laxman
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Manic Street Preachers Discussion MegaThread

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 May 2021, 2:26pm
New album imminent.

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/man ... id-lament/
Ordered the 2CD version earlier today. Orwellian sounds pretty good on first listen.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
14 May 2021, 3:20pm
Marky Dread wrote:
New album imminent.

Ordered the 2CD version earlier today. Orwellian sounds pretty good on first listen.
😎

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Yeah, I liked Orwellian.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 May 2021, 3:44pm
laxman wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
New album imminent.

😎
Not really feeling it. Hopefully the album is better.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
14 May 2021, 4:55pm
Yeah, I liked Orwellian.
Me too.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Sounds really good. Really excited for the record now

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
15 May 2021, 7:33am
Marky Dread wrote:
laxman wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
New album imminent.

😎
It's a really good song but the production is horribly smooth. I honestly thought it was Robbie Williams' new single when it came on the radio, which isn't ideal on any level.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Heston wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 5:00pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
laxman wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
New album imminent.

😎
It's a really good song but the production is horribly smooth. I honestly thought it was Robbie Williams' new single when it came on the radio, which isn't ideal on any level.
I mean most manics records (thb aside) are known for being incredibly slick. But you're right, this is a tad TOO sterile.

ohsoso
Dirty Punk

Post by ohsoso »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 3:35pm
Heston wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
laxman wrote:

😎
I mean most manics records (thb aside) are known for being incredibly slick. But you're right, this is a tad TOO sterile.
well, dave eringa and bradfield is just too safe and boring for me. i still enjoy the songs, but its daft. i still get a kick out of the journal for plague lovers and futurology albums.
bradfields latest solo album is fab. i dream of them doing short conceptual albums/eps or just weird expansive stuff.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

ohsoso wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 2:28pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Heston wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

😎
well, dave eringa and bradfield is just too safe and boring for me. i still enjoy the songs, but its daft. i still get a kick out of the journal for plague lovers and futurology albums.
bradfields latest solo album is fab. i dream of them doing short conceptual albums/eps or just weird expansive stuff.
Idk EMG is a classic. TIMT is really damn good as well. But yeah it seems they shine best when they do their more academic type approach these days. Lifeblood, JFPL, Futurology, and RTF are the best because they break away from the classic manics "formula". I think that SATT would have been really good if they swapped out some of the album tracks for their B Sides. I think they went way too heavy on the ballads in an attempt to make it as radio friendly as possible. This one in particular should have made it on there:

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 3:58pm
ohsoso wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Heston wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:

Idk EMG is a classic. TIMT is really damn good as well. But yeah it seems they shine best when they do their more academic type approach these days. Lifeblood, JFPL, Futurology, and RTF are the best because they break away from the classic manics "formula". I think that SATT would have been really good if they swapped out some of the album tracks for their B Sides. I think they went way too heavy on the ballads in an attempt to make it as radio friendly as possible. This one in particular should have made it on there:
That is a cool track, hadn't heard it before.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Heston wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 7:32pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 3:58pm
ohsoso wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Heston wrote:

That is a cool track, hadn't heard it before.

Also this one is quite good.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

So I finally reached up to the top shelf of my cd collection (going to need a ladder soon) and grabbed the "Gold Against the Soul" deluxe book thing. I had yet to play it since purchase/release.

Laxman had mentioned it was loud. Fucking hell is it loud it's brickwalled to shit. Who ever remastered this should be ashamed. How did it get such poor treatment?

Off I go remastering yet another so called deluxe edition. :rolleyes:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
10 Jul 2021, 11:30am
So I finally reached up to the top shelf of my cd collection (going to need a ladder soon) and grabbed the "Gold Against the Soul" deluxe book thing. I had yet to play it since purchase/release.

Laxman had mentioned it was loud. Fucking hell is it loud it's brickwalled to shit. Who ever remastered this should be ashamed. How did it get such poor treatment?

Off I go remastering yet another so called deluxe edition. :rolleyes:
I think I only gave it two listens and that was enough. I have the vinyl too, perhaps ought to give that a listen.

The Welcome to the Dead Zone song; the Manics must have agreed with RocknRollWhore because it was track 2 on the reissue of that album.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Looks like James had a hand in the remastering with Matt Colton.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia