn't new ska - you're correct. We actually need a ska-at-large thread. Does one exist?
https://clashcity.com/boards/viewtopic. ... 8&start=75

AND it has twice as many pages as this one.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
08 May 2021, 2:20pm
gkbill wrote:
Kory wrote:
Hello,

https://clashcity.com/boards/viewtopic. ... 8&start=75

AND it has twice as many pages as this one.
Ok now I remember we need to merge them.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Heston wrote:

/watch?v=dNbj-5Xecg4&list=PL6ggjMklzIx2cJrZOJZBWTCuYhHZ22T8x&index=76&ab_channel=theresignators
Yeah man, this is really good. I like high octane guitar with my ska.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

On the new Bosstones album, which I had a chance to listen to over the weekend, I'd probably rank it as the second best of their post-reformation albums (after The Magic of Youth, which I still think is a killer from start to finish). Yeah, they're not playing shredding hardcore infused ska-core like they did in the early years but it's not 1989 or 1993 anymore so I'm fine with that. Usually trying to stay hard and tough just ends up embarrassing you as you get older. Not everyone can be a Rollins or a Jack Kelly. I appreciate that Dicky and the boys seem to have come out on the other side of their mainstream success a bit wiser and more mature for having gone down the road. I feel like I've sort of grown up with the band a bit (despite them being a solid 20+ years older than me).

Musically, I appreciate little touches like having the Doped Up Dollies backing the Tones on The Killing of Georgie (Part III) and such. If anything, a couple of the more straight ahead rockers come off a little blander in these latter day records.

I'll say this: the singles are well picked and represent some pretty strong cuts on the album. I'd also venture to say the album gets stronger as it goes on. Outside of the title track, I Don't Believe in Anything, Killing of Georgie (Part III) and the massive The Final Parade, I think Lonely Boy is the big winner for me so far. Bit of a new sound from the 'Tones on that one, although it comes closest is sound to another favorite of mine, Everybody's Better.

A bunch of these songs are really gonna cook live.
Last edited by Flex on 11 May 2021, 3:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Flex wrote:
10 May 2021, 5:21pm
Heston wrote:

/watch?v=dNbj-5Xecg4&list=PL6ggjMklzIx2cJrZOJZBWTCuYhHZ22T8x&index=76&ab_channel=theresignators
Yeah man, this is really good. I like high octane guitar with my ska.
Apparently, I already came across this band because I looked at their discogs and I'd already added all their albums to my wantlist at some point, lol

Pex Lives!