B-52's vs. R.E.M.

General music discussion.

Whose first three were better?

The B-52's (The B-52's / Wild Planet / Whammy!)
38%
R.E.M. (Murmur / Reckoning / Fables of the Reconstruction)
62%

Total votes: 26

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: B-52's vs. R.E.M.

Post by Kimmelweck »

Went with R.E.M. The apostrophe in B-52’s always turned me off. :shifty:
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 3:58am
Which is why Lifes Rich Pageant is your favourite R.E.M. album?
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 8:32pm
I think you're the only other person I know who regards Fables as highly as I do.
Nah, not the only one. Fables is their best album (after monster, of course)
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

:twitch:
Flex wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 6:20am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I think you're the only other person I know who regards Fables as highly as I do.
Nah, not the only one. Fables is their best album (after monster, of course)
:twitch:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Its a tie and I haven't voted yet. Im like the undecided idiots you hear about in every presidential election.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 7:07am
Its a tie and I haven't voted yet. Im like the undecided idiots you hear about in every presidential election.
Be the true American and not vote.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Went with REM just for Murmur.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I've got to do a deep dive on the B52s, I know little about 'em.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

While I've liked a few things by B-52s, I like the whole of R.E,M.'s IRS catalogue, so it wasn't really a choice.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 8:23pm
I love the highs on the B-52’s, but i find the first three REM albums to be flawless, especially Fables. If I feel like listening to the B-52’s, I usually either listen to the debut or Nude On the Moon, but if I want REM, I tend to dive into the entire IRS catalog.
I know one other person not on here who does too.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 5:28am
Kimmelweck wrote:
:lol: I hadn’t noticed that, but now I dislike Lifes Rich Pageant too.

Seriously though, I had only ever listened to Cosmic Thing from the B-52’s. I listened to their first 3 albums last night for the first time for the sake of the poll. I think I just find Fred Schneider’s delivery a bit on the annoyingly goofy side in a way that gets overly repetitive. I agree with Flex’s comparison to Devo though, and that aspect I like, musically. I’ll give them another listen at some point.

I’ve always liked R.E.M though, everything up to and including Green anyway. Saw them on the Green tour in 1989. I bought the next 3 albums after that (Out of Time, Automatic for the People, and Monster) but I didn’t like those albums nearly as much as the IRS stuff (or Green), and then I kind of tuned them out. I know nothing of their final 6 albums. Of the first 3 albums, I’m probably in the Fables camp too, but these days I'm more likely to just listen to Eponymous before listening to one of the first 3 albums start to finish.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Wolter wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 9:11am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
I love the highs on the B-52’s, but i find the first three REM albums to be flawless, especially Fables. If I feel like listening to the B-52’s, I usually either listen to the debut or Nude On the Moon, but if I want REM, I tend to dive into the entire IRS catalog.
I love Fables and rate it higher than Murmur and Reckoning (which are both excellent albums). It's maybe the best collection of songs they ever did from start to finish. It's got this odd, almost creepy vibe at times. I'm not from the South, but I've always felt the rural South through this album (which interestingly was recorded in London). Their entire IRS output is top notch, but Fables is the best.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kimmelweck wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 10:22am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 5:28am
Kimmelweck wrote:
:lol: I hadn’t noticed that, but now I dislike Lifes Rich Pageant too.

Seriously though, I had only ever listened to Cosmic Thing from the B-52’s. I listened to their first 3 albums last night for the first time for the sake of the poll. I think I just find Fred Schneider’s delivery a bit on the annoyingly goofy side in a way that gets overly repetitive. I agree with Flex’s comparison to Devo though, and that aspect I like, musically. I’ll give them another listen at some point.

I’ve always liked R.E.M though, everything up to and including Green anyway. Saw them on the Green tour in 1989. I bought the next 3 albums after that (Out of Time, Automatic for the People, and Monster) but I didn’t like those albums nearly as much as the IRS stuff (or Green), and then I kind of tuned them out. I know nothing of their final 6 albums. Of the first 3 albums, I’m probably in the Fables camp too, but these days I'm more likely to just listen to Eponymous before listening to one of the first 3 albums start to finish.
Their final 6 albums are tricky. New Adventures in Hi-Fi is really good. Up, Reveal, and Around the Sun were not very good. Accelerate and Collapse into Now were a welcome return (and worth checking out), but could never recapture what they once were or completely erase the bad taste of the previous trio of duds.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 10:22am
A book I taught this past year on new wave suggested that Schneider's voice, however honest or affected, is a satire of the uptight, middle-class white man's voice. Combine that with (esp. in the early years), his fashion of recycled leisure wear from the late 50s/early 60s, there was some mockery going on.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 10:24am
Wolter wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 9:11am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
I love Fables and rate it higher than Murmur and Reckoning (which are both excellent albums). It's maybe the best collection of songs they ever did from start to finish. It's got this odd, almost creepy vibe at times. I'm not from the South, but I've always felt the rural South through this album (which interestingly was recorded in London). Their entire IRS output is top notch, but Fables is the best.
It's Southern Gothic. It's ghosts and haunting. Wolter gets it on a visceral level, whereas I only understand it on an intellectual level, but it sounds like a Faulkner story.