50%

Total votes: 12

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: Who Won the Breakup?

Post by Wolter »

Wolter wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 9:05pm
The correct answer is that the listeners did.
To elaborate: the world is a better place with Magazine and the Shelley Buzzcocks in it, and it’s a better place with Television, The Heartbreakers, and the Voidoids in it. I think everyone won.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
13 Mar 2021, 3:47pm
Wolter wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 9:05pm
The correct answer is that the listeners did.
To elaborate: the world is a better place with Magazine and the Shelley Buzzcocks in it, and it’s a better place with Television, The Heartbreakers, and the Voidoids in it. I think everyone won.
This is true %100.

The question should've been which band was best. Both are brilliant but maybe people have a preference.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Reluctantly decided to vote Voidoids. blank Generation and marquee moon are both equally titanic, but i guess I rate destiny street better than just about anything else television did
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
13 Mar 2021, 4:44pm
Reluctantly decided to vote Voidoids. blank Generation and marquee moon are both equally titanic, but i guess I rate destiny street better than just about anything else television did
This is how I feel. The new remastered Destiny Street is epic.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Sparky wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 8:30pm
Kory wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 8:18pm
Sparky wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 6:32pm
WestwayKid wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 5:01pm
The Heartbreakers ... ;)
Voted for the Voidoids, but if the Heartbreakers were added to the pole, my vote would have gone to them.
Did they have any members in common? I don't recall anything about that.
I believe Richard Hell left Television, joined Johnny Thunders to help form the Heartbreakers, left them to form the Voidoids.
Yup. Richard jumped around a little bit back then.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Did Richard Hell ever get a UK diss track? You know, like Television got on Idiot Box by the Damned? Or New York by the Pistols? I feel like Lydon would’ve had a huge defensive chip on his shoulders because of the accusation floating around that he stole his fashion from Hell, but I don’t remember a specific call out.

For the record, much like I think punk was a scene that was bound to develop independently in any economically depressed arty area in the 70s (based on strands of both reaction and elaboration on themes developed in the 60s), I think the ripped clothing look was too, so I don’t know if it was “stolen” from anyone.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 1:54pm
Did Richard Hell ever get a UK diss track? You know, like Television got on Idiot Box by the Damned? Or New York by the Pistols? I feel like Lydon would’ve had a huge defensive chip on his shoulders because of the accusation floating around that he stole his fashion from Hell, but I don’t remember a specific call out.

For the record, much like I think punk was a scene that was bound to develop independently in any economically depressed arty area in the 70s (based on strands of both reaction and elaboration on themes developed in the 60s), I think the ripped clothing look was too, so I don’t know if it was “stolen” from anyone.
No is the answer. When Richard played London Lydon got up on the stage and got the crowd to get him back for an encore. He (Lydon) had a lot of Respect for Hell.

The second part of your post is spot on. A lot has been made about Hell having his image ripped off mainly by the punk historians. But it's simply not backed up by any facts. Lydon had short green hair in late '75. Lydon really owes his ripped up image to poverty and as inspiration of wearing thrift shop clothes that goes to Ian Dury.

The only inspiration that Hell had on the Pistols was Malcolm bringing back a flyer for Blank Generation and glen using the title for inspiration for Pretty Vacant.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Interesting that Hell played Blank Generation with Television, The Heartbreakers and with The Voidoids. A much misinterpreted song also. The "Blank" in the title is meant to be a blank space for the listener to insert his own word.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 2:04pm
Wolter wrote:

No is the answer. When Richard played London Lydon got up on the stage and got the crowd to get him back for an encore. He (Lydon) had a lot of Respect for Hell.

The second part of your post is spot on. A lot has been made about Hell having his image ripped off mainly by the punk historians. But it's simply not backed up by any facts. Lydon had short green hair in late '75. Lydon really owes his ripped up image to poverty and as inspiration of wearing thrift shop clothes that goes to Ian Dury.

The only inspiration that Hell had on the Pistols was Malcolm bringing back a flyer for Blank Generation and glen using the title for inspiration for Pretty Vacant.
Honestly, had punk never existed, my poor ass would’ve still mostly worn ripped, secondhand clothes throughout my teens and twenties. Probably held together by safety pins because I was no good with sewing and repairing.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 2:37pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Wolter wrote:

Honestly, had punk never existed, my poor ass would’ve still mostly worn ripped, secondhand clothes throughout my teens and twenties. Probably held together by safety pins because I was no good with sewing and repairing.
Yeah I mean "punk image" is a bit of a joke when you look at the early bands just making do with what was around that looked a bit different to the then 70s bands. It became an orchestrated look later on. I guess if you look at Rancid for an example (not a put down/a fine band) but they are a classic case of buying into the punk uniform.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 2:45pm
Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Wolter wrote:

Yeah I mean "punk image" is a bit of a joke when you look at the early bands just making do with what was around that looked a bit different to the then 70s bands. It became an orchestrated look later on. I guess if you look at Rancid for an example (not a put down/a fine band) but they are a classic case of buying into the punk uniform.
Honestly, as a broke teen in the early 90s I couldn’t afford to look like Rancid, et al. But I could afford to look like most 70s punks.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 2:46pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Wolter wrote:

Honestly, as a broke teen in the early 90s I couldn’t afford to look like Rancid, et al. But I could afford to look like most 70s punks.
Yeah The Replacements were punk enough. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 3:05pm
Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Paul Westerberg definitely looked like everyone I grew up around in the 80s.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 4:33pm
Marky Dread wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 3:05pm
Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Wolter wrote:

Paul Westerberg definitely looked like everyone I grew up around in the 80s.
Always a cool guy.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

With the advent of MTV, the punk uniform became an identity. Lots of US kids wanted an identity, so this became a cool one for some.