The Jam: Fire & Skill & Disappearing releases

General music discussion.
dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

The Jam: Fire & Skill & Disappearing releases

Post by dave202 »

When The Jam's 'Fire & Skill' box came out I really wanted it but circumstances dictated that it couldn't happen. Now that I am in a slightly better position I tried having a look for it, only to find out it is still out of my reach. OK, there are some copies available at high prices on ebay and the likes, but it seems to have gone as far as buying it new or at a reasonable price. Is this a trend?

This has been a release held up on these boards as something CBS should do with the live legacy of The Clash, but it seems to me if Weller's band's stuff isn't available, CBS have managed the same outcome without any effort, or second hand sellers making a profit.

I can get that some bands and acts who have had their music change hands several times, such as Johnny Thunders, can lead to versions of 'L.A.M.F.' coming out on a multitude of labels, with everyone of them claiming to have the ultimate mixes, but for a major label and major act I would have expected longevity. 'At The BBC' was always advertised as having a limited live album, so I get that, but this is different.

Are these 'ultimate' releases I have yearned after really always going to be out of my reach?

Excuse me for the rant, at least the wine glass isn't out of reach.