B-52's vs. R.E.M.

General music discussion.

Whose first three were better?

The B-52's (The B-52's / Wild Planet / Whammy!)
38%
R.E.M. (Murmur / Reckoning / Fables of the Reconstruction)
62%

Total votes: 26

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

B-52's vs. R.E.M.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Just posted the video for The B-52's' "Legal Tender" in the YouthToob thread, but thought, hey, let's poll this shit. Whose initial three records were better? R.E.M. is the critics' choice, definitely, basically inventing college rock. But The B-52's created a weird punk/new wave form that was no less creative, with a humour and theatricality that R.E.M. lacked. Place your bets, make your arguments.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: B-52's vs. R.E.M.

Post by Wolter »

I love the highs on the B-52’s, but i find the first three REM albums to be flawless, especially Fables. If I feel like listening to the B-52’s, I usually either listen to the debut or Nude On the Moon, but if I want REM, I tend to dive into the entire IRS catalog.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 8:23pm
I love the highs on the B-52’s, but i find the first three REM albums to be flawless, especially Fables. If I feel like listening to the B-52’s, I usually either listen to the debut or Nude On the Moon, but if I want REM, I tend to dive into the entire IRS catalog.
I think you're the only other person I know who regards Fables as highly as I do.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

I don't actually own anything by the B-52's, I do like some of their debut album, "The B-52's", but I've always just liked REM more ( perhaps edgier?) that may not be the best way to describe them. B-52's were kind of comic book / new wave to me, REM had more substance to their music.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 8:41pm
I don't actually own anything by the B-52's, I do like some of their debut album, "The B-52's", but I've always just liked REM more ( perhaps edgier?) that may not be the best way to describe them. B-52's were kind of comic book / new wave to me, REM had more substance to their music.
I'll suggest in the B-52's defence that conceptually they had a strong connection to art rock. The kitsch wasn't just a gag, but part of a larger critique of American materialism. That said, it became more gimmicky as they went on.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 9:14pm
Sparky wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 8:41pm
I'll suggest in the B-52's defence that conceptually they had a strong connection to art rock. The kitsch wasn't just a gag, but part of a larger critique of American materialism. That said, it became more gimmicky as they went on.
I would agree, B-52's were very connected to the "art rock" movement, again, nothing against them, just favor REM a bit more.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Ive never done much more than scratch the surface of either's catalog. I find the B52's to at least be somewhat amusing but maybe I have REM wrong and my view has been marred by their latter boring/pretentious output.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 10:01pm
Ive never done much more than scratch the surface of either's catalog. I find the B52's to at least be somewhat amusing but maybe I have REM wrong and my view has been marred by their latter boring/pretentious output.
I don't know if you'd find early REM appealing, but the IRS years are miles ahead from when they became huge.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

It's a tough call. I'll listen to both of these but it very much depends on my mood. If you threw in Chronictown, it would be an easier decision.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 10:03pm
revbob wrote:
I don't know if you'd find early REM appealing, but the IRS years are miles ahead from when they became huge.
REM's earlier stuff, when they were touring with the Replacements, is what I enjoy the most. They played a few covers, such as California Dreamin', Have You Ever Seen The Rain & Femme Fatale, but put a unique spin on them in doing so. Later on they became a bit too commercialized for my liking, wasn't as much a fan of them towards the end of their run.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 10:03pm
revbob wrote:
I'm sure younger me wouldn't have. I might enjoy it some now that Im getting old and boring.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

first 2 B52s records are perfect and I still play them quite often. I like one REM song.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

tepista wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 10:38pm
first 2 B52s records are perfect and I still play them quite often. I like one REM song.
I like REM a lot more than this but Im with the werewolf. B-52s were in that Devo mutant punk vein for those first records and they fucking rule. Smart, weird and fun.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Flex wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 10:48pm
tepista wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 10:38pm
I like REM a lot more than this but Im with the werewolf. B-52s were in that Devo mutant punk vein for those first records and they fucking rule. Smart, weird and fun.
Thirded. Fun is the defining difference for me.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

I honestly don't think I know either very well. Probably worth a dive. I do know the European Radio song and Rock Lobster, both which rock.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.