Got Any Cool Vinyl?

General music discussion.
Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Re: Got Any Cool Vinyl?

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
25 May 2021, 9:57am
An old classmate post his shit on Instagram, lots of rare international pressings with weird album covers.

Lots of metal but some cool stuff for sure. Case in point.

I remember listening to this at my friends house and being mesmerized by the design on the center label as it went round and round.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
25 May 2021, 9:43am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 May 2021, 9:33am
I no longer have this, but in a Mad Special there was a flexi-disc that had multiple grooves so that you would get one of eight different endings to the song. As a ten year old, this was supremely awesome.
I've never seen one of those, but then again, my parents didn't think too highly of Mad magazine, so I didn't get too many copies of it. I think I got my own compact turntable with speakers (aka record player) when I was around 10 or 11 and yes, anything like this would have been a prized collection, right up there with the Cheech & Chong stuff from a friend of mines older siblings we used to sneak over to my house to listen to.
Dave's not here, man!

(Have you actually listened to that bit lately? It's truly not funny, yet the spread of that line is.)
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 May 2021, 11:09am
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I no longer have this, but in a Mad Special there was a flexi-disc that had multiple grooves so that you would get one of eight different endings to the song. As a ten year old, this was supremely awesome.
I've never seen one of those, but then again, my parents didn't think too highly of Mad magazine, so I didn't get too many copies of it. I think I got my own compact turntable with speakers (aka record player) when I was around 10 or 11 and yes, anything like this would have been a prized collection, right up there with the Cheech & Chong stuff from a friend of mines older siblings we used to sneak over to my house to listen to.
Dave's not here, man!

(Have you actually listened to that bit lately? It's truly not funny, yet the spread of that line is.)
No, I haven't heard that bit in probably over 45 + years (damn I'm old)! But now you've got it in my head, I'm going to have to check it out on YT.
The one I did check out recently was Cheech trying to sing the Knack, "My Sharona", but he's off a bit on the lyrics. Juvenile? Absolutely, but a good example of how lyrics get misconstrued.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
25 May 2021, 11:19am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Dave's not here, man!

No, I haven't heard that bit in probably over 45 + years (damn I'm old)! But now you've got it in my head, I'm going to have to check it out on YT.
The one I did check out recently was Cheech trying to sing the Knack, "My Sharona", but he's off a bit on the lyrics. Juvenile? Absolutely, but a good example of how lyrics get misconstrued.

Generally speaking, drug humour ages poorly. Which is to say, the farther you are past age 23, the lamer it is.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 May 2021, 11:54am
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Dave's not here, man!

Generally speaking, drug humour ages poorly. Which is to say, the farther you are past age 23, the lamer it is.
With marijuana being legal for recreational use in so many places now, the edginess of their humor just isn't that relevant anymore.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
25 May 2021, 1:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 May 2021, 11:54am
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:

Dave's not here, man!

With marijuana being legal for recreational use in so many places now, the edginess of their humor just isn't that relevant anymore.
Maybe that's it. There isn't any edge to talking about drugs anymore.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Know what this thread needs? Some Mats of course!
The Replacements "Tim" on magenta vinyl. Absolutely great album by the way, but I may be a little biased.
Attachments
Mats Tim.jpg

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Sparky wrote:
29 May 2021, 11:54am
Know what this thread needs? Some Mats of course!
The Replacements "Tim" on magenta vinyl. Absolutely great album by the way, but I may be a little biased.
Nice!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

I don't know if this qualifies as cool or horrific, but I have this purple splatter version of Hyaena by the Banshees. Part of the limited issues at the same time as the Combat Rock one on green vinyl (which I also have).
R-13762880-1560600366-3569.jpeg.jpg
R-13762880-1560600366-3569.jpeg.jpg (157.18 KiB) Viewed 2764 times

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

laxman wrote:
29 May 2021, 2:09pm
I don't know if this qualifies as cool or horrific, but I have this purple splatter version of Hyaena by the Banshees. Part of the limited issues at the same time as the Combat Rock one on green vinyl (which I also have).

R-13762880-1560600366-3569.jpeg.jpg
Very nice Laxman! One I've never seen before.

Doesn't take much to qualify, I just wanted to see who still had any vinyl in their collection, bonus points if it's something cool to look at like the disc you posted or is somehow unique, rare or collectible.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Again, I'm a sucker for unique vinyl, so even though I already had this one on LP & CD, I was looking at it online and the wife & daughter got it for my birthday, along with the other Mats "Tim" I posted a few days ago.
The Replacements "Pleased To Meet Me". Great album, produced by Jim Dickinson, who was very well known in Memphis for working with Big Star, the Rolling Stones and many others.
Attachments
Mats PTMM.jpg

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Sparky wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 9:51am
Again, I'm a sucker for unique vinyl, so even though I already had this one on LP & CD, I was looking at it online and the wife & daughter got it for my birthday, along with the other Mats "Tim" I posted a few days ago.
The Replacements "Pleased To Meet Me". Great album, produced by Jim Dickinson, who was very well known in Memphis for working with Big Star, the Rolling Stones and many others.
I've the deluxe reissue 3 x cds and vinyl album. I love coloured vinyl but it's rare it ever sounds as good as its counterpart.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 9:54am
Sparky wrote:
I've the deluxe reissue 3 x cds and vinyl album. I love coloured vinyl but it's rare it ever sounds as good as its counterpart.
I agree, it's pure eye candy that's never been on the turntable. I picked up the Rhino box set as well but only opened the CD's. Same with the reissue of "Don't Tell A Soul" aka "Dead Man's Pop" box set.

**Edited to fix misspelling**
Last edited by Sparky on 01 Jun 2021, 3:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Sparky wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 10:02am
Marky Dread wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 9:54am
Sparky wrote:
I agree, it's pure eye candy that's never been on the turntable. I picked up the Rhino box set as well but only opened the CD's. Same with the reissue of "Don't Tell A Soul" aka "Dean Man's Pop" box set.
😎👍

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Here's a nice translucent blue copy of the last Avoid One Thing album I picked up right before the pandemic, also a Newbury Comics exclusive. My shitty photo skills don't quite do the very nicely done coloring of the vinyl justice, ah well.
Attachments
PXL_20210603_173857222.jpg
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!