RockNRollWhore wrote:
05 Sep 2021, 5:42am
Marky Dread wrote:
04 Sep 2021, 4:07pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
04 Sep 2021, 4:00pm
Marky Dread wrote:
04 Sep 2021, 3:42pm

Yeah that was the album we wanted. But GT made the statement they wanted. I wasn't very impressed by them wanting to be as big as G 'n' R. James is a killer guitar player but at that point he was winging it.
Oh don’t get me wrong GT is a fantastic record, I adore the absolutely bloat and ambition of it. It would just be nice to hear the songs in stripped down punk form as well. Come to think of it, outside of THB, they’ve always been incredibly well produced and slick. Even Know Your Enemy has the kitchen sink thrown at it in places
They had Steve Brown on GT who produced The Cult. They wanted to go straight to GEER and bypass The Clash. They didn't sound the same band live.
They tried to get the bomb squad to produce the entire thing initially, which would have most certainly prematurely sabotaged their entire career and gone done as a worse folly than cut the crap.
Counterpoint: could’ve been rad.
Wasn't that just for Repeat? Didn't they also mention that it was only aN associate of the Bomb Squad who actually did the remix. Added nothing to GT and should've been an extra a single.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Guest1

Re: The Manic Street Preachers Discussion MegaThread

Post by Guest1 »

Wolter wrote:
05 Sep 2021, 9:51am
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
04 Sep 2021, 3:42pm

Yeah that was the album we wanted. But GT made the statement they wanted. I wasn't very impressed by them wanting to be as big as G 'n' R. James is a killer guitar player but at that point he was winging it.
Oh don’t get me wrong GT is a fantastic record, I adore the absolutely bloat and ambition of it. It would just be nice to hear the songs in stripped down punk form as well. Come to think of it, outside of THB, they’ve always been incredibly well produced and slick. Even Know Your Enemy has the kitchen sink thrown at it in places
They had Steve Brown on GT who produced The Cult. They wanted to go straight to GEER and bypass The Clash. They didn't sound the same band live.
They tried to get the bomb squad to produce the entire thing initially, which would have most certainly prematurely sabotaged their entire career and gone done as a worse folly than cut the crap.
The Stars and Stripes version of Repeat is pure cheese. Actually sounds like a CTC outtake.
I just thought of a brilliant new idea actually, how about we take classic albums and give them the EET week treatment? Drum machines and all.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
05 Sep 2021, 2:01pm
Wolter wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:

The Stars and Stripes version of Repeat is pure cheese. Actually sounds like a CTC outtake.
I just thought of a brilliant new idea actually, how about we take classic albums and give them the EET week treatment? Drum machines and all.
We've all ready done various versions of CtC down the years.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Marky Dread wrote:
05 Sep 2021, 3:17pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
05 Sep 2021, 2:01pm
Wolter wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Nah I’m saying like take a classic album like Rubber Soul but cover with drum machines and dx7’s and choir chants.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

[quote=RockNRollWhore post_id=627569 time=1630911024 user_id=3378]
[quote="Marky Dread" post_id=627555 time=1630869453 user_id=123]
[quote=RockNRollWhore post_id=627551 time=1630864902 user_id=3378]
[quote=Wolter post_id=627546 time=1630849917 user_id=82]
[quote=RockNRollWhore post_id=627541 time=1630834946 user_id=3378]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Nah I’m saying like take a classic album like Rubber Soul but cover with drum machines and dx7’s and choir chants.
[/quote]

Umm no.
Attachments
R-868573-1309621648.jpeg.jpg
R-868573-1309621648.jpeg.jpg (11.65 KiB) Viewed 2408 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

I’m guessing Kevin Rowland has taken up the challenge with Too-Rye-Aye. Will be interesting done in a CtC style :scared:

https://store.universalmusic.com/dexys/ ... nn5Yi7ppg8

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 8:43am
I’m guessing Kevin Rowland has taken up the challenge with Too-Rye-Aye. Will be interesting done in a CtC style :scared:

Nothing wrong with how it sounded. So is this an attempt to go back to the Northern Soul feel of "Searching" ?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 10:02am
laxman wrote:

Nothing wrong with how it sounded. So is this an attempt to go back to the Northern Soul feel of "Searching" ?
Agreed, but our Kevin is a bit of a perfectionist.

I'm not sure what the changes are, maybe it will be more like how they have played the tracks live in recent years. I'm definitely getting it.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 10:58am
Marky Dread wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 10:02am
laxman wrote:

Agreed, but our Kevin is a bit of a perfectionist.

I'm not sure what the changes are, maybe it will be more like how they have played the tracks live in recent years. I'm definitely getting it.
I'll sit in reserved judgement.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Quick Manics question: A few years back I heard a remixed version of Stay Beautiful on the radio. It sounded much better than the original release, does anyone know where this might exist?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 2:19pm
Quick Manics question: A few years back I heard a remixed version of Stay Beautiful on the radio. It sounded much better than the original release, does anyone know where this might exist?
Possibly the remixed version from reissued Generation Terrorists album. Sounds clearer than the original released single/cd. The keys sound louder around the one minute mark. But the whole thing is pushed to the max just barely under the parameters. Here you can see the original cd single and the remastered version.
Attachments
Stay Beautiful.png

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 2:35pm
Heston wrote:
Possibly the remixed version from reissued Generation Terrorists album. Sounds clearer than the original released single/cd. The keys sound louder around the one minute mark. But the whole thing is pushed to the max just barely under the parameters. Here you can see the original cd single and the remastered version.
This was quite a drastic remix iirc. Maybe the radio just made it sound different.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
I've always preferred the original despite it being a little bit "quiet". I do think the record is too bass heavy though. Bit murky.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 3:03pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
This was quite a drastic remix iirc. Maybe the radio just made it sound different.
Listening to KISS while on magic mushrooms can do strange things to your ears. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 4:38pm
Heston wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 3:03pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Listening to KISS while on magic mushrooms can do strange things to your ears. ;)
Hey, I'm a fun guy.